Contribute
Register

Poor performance with NVMe and High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Samsung 960 NVME is slow too. My system is HFS+J.

I tried TRIM on/off and I also tried VBoxHfs.efi this is worse than HFSPlus.efi.

Results;

HFSPlus.efi
800MB/s Write / 2500MB/s

VBoxHFS.efi
650MB/s Write / 2000MB/s

I attached all problem reporting files. Could you please tell me what is missing or this is the common problem? Thank you.

I don't think VboxHFS vs. HFSPlus will make any difference. That code is only used at boot time.
TRIM is always enabled for NVMe. No way that I know of to turn it off.

I don't think VboxHFS vs. HFSPlus will make any difference. That code is only used at boot time.
TRIM is always enabled for NVMe. No way that I know of to turn it off.
So, why this slowness happening?
is this the common problemon High Sierra?

Some people have reported using CCC to clone APFS->HSF+J (external), then back to target HFS+J.
(it works because CCC is file-based cloning software)
Rehabman,

I figured out the performance issue. Just to report back, it was due to the additional PCIe cards plugged in so the system bios gave the NVMe card 1 PCIe lane (instead of the normal 4).

My Samsung 960 NVME is slow too.

My NVMe Samsung 960 Pro with APFS in High Sierra was slowing down boots and probably also breaking sleep (I say probably because I didn't use cloned OS files during my tests, though I believe the OS and clover were materially the same). Updating the 960 Pro to the latest firmware 2B6QCXP7 didn't help. I tested with different motherboards and different CPUs. Disk performance otherwise was very good, however.

I went back to an AHCI SM951 M.2 drive for now. The SM951 works perfectly for me in High Sierra with APFS. I miss the size and speed of the 960 Pro, but in practice I don't notice the difference.

Last edited:
Rehabman,

I figured out the performance issue. Just to report back, it was due to the additional PCIe cards plugged in so the system bios gave the NVMe card 1 PCIe lane (instead of the normal 4).
What did you change in your bios to make it work then?

I have the same issue with Samsung 960pro and High Sierra.
Max 800mb/s write, but it drops usually to around 600mb/s.
On sierra the same drive was around 1700mb/s for write.

You can see in the graph that there are peaks that are high speed,
but only very short.

View media item 190561
Has anyone a fast 960pro setup running?

I had to move my graphics card from a x16 to a x8 slot. Based on all the info on the web, you won't really see much performance difference moving your graphics card from a x16 slot to a x8 slot. Try it and see if you can notice. Maybe during hard crunching games you might. The benefit is that the BIOS can now give your NVMe card the x4 lanes that it wants.

I have the same issue with Samsung 960pro and High Sierra.
Max 800mb/s write, but it drops usually to around 600mb/s.
On sierra the same drive was around 1700mb/s for write.

You can see in the graph that there are peaks that are high speed,
but only very short.

View media item 190561
Has anyone a fast 960pro setup running?

Has your drive been converted to APFS? Because it shouldn't be that slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back