Contribute
Register

Post macOS/OS X Geekbench Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first Hackintosh. Do these numbers look OK, or should I maybe further -if possible at all- improve performance? Thanks a lot!View attachment 234976

In motherboard bios settings enable XMP and download the latest version of clover configurator. Use EFI mounter to access EFI folder, then drag a copy of your config.plist to desktop. Right click on the desktop copy and open with clover configurator. In the "Boot" options window select XMPdetectionyes. In CPU section select HWPenable and Artfrequency. You can also set the upper limit for CPU frequency like 4600 which is 4.6 ghz. This allows your system to draw the 4.6 ghz when it's under load and go back to 4.1 when it's not needed. These settings are what makes Skylake more energy efficient than the Haswell CPUs. It also, increases your benchmarks in single and multi core scores.

Hit save in clover before closing then drag your new desktop copy of config.plist to the EFI clover folder and follow the replace command. You may also have to replace the config.plist in your main partition in EFI backups folder if it doesn't change the ram and or CPU frequency readings in about this Mac.

If you try it post another bench to show improvement. The XMP detection also helps when you install 2400mhz ram but the system only detects or lists it as 2166 or something lower than the the actual ram value. It should bump up your score by at least 500 points for each.

Thanks a lot! Not bad.

XMPdetection was already on yes. RAM was already correctly detected as 2400mhz (I think).

I now selected HWPenable and Artfrequency (no clue, so still have to do some reading on those values). Is it common practice to set CPU frequency to 4.6 (4600 in top left box 'Frequency MHZ', right)?

Hack - geekbench 02.jpg

Thanks a lot! Not bad.

XMPdetection was already on yes. RAM was already correctly detected as 2400mhz (I think).

I now selected HWPenable and Artfrequency (no clue, so still have to do some reading on those values). Is it common practice to set CPU frequency to 4.6 (4600 in top left box 'Frequency MHZ', right)?

View attachment 235079

Yes, your CPU runs fine in that range you may need to look at mobo bios to see if overclovking is enabled. Also, check in clover boot screen in options CPU Tuning. Is halt enabler, generate c states, generate p states enabled or checked? These values are set by default in Unibeast and clover bootloaders, try unchecking them if they're checked in clover boot screen menu, then run another bench.

Thanks again! It's now up from 16647 to 16983. Halt Enabler, Generate CStates and Generate PStates were already unchecked.

Looking at the other scores it seems like it's better to configure as an iMac17,1. I'm not sure whether I want to try that. My S/N, MLB, etc are working with iMessage and I do not want to mess with that.

Edit: I think that -as is now- the CPU is running full throttle constantly. At least that is what the Intel Power Gadget seems to indicate. That doesn't seem right, does it?

Hack - geekbench3.jpg

Last edited:
It's not a big thing, but these scores are getting somewhat in my head. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing an obvious setting.

I'm running a GA H170N (latest bios) with two 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT sticks. If I enable XMP in the bios, the board crashes. No obvious google hits on what could cause that. Anyway, not sure whether I need it as it seems that OSX is picking up the correct speed?

From the points that I picked up from earlier feedback as regards the configuration of clover:
XPMDetection=Yes
HWPEnable and UseARTFrequency are both checked
I did not set the CPU Frequency as it seems that I then loose CPU Power saving (correct?)

I'm still considering whether I should use a different system definition. Would that change the performance scores?

Thanks again!

Hack - geekbench4.jpg

It's not a big thing, but these scores are getting somewhat in my head. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing an obvious setting.

I'm running a GA H170N (latest bios) with two 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT sticks. If I enable XMP in the bios, the board crashes. No obvious google hits on what could cause that. Anyway, not sure whether I need it as it seems that OSX is picking up the correct speed?

From the points that I picked up from earlier feedback as regards the configuration of clover:
XPMDetection=Yes
HWPEnable and UseARTFrequency are both checked
I did not set the CPU Frequency as it seems that I then loose CPU Power saving (correct?)

I'm still considering whether I should use a different system definition. Would that change the performance scores?

Thanks again!

View attachment 235422

When I set my CPU frequency at the upper limit when I go to bios I see 3.2 ghz, and a 3.6 ghz frequencies (i5 6500). They both are in a dynamic state or fluctuating readings and they are both active. The CPU frequency setting is for the max turbo setting for your CPU. If it has a base frequency of 4.0 and a turbo frequency of 4.4-4.6 whatever is listed in spec. Set the CPU frequency for the turbo or highest setting. This allows it to reach its maximum potential when it needs to boost. Look up your CPU specs and try setting it at the highest boost frequency and then go to bios after a reboot and check bios to see that it has 2 frequency levels detected.

Another thing to note is you are setting these in you EFI or boot partition, if you have a backup partition on your main drive under EFI Backups folder check to see that you have the same config.plist in both the EFI (boot) partition and the EFI backups partition. I've noticed that when you change you config.plist and it is contradicting what your EFI backup config.plist has for settings they can get corrupted or confused and the values can get scrambled.

Create a folder and place your EFI backup config.plist in there and then replace it with the one you edited for the xmp and hwp settings so you have it in both partitions.

Setting HWPValue not only did not make About This Mac show the proper speed of my CPU, it locked it at 1.6GHz.

Checking HWOEnable and UseARTFrequency made my system completely lose SpeedStep.

According to Geekbench, none of these settings helped improve my performance.

Setting HWPValue not only did not make About This Mac show the proper speed of my CPU, it locked it at 1.6GHz.

Checking HWOEnable and UseARTFrequency made my system completely lose SpeedStep.

According to Geekbench, none of these settings helped improve my performance.

Is it possible you have a ssdt generated that is conflicting with HWP and artfrequency? It's worked great for me and a few others, but I didn't create a custom ssdt or dsdt. Also, did you set CPU frequency to upper limit 4.4-4.6 ghz or at 1.6 ghz by accident? My i5 6500 is running like a champ with these settings.

It must be either 1.6ghz CPU frequency setting or your ssdt dsdt combo is not liking these settings. They may both be trying to do the same thing or job.

Yes. I have ssdt generated from ssdtPRGen.sh.

I set it to 4800 which is what my CPU is clocked at and it locked my CPU at 1.6GHz.

Normally, the CPU SpeedSteps between 900MHz to 4.8GHz, but with the two checkboxes enabled and HWPValue blank, my CPU was stuck at 4.8GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back