Motherboard
Gigabyte Gaming 5
CPU
Intel i7 4690K
Graphics
Gigabyte 1080 8GB
Peculiar Issue with Mobo Splash Screen Hang [Resolved]

Hi all,

I hope I am posting this in the right area and praying that someone recognizes this issue. This post will be a bit wordy, in which I apologize, though this appears to be very peculiar and I want to make sure all the details are here. But first...

Build Specs:
*Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5
CPU: Intel i7 4690k
GPU: Gigabyte 960 4GB
Mem: 32GB (4x8) Crucial Ballistix Tactical
And just in case it's pertinent the Power Supply is Corsair RM650x

This is my first build, in which I have a SSD running El Cap and a SSHD running Windows 10. Both systems have been running fine for the last month, except the typical el cap problems with usb3, software and some external hardware compatibility. For this purpose, I wanted to clean install Yosemite since I know that it supports everything I need for work purposes. Rather than wipe my current SSD and try to install Yosemite, I decided to add a 3rd drive, just a regular 7200 disk drive, to test install Yosemite to ensure I could do it properly and trouble shoot before I wipe the SSD.

After being unable to get Yosemite to run smooth (separate convo but I know what I did wrong there), I decide to call it a day and remove that drive so that I could get back to my standard setup with the 2 drives/ 2 OS. However now, I am getting a hang on the Mobo splash screen.

*Here is where it gets peculiar, making it difficult for me to find any tips to troubleshoot online. When I disconnect all hard drives and boot, I initially get the hang on the splash screen, but upon reset it boots to bios with no problems. Power down, add one drive, power up, boots single drive/OS no problem (tested both windows and mac separate). If I power down again, upon restart it freezes on the mobo splash screen and I have to repeat the process to get anything to boot again (Disconnect, reset after first boot to get into bios, add drive, rinse & repeat). This is 100% consistent. Also I should note that when there are no drives connected, the mobo has 3 boot options: "Mac OSX," "Mac OSX" again, and "EUFI OS." Something tells me this is the issue, but I don't know how to fix.

Disconnected all USBs, same results. I have tried rotating the memory as well as testing 1 chip at a time. Same results. Thinking it was an issue regarding the above Mac OSX/ UEFI boot options when no drives were present, I reset cmos, but they are still there and I still get the hang. Tried unplugging sata cables and testing one at a time, same results.

After posting this, I will take the build apart and piece it back together in hopes that maybe something just wiggled loose when I put the other hard drive in (though I'm doubtful that this is it); I just don't know what else to try. :banghead:

If anyone has seen this before or has any idea what I screwed up to make this happen, any help or tips would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks!!

Update:

I was able to fix it just now and I don't fully understand what happened but I can speculate and leave this here in case anyone else has the same issue.

Isolated the drive that I attempted to put Yosemite on and connected it. Would not boot by itself (it had a somewhat functional OS on it, but I gave up configuring it when it would hang on the apple loading screen half way through booting). Plugged in a usb and booted clover, which then let me boot the OS on the drive. It actually booted up and upon updates/ restart, no more mobo hang. Plugged in the rest of my drives and configured the boot order I wanted and have yet to have another mobo hang. My speculation is that the Yosemite OS communicated to the mobo that it was restarting to finish some type of update/install, and whenever the mobo would get restarted from another drive, it would try to complete it? I don't think that's how mobos work, but my system works as it did before, so I am ecstatic.

Hope this helps anyone else that may experience a similar issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back