Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

yeah sure, but please only create the guide for upgrading to Sonoma when the first public beta comes out
I was just focused on “How to update OpenCore from release to release” rather than anything to do directly with MacOS.

I was just focused on “How to update OpenCore from release to release” rather than anything to do directly with MacOS.
ahh, ok! :)

Yes. Please do a write up. I've never used OCAT. I've always updated manually as detailed here.

This is a quick guide to inform newbies how to update OpenCore using OCAT. Keep in mind: You should update and test OpenCore on a backup USB stick, so that if something bad happens, your main SSD’s OpenCore will still be bootable. Or keep a bootable USB stick as a backup; this write up assumes you keep a backup on a USB stick.
  1. Download: Download OCAT from https://github.com/ic005k/OCAuxiliaryTools - Click RELEASES and download the latest release for your OS. Typically that will be OCAT_Mac.dmg.
  2. Mount and Copy: After downloading the OCAT_Mac.dmg file, open and mount the DMG file, and drag the OCAT file ("OCAuxilliaryTools") to your Mac's \Applications directory.
  3. Get past Gatekeeper security checks: Right-Click on the file \Applications\OCAuxilliaryTools and select OPEN. Select "OPEN" at the 'macOS cannot verify...' prompt.
  4. OCAT opens.
  5. All steps following assume you have a working Hackintosh with an EFI setup that's already copied to your SSD's ESP (EFI) partition. You could also do these steps on a USB stick with an ESP (EFI) partition.
  6. In OCAT, go to Edit/Mount ESP. At the Mount ESP partition prompt, select your SSD's ESP partition. Click 'Mount and open Config.plist' and your current config.plist opens.
  7. Select Edit/Update OpenCore and Kexts.
  8. The 'Sync OC -> x.x.x' window appears.
  9. Click "Get the latest version of OpenCore", and click OK at the successfully updated prompt.
  10. On the left side of the window, select "Select All", then "Check for Kexts updates", then "Update Kexts" (This only appears if any Kext updates are possible)
  11. Click Start Sync. The window disappears and the message appears "Successfully synced to OpenCore x.x.x"; click OK.
  12. Click File/Save. Your EFI config.plist is now saved, updated, and valid.
  13. If the icon to the right of the floppy disk is red, click it to see and identify any problems. Correct any problems, then save again to finalize your config.plist. For example, to upgrade to OC92, one must type "Auto" in a field in one of the sections within the OCAT tool.
  14. All done! Test your new EFI with the latest OpenCore in place!
Note that updating OCAT (the GUI tool) and updating OpenCore (the boot environment) are two completely different things. Every time you open OCAT, it will try to auto-update itself; you won’t need to worry about that. But follow the steps described above to ensure you’re keeping OpenCore up to date for your Hackintosh boot environment.

Last edited:
Yes. Please do a write up. I've never used OCAT. I've always updated manually as detailed here.
Hey Chef. @trs96 posted this a while back, nice work. (forgot the link, doh)

This is a quick guide to inform newbies how to update OpenCore using OCAT. Keep in mind: You should update and test OpenCore on a backup USB stick
Here's a video guide showing how to do this. Makes it easier to learn for "visual learners" and those that don't speak English as a first language.

Apple killed IO80211FamilyLegacy support in Sonoma. This means that even Apple made BCM94360xxx cards will no longer work.

While it's still possible to install and run Sonoma on this motherboard, "everything just works" is no longer true. Things like AirDrop will be broken. I expect more things to break as the end of Intel support in macOS draws closer.

I have decided I will not be upgrading any of my hacks beyond Ventura and I will no longer be updating the EFI folders.

It was a fun ride. Thanks for sticking around.
That's unfortunate, but more than understandable. On July 15, 2018, I ordered the hardware and have been working with it for 5 years. An excellent PC, which will continue to function superbly for a long time even without an update. Thank you for the grand implementation and the support, which was incredibly precise, fast, and friendly. Thank you, pastrychef!

That's unfortunate, but more than understandable. On July 15, 2018, I ordered the hardware and have been working with it for 5 years. An excellent PC, which will continue to function superbly for a long time even without an update. Thank you for the grand implementation and the support, which was incredibly precise, fast, and friendly. Thank you, pastrychef!
I can't add words to this. Thanks PastryChef!

If using a GPU in slot #2 is there anything I need to change in the EFI's you supply @pastrychef ? I am currently using it without mods other than adding my own SMBIOS.

I'm, trying to debug why I can receive AirPlay from my MBA to my Hack but if I send it from the Hack it get a blackscreen on the MBA. I have iGPU enabled and working.

My top pcie connector apparently is broken, some of the contact pins are stuck down, not sure how to explain it or how it happen.

Back