Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hmm... Weird... I know HDMI is often wonky but it should work at least to some degree... My Vega 56 is not currently installed in my system but I'll test once I have it back in there.

I tend to think that this might require some framebuffer patching direct to the HDMI port on my PowerColor Vega 56.....but that seems like a lot of work.....

My situation is that this is all temporary as I'm moving and in a month or two, I will have my original setup back up and working, so I was kind of hoping for something simple and quick.....

I should have explained that the HDMI port on my AOC monitor is a combo HDMI/MHL port (but that should make it more compatible, not less.....). On this monitor, I only have four ports: DP (which works), VGA (aka d-sub) not worth it, DVI and the aforementioned HDMI/MHL port. I guess I could try a DVI to DP cable......

Its just disappointing that at this late date, with all of the updated kexts, HDMI on Vega 56 is still a headache......

Last edited:
I tend to think that this might require some framebuffer patching direct to the HDMI port on my PowerColor Vega 56.....but that seems like a lot of work.....

My situation is that this is all temporary as I'm moving and in a month or two, I will have my original setup back up and working, so I was kind of hoping for something simple and quick.....

I should have explained that the HDMI port on my AOC monitor is a combo HDMI/MHL port (but that should make it more compatible, not less.....). On this monitor, I only have four ports: DP (which works), VGA (aka d-sub) not worth it, DVI and the aforementioned HDMI/MHL port. I guess I could try a DVI to DP cable......

Its just disappointing that at this late date, with all of the updated kexts, HDMI on Vega 56 is still a headache......

Oh wow. I also have an AOC monitor and PowerColor Vega 56! What a coincidence. Lol

I believe the ports on my monitor are exactly the same as yours so I should be able to reproduce your issue.

I've only ever seen guides on frame buffer patching to correct ports for IGPUs. Usually, WhateverGreen enables the ports on dGPUs auto-magically.

For what it's worth, I've had success with DVI-D to HDMI with my AOC monitor. In fact, I leave the adaptor connected permanently. This adaptor has always worked when I was unable to coerce HDMI to work albeit at lower resolutions.

51XYEvfMQPL._SX425_.jpg

Oh wow. I also have an AOC monitor and PowerColor Vega 56! What a coincidence. Lol

I believe the ports on my monitor are exactly the same as yours so I should be able to reproduce your issue.

I've only ever seen guides on frame buffer patching to correct ports for IGPUs. Usually, WhateverGreen enables the ports on dGPUs auto-magically.

For what it's worth, I've had success with DVI-D to HDMI with my AOC monitor. In fact, I leave the adaptor connected permanently. This adaptor has always worked when I was unable to coerce HDMI to work albeit at lower resolutions.

Well, I could have a bad HDMI port, but it seems unlikely. I ordered this adapter, the DVI to HDMI you've displayed (probably not the same brand), so we'll see. I think with DVI, aren't you limited to 2560? I haven't dealt with DVI much so I'm not sure about that.

Well, I could have a bad HDMI port, but it seems unlikely. I ordered this adapter, the DVI to HDMI you've displayed (probably not the same brand), so we'll see. I think with DVI, aren't you limited to 2560? I haven't dealt with DVI much so I'm not sure about that.

Yes, max resolution is 2560x1600 on DVI-D.

Hi Pastry,
My z370 motherboard should be showing up tomorrow. Going to try and match your setup. Before I start the build, what version of BIOS are using?

For the NVMe, you mentioned no shared lanes with SATA. Do you know if that included both M.2 slots or just one? (I'd like to put Windows on a second NVMe.)

Any changes needed for a Radeon VII in your EFI?

Thanks Again!

Hi Pastry,
My z370 motherboard should be showing up tomorrow. Going to try and match your setup. Before I start the build, what version of BIOS are using?

For the NVMe, you mentioned no shared lanes with SATA. Do you know if that included both M.2 slots or just one? (I'd like to put Windows on a second NVMe.)

Any changes needed for a Radeon VII in your EFI?

Thanks Again!

I'm using BIOS 1802.

Neither M.2 slots share lanes with any SATA ports as long as you use NVMe SSDