Contribute
Register

pastrychef's testing machine - HP Elite 8300 SFF - i7-3770 - GT 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two PCI-e slots besides the one used by the Wifi/Bluetooth card. As long as you use a single slot, low profile video card, you can use the last slot for your Firewire card.
Thanks, that's my problem. I bought a dual slot GTX1050 and it was covering what I was looking for.

This is my first post to this thread. I have an 8300 i7-3770 minitower and this is my first Hackintosh system. Thanks to pastrychef and others here, I have had mostly great success in getting this machine up and running with Sierra. However, I am having trouble with Firewire using the StarTech PCI1394MP card. This is a 1394a PCI (not PCIe) card with TI chipset that reportedly works with Hackintosh and audio interfaces (my intended use). I chose this card because I have no FW800 devices and could avoid having to use adapter cables.

At first the card was not recognized at all. Then I saw pastrychef's post indicating success after deleting AppleHPET.kext. After deleting that kext I finally saw my Firewire ports in System Information. I plugged in my Presonus Firewire audio interface and it was functioning. But then the system freezes started, usually within a minute of startup, and I couldn't do anything until I reinstalled the kext. Has no one else had problems removing this kext?

It's not a good idea to remove the HPET kext on the 8300 with Sierra installed. It was once necessary to do this on the Elite 8000 to be able to install OS X. It worked quite well. Not so much for Sierra and the 8300. If you have a PCI-e slot open on your motherboard, you could use this card from Syba https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DQ0KD2/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 which gives you two FW 400 ports.

This is my first post to this thread. I have an 8300 i7-3770 minitower and this is my first Hackintosh system. Thanks to pastrychef and others here, I have had mostly great success in getting this machine up and running with Sierra. However, I am having trouble with Firewire using the StarTech PCI1394MP card. This is a 1394a PCI (not PCIe) card with TI chipset that reportedly works with Hackintosh and audio interfaces (my intended use). I chose this card because I have no FW800 devices and could avoid having to use adapter cables.

At first the card was not recognized at all. Then I saw pastrychef's post indicating success after deleting AppleHPET.kext. After deleting that kext I finally saw my Firewire ports in System Information. I plugged in my Presonus Firewire audio interface and it was functioning. But then the system freezes started, usually within a minute of startup, and I couldn't do anything until I reinstalled the kext. Has no one else had problems removing this kext?

I stopped using the PCI Firewire card due to instability after deleting the AppleHPET.kext. I never found a way to get the card recognized otherwise.

I stopped using the PCI Firewire card due to instability after deleting the AppleHPET.kext. I never found a way to get the card recognized otherwise.

Ah, I see. Thanks. After some research it appears AppleHPET.kext causes an IRQ conflict with the FW PCI card. I think my next step is to try a PCIe card to see if that works. Most working FW installs are using PCIe and the Syba cards seem to be the current favorite.

Interesting side note: Firewire shows up as a network port, so it's not as if it is totally unrecognized.

Hey Guys,

I finally got my 8300 SFF with i3-3220 CPU, 4 GB of RAM and a MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP GPU. Created a macOS 10.12.5 USB drive with Unibeast without any hassle, copied the latest nVidia Web Drivers, Multibeast, Clover Configurator onto it. I set up my UEFI the way @pastrychef (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...hine-hp-elite-8300-sff-i7-3770-gt-630.199712/) and @samcat116 (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/sangheili-hp-elite-8300-sff-gtx-1050ti.219446/) suggested. Booted easily into macOS installer, used only the default Clover flags. Had a little problem with the EFI partition, since I first installed Windows 10 and the space for macOS's EFI folder wasn't enough, but managed to solve it (solution: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-device-for-requested-operation-error.168286/). Installed macOS, booted to the desktop. Until this point everything worked like a charm. I noticed, that samcat116 (boot to desktop -> install Web Drivers -> generate SSDT -> Multibeast -> VoodooHDA -> iMessage activation) and pastrychef (boot to desktop -> Multibeast -> generate SSDT -> HDMIAudio 1.1 -> sudo pmset -a autopoweroff 0 -> rename EHC1 to EH01 and rename EHC2 to EH02 -> install Web Drivers + nvda_drv=1) used a different order/approach to set things up.

As a side note, I don't know if it counts, but I logged in to my iCloud account during the installation, I could later see the machine online as iMac 27 Late 2013 (14,2).

