Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who still has concerns about the stability of High Sierra and/or APFS...
Screen Shot 2017-11-20 at 5.31.10 PM.png

It's been running really well here. I just updated to latest Clover and Lilu and needed to restart.

That is responsible for NVRAM emulation. It should not have anything to do with your overclock. Maybe the NVRAM got corrupt and you need to clear it. You can do it from Terminal with:
Code:
sudo nvram -c

I have an interesting problem that maybe someone here has encountered. I've been running a VIII Gene/6700K/GTX970 build for the last two years without any trouble. Today I upgraded to a 7700K (delidded) and the computer still boots into OS X perfectly fine. I was able to run a Geekbench score: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4960331. So far, so good.

The problem is that I'm no longer able to get into the BIOS setup. When I press F2 from the boot screen, I get a black screen and it hangs there. It never makes it to the setup screen. The mobo LCD says A9, which is listed as "start of setup" in the manual. If I don't interrupt the boot and let it run, it makes it into Clover and OS X every time. I'm typing this post from the system right now.

I've tried pressing the CLR CMOS button but it didn't do anything. I've pulled out the GPU and tried onboard video, but that didn't help either. I haven't tried flashing the BIOS yet (v. 3504), but honestly, I don't want to try anything too drastic since I'm able to boot right now and I'm afraid of bricking this system. However, I can't claim any of the CPU upgrade goodness until I can get into setup to overclock!

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have an interesting problem that maybe someone here has encountered. I've been running a VIII Gene/6700K/GTX970 build for the last two years without any trouble. Today I upgraded to a 7700K (delidded) and the computer still boots into OS X perfectly fine. I was able to run a Geekbench score: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4960331. So far, so good.

The problem is that I'm no longer able to get into the BIOS setup. When I press F2 from the boot screen, I get a black screen and it hangs there. It never makes it to the setup screen. The mobo LCD says A9, which is listed as "start of setup" in the manual. If I don't interrupt the boot and let it run, it makes it into Clover and OS X every time. I'm typing this post from the system right now.

I've tried pressing the CLR CMOS button but it didn't do anything. I've pulled out the GPU and tried onboard video, but that didn't help either. I haven't tried flashing the BIOS yet (v. 3504), but honestly, I don't want to try anything too drastic since I'm able to boot right now and I'm afraid of bricking this system. However, I can't claim any of the CPU upgrade goodness until I can get into setup to overclock!

Any ideas?
Ling314, I have exactly the same Asus motherboard, and the manual in 3.2 BIOS Setup Program says that the way to get into BIOS setup is to press the keyboard Delete key during power on self test (POST), i.e. as soon as the boot/restart process begins, well before the boot menu appears.

I know this works consistently.

Yes, I also use the Delete key to get in to BIOS.

I believe the ROG splash screen that we all disable says either F2 or DEL to enter setup. I've never had a problem getting into it with F2 since my Apple wireless keyboard doesn't have a proper delete key (and Fn-backspace doesn't work).

I hooked up a proper keyboard and I'm still getting the same behavior when using the DEL key.

Hmm... If you still can't get in to BIOS, the only other thing I can think of would be to follow directions on doing a "flash back" of the BIOS. Unfortunately, that would clear all your settings and you'd have to re-do your overclocking.

Hmm... If you still can't get in to BIOS, the only other thing I can think of would be to follow directions on doing a "flash back" of the BIOS. Unfortunately, that would clear all your settings and you'd have to re-do your overclocking.
It could be your keystrokes aren't being detected -- have you tried switching your USB keyboard to other ports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back