Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Thanks, done.

Hi @jabro23 -

Make sure you've enabled the iGPU for output in the BIOS.

If it is enabled in the BIOS, think you have to patch the Framebuffers. The detailed description is here. Although the Asus ROG Strix 370-G Gaming isn't one of the pre-built framebuffers, there are a number of Asus MBs that seem to use the same framebuffer, so you might want to start with those. Also, in the thread (173 pages!) someone may have posted the framebuffer.

I was able to get the iGPU to work somewhat on my rig by following the framebuffer patching process, but it never fully worked -- I would lose the display after a sleep/wake cycle, and it would only work if I unplugged/replugged the monitor from the HDMI port. There was an boot argument that fixed it, but after a few updates in OpenCore, macOS and WhateverGreen, the boot argument didn't fix it. Since I never really use the onboard graphics -- this was just for fun to see if I could get it to work -- I just didn't bother troubleshooting it.

Good luck!

Ted

Hi, I have a question about Ventura 13.3.1. Is there a graphics problem with Radeon 580 and Z370 (Gigabyte)? I never had a problem until now. It seems that after some "stress" on the graphic card it totally crash the computer. Working with Affinity and Darktable for about 15 minutes and whole computer dies. Same with a simple game. Can't see any trace of a crash report other than Bluetooth has a bug-type 309.
I have booth Linux POP_OS and Windows 11 running on this machine and they do not crash.
I was hoping to read something in the crash report, but can't find anything so far.
Other apps, like Safari Chrome or whatever, does not cause a crash.

Perhaps someone else had similar experience?

Well I found something eventually about a gpu reset, however I don't know how to understand it.

Attachments

• Kernel_2023-05-09-165742.pdf
    24.9 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hi, I have a question about Ventura 13.3.1. Is there a graphics problem with Radeon 580 and Z370 (Gigabyte)? I never had a problem until now. It seems that after some "stress" on the graphic card it totally crash the computer. Working with Affinity and Darktable for about 15 minutes and whole computer dies. Same with a simple game. Can't see any trace of a crash report other than Bluetooth has a bug-type 309.
I have booth Linux POP_OS and Windows 11 running on this machine and they do not crash.
I was hoping to read something in the crash report, but can't find anything so far.
Other apps, like Safari Chrome or whatever, does not cause a crash.

Perhaps someone else had similar experience?

Well I found something eventually about a gpu reset, however I don't know how to understand it.

I have not read about any issues with 13.3.1... Maybe someone else?

I have not read about any issues with 13.3.1... Maybe someone else?
Thanks for replay! It happens all the time now. I did not do a clean install when upgrading to Ventura from previous version, maybe I shall try that now. It's a bit odd, I hear the graphics card spinn up ever so little and then poff, stone dead. Only happens in photo editing and a little gaming. Tried to reinstall Darktable (Raw editor) and Affinity photo, but it did not help. This does not happen in Linux POPos or Windows, on the same machine, so hopefully its not the graphic card itself.

Thanks for replay! It happens all the time now. I did not do a clean install when upgrading to Ventura from previous version, maybe I shall try that now. It's a bit odd, I hear the graphics card spinn up ever so little and then poff, stone dead. Only happens in photo editing and a little gaming. Tried to reinstall Darktable (Raw editor) and Affinity photo, but it did not help. This does not happen in Linux POPos or Windows, on the same machine, so hopefully its not the graphic card itself.

I don' know how much a clean install will help...

You mentioned the fan... Maybe monitor the GPU's temps in macOS. iStat Menus should report GPU temps...

I don' know how much a clean install will help...

You mentioned the fan... Maybe monitor the GPU's temps in macOS. iStat Menus should report GPU temps...
Thanks pastrychef, You probably right. I think I know the reason now. I have one 4K monitor connected to thunderbolt and one ordinary 1920x1080 display connected to HDMI. When I disconnect the HDMI my machine does not crash and the other way around. I see in the forums here this is a common problem, unfortunately. I thought Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse was OK but obviously not. What a pity!

Edit: So finally I found what was wrong, at least on my machine, the one in my profile. I use macOS 13.4 and OC 9.2, iMac 19.1. I have stress tested it with Unigine Heaven and also Valley. I tested both with AAPL,ig-platform-id 00009B3E and as headless with 0300913E and with igpu activated but not connected. Dortanias guide.
The result: Stay away from resolution 2560x1440 it crashes my computer all the time! Good thing is the other resolutions works perfect, no crash and I can use two screens. Does not matter if they are connected to thunderbolt or hdmi. It's almost embarrassing to not have tested this in the first place. I shall immediately invest in a pair of new eyeglasses and thereafter use 3008x1692/60 or higher!

Last edited:
macOS 13.4 update installed fine on OpenCore 0.9.2

~30 minutes and 3 restarts...

Screenshot 2023-05-24 alle 19.42.04.png

Hi, Pastrychef!
System updated to OC EFI 0.9.2
and OSX updated to Monterrey 12.6.6

All is good.
:clap:

Thanks for your constant support!
Why run a previous OS?

Why run a previous OS?
I am using Octane X render for Mac. Being an Intel machine I must remain with Cinema 4D r26 and Monterey to run OctaneX PR14. Otoy is not taking any care for Mac Intel users, and development is now centered on Apple Silicon hardware. We Intel users, have been dumped even though their roadmap stated otherwise.

My pastrychef’s rig with dual GPU and i9-9900K is working beautifully, up ‘till now unbeatable regarding GPU power by the M1 and M2. Now I am eager to see what the performance of the new M2 Ultra is, but it looks very promising. I believe it probably doubles or maybe almost triples my machines’s performance.

Now hurry yet to make the swap, either to Mac Studio M2 Ultra or maybe PC and nVidia again, which I do not really desire.

Back