Problems:
1. First I used samcat116's method, installed Web Drivers (was ok, but the resolution stayed the same 1280x1024 and couldn't change it), but generating the SSDT showed error, something about Ivy Bridge with this SMBIOS will not work well. Checked it, and hell yeah, it was 14,2. The installation automatically set it to this iMac 27 Late 2013 identifier. Than I thought it is time to use Multibeast. I chose all the drivers, bootloaders, etc. that was suggested by both samcat116 and pastrychef and the installation went ok, so I rebooted.
2. Finishing the boot sequence I noticed that the resolution still hasn't changed and the SMBIOS somehow stayed the same 14,2, which was bad. I thought, Multibeast couldn't change it, so I used vineethp's Clover Configurator method (https://tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-configure-your-systems-smbios-correctly.198155/). Did everything exactly as in the thread, but no luck, SMBIOS stayed the same.
3. And at last there is a new method for enabling nVidia Web Drivers in Clover (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-method-for-enabling-nvidia-web-drivers-in-clover.202341/), I don't know if it is needed, none of them mentioned it.

And this was the end, I had to sleep a few hours before work :D I can boot into the system, but SMBIOS, resolution and SSDT's are wrong. samcat116 credits pastrychef, but the order of installation differs a bit, which is confusing for me. samcat116's machine and mine differs only in the CPU, so I don't know why the guide doesn't work for me.

I'm more than sure, that I will start it from scratch again, but I don't know what would be the perfect order of installing things. I have a feeling, that things went south, when I logged in my iCloud account during the setup...

Any ideas?

Last edited:
@karoli9 :
  1. Be sure that, when you run MultiBeast, it installs to your boot drive. Also, be sure that when you reboot, you are rebooting from where MultiBeast installed Clover.
  2. You can use Clover Configurator to change the SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac13,2.
  3. I suggest that you DO NOT log in to iCloud until you have completed your installation and set up the SMBIOS, serial, UUID, etc.
  4. The new method to enable the Nvidia web drivers is required for Sierra and should be followed. (when I wrote this guide, I installed El Capitan and the old method to enable Nvidia web drivers were used.)

@karoli9 :
  1. Be sure that, when you run MultiBeast, it installs to your boot drive. Also, be sure that when you reboot, you are rebooting from where MultiBeast installed Clover.
  2. You can use Clover Configurator to change the SMBIOS from iMac14,2 to iMac13,2.
  3. I suggest that you DO NOT log in to iCloud until you have completed your installation and set up the SMBIOS, serial, UUID, etc.
  4. The new method to enable the Nvidia web drivers is required for Sierra and should be followed. (when I wrote this guide, I installed El Capitan and the old method to enable Nvidia web drivers were used.)

Thank you for the fast reply!

1. I am sure it was the boot drive, though I will double check it again, to be sure.
2. I used Clover Configurator to change it, when Multibeast failed (after using it, in Clover Configurator it was still 14,2), but it didn't change anything in "About this Mac", though when I loaded the config.plist file into the Configurator after setting 13,2 with it, it showed 13,2. Strange.
3. Once I logged in during the install, it sticked to iMac 27 Late 2013 (no matter if I deleted from my Apple ID or tinkered with Multibeast or Clover Configurator), I think mainly this was the problem...I will even disconnect the LAN cable next time :D
4. I will follow the guide, of course. Haven't you had problems when upgrading from El Capitan to Sierra because of this (I know you didn't, rhetorical question)? Does it mean, if you already enabled the web drivers in El Capitan, It'll work even in Sierra? Just curiuos.

And extra: do I need HDMIAudio 1.1 or VoodooHDA, to get audio through my MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP (I never use jack connectors, only HDMI)?

Some news on HDMI audio / Voodoo HDA for the HP 6300/8300 - system definition iMac 13,2

I've been testing out an HP 6300 HTPC with I5-3470 and GT 640 GPU. Installed Sierra 10.12.5 and the most recent Voodoo HDA from Sourceforge. It's not in Multibeast yet. It's the 4-27-17 (version 2.9.0d10) I installed the kext to /Library/Extensions with Kext Beast from the tonymacx86 downloads section on this site. One other note. The GT640 works OOB with Sierra so I didn't need to install the Nvidia web drivers. Those with Pascal graphics cards will still need to have those working before trying this.

After installation I simply selected the middle of the three HDMI audio choices in sound output prefs and got working HDMI audio. No other scripts needed to be run and no other kexts were installed. Not sure if this will work with all Nvidia graphics cards so if others can test with their systems and report here that would be great. So far the audio quality has been free of all the usual V.HDA problems like hissing sounds, pops etc.

Update: The VoodooHDA 2.9.0 kext (attached below) is fully working with analog audio too. It turns out that analog audio is not working after the second reboot. The HDMI audio still works fully though.
Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 9.39.10 AM.png

Quite impressed with how Mac like everything is when running Sierra 10.12.5 on this system. Hope it stays that way with High Sierra.

Attachments

• VoodooHDA.kext-2.9.0d10.zip
    158.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
@karoli9 :

It really sounds like you have Clover installed in more than one location and you are booting from the wrong one.

As per trs96, I would try using VoodooHDA first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back