Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!!
I have a HP 8300 i7-3770 HD4000 and just installed 10.12.5 easily but my audio doesn't work. I feel liked I tried everything. Can someone direct me to a solution?
I used Voodoo HDA: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...3470-quad-core-at-newegg.191143/#post-1246982

I put together two systems...one needed the 2.7.3 version in the post above; the other wouldn't work with it but worked fine with the new 2.8.8 version....dunno why.

I agree with all the mentions of the cheap audio adapter though...solves the problem for under $7 and no headaches: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

+1 for the USB adapter. Works every time on any system, guaranteed. It's really too bad HP didn't use something like the ALC 887 audio chip which we have a kext in MultiBeast for. Would make this highly Mac compatible system 100 % compatible without the need to install even Voodoo HDA or an adapter. For the quality and value you get for such a low price it's hard to complain.

A Note on BIOS/UEFI flashing for the HP 8300/6300

Was just updating the BIOS for an HP 6300. It was very old, from 2012. (V02.02) I tried to update to the most current, 3.04 but it failed. Looked into it further and HP requires to flash the v02.99 first. Only then will the 03.04 update work. So I retried, then it worked. Many of these older HP machines will never have had the BIOS updated before people buy them. I'm sure that Sierra would fail to install on the older 02.02 version that the HP 6300 came with.

Take home point is: If your HP 8300/6300 comes with BIOS v02.22 or older, update it to v02.99 first. You can stop there if you'd like to or update once more to get to 03.04. The flash up to 03.04 is optional, you can stay at 02.99 and the Sierra install will work. I ran the HP Qflash utility within Windows 10. Internet Explorer or Edge must be set as your default browser.

Here's some of the detailed info from HP:
Screen Shot 14.jpg

Screen Shot 13.jpg

Last edited:
Note that you don't actually need to have Windows installed to upgrade the BIOS. You can update to a new BIOS version form within the BIOS itself so the installed OS doesn't matter.

I finally had a bit of free time and was able to install the Sierra 10.12.5 update.

As expected, all I had to do was update directly from the App Store as you would on any real Mac.

After the update finishes, the Nvidia web driver will pop up saying an update is available. Just follow the on screen directions to update.

Last edited:
That's a standard PCI-e card. It can fit in the slot next to the Wifi/Bluetooth card.
Isn't the slot next to the Wifi/Bluetooth card the one you need/want to use for a graphics card?

Isn't the slot next to the Wifi/Bluetooth card the one you need/want to use for a graphics card?

There are two PCI-e slots besides the one used by the Wifi/Bluetooth card. As long as you use a single slot, low profile video card, you can use the last slot for your Firewire card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back