Contribute
Register

pastrychef's build - Asus Maximus VIII Gene - i7-7700K - GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah... I like the very Mac-like look.

Last night, I decided to update Clover and all the hackintosh related kexts to the latest versions. Everything continues to work fine including sleep/wake, wake-on-LAN, Messages/Continuity/Handoff, etc.

I did have to set "darkwake=0" in Clover as Stork did.

Last edited:
Last night, I decided to update Clover and all the hackintosh related kexts to the latest versions. Everything continues to work fine including sleep/wake, wake-on-LAN, Messages/Continuity/Handoff, etc.

I did have to set "darkwake=0" in Clover as Stork did.
Hi pastrychef,

sounds great. I have an overall question reg exact this topic. Why did you do it?

Why did you update Clover when everything is working smooth (I assume it did)? Someone, somewhere in summertime told NOT to change a running system. Myself, I´m running 10.11.6 right now and I don´t plan to update to Sierra in the near future (part of being nervous to crash my stable system, part of app/plugin problems under Sierra).

But something pops up in my head when you wrote "latest kext versions".
What is the benefit of them? Do they run better/more stable than the "old ones"? Even under El Captain?
And what about the Clover update itself? Is it only required for Sierra or do 10.11 also benefit from it?

I´m really looking forward to your (or anybody else of course) opinion...

best
Michael

Looking at the latest Clover Configurator, I saw that they added some Skylake specific features (and, I assume, bug fixes) so I wanted to update with the hope of having things run as reliably as I possibly could.

Same goes for the kexts. RehabMan updates these kexts quite often. I assume they also address previously unknown bugs and/or to add new features.

Clover itself is not version specific so it should have no issues with El Capitan. Most of the time, the kexts seem to work across different versions of macOS too, unless specifically noted.

Of course, it's always wise to have backup before you start messing with a perfectly functional system. This is true wither you are on a hackintosh, a Mac, or any computer.

Last edited:
Looking at the latest Clover Configurator, I saw that they added some Skylake specific features (and, I assume, bug fixes) so I wanted to update with the hope of having things run as reliably as I possibly could.

Same goes for the kexts. RehabMan updates these kexts quite often. I assume they also address previously unknown bugs and/or to add new features.

Clover itself is not version specific so it should have no issues with El Capitan. Most of the time, the kexts seem to work across different versions of macOS too, unless specifically noted.

Of course, it's always wise to have backup before you start messing with a perfectly functional system. This is true wither you are on a hackintosh, a Mac, or any computer.
Hi pastrychef,
thank you very much for the insight. Helps a lot clearing things up in my head.
Did you "add" (during your update procedure) any Skylake specific flags? Or did you leave any settings untouched and only update to a newer version?

Best
Michael

I tested them on one reboot and the results were not good so I reverted back to how it was. My assumption is that those settings are there to benefit those who have not made an ssdt.aml file. Since I have one, I think using them only caused conflicts.

Is the Codec Commander kext required only for speakers attached to the mobo audio ports? Do I need it if I'm using Bluetooth speakers ?

Is the Codec Commander kext required only for speakers attached to the mobo audio ports? Do I need it if I'm using Bluetooth speakers ?

I don't know. But you can easily try with and without it.

I noticed that you are using the Noctua NH-D15S cooler. Any issue with space and memory or GPU? I fitted the NH-U12S but not sure if that would be sufficient if I try OC. Any recommendations?

No, I don't have any clearance issues with RAM. The NH-D15S has an asymmetrical design which gives enough room for a video card to be installed on mATX motherboards and also has little cutouts on the bottom of the heatsink to give enough room for RAM to be installed.
noctua_nh_d15s_9_2_1.jpg noctua_nh_d15s_9.jpg

Your NH-U12S should still be very good at overclocking. Noctua has a nice chart here:
CPU coolers retail TDP Guidelines & Cooler Heights

I achieved my best overclock by delidding my CPU and using CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra between the CPU die and IHS. I also used the same Liquid Ultra between IHS and Noctua. With this, my system idles at about 27-29C and goes to 69C at full load. The CoolLaboartory Liquid Ultra is a bit expensive (a single syringe is good for 1-2 installations) and care is needed for application, but the results make it well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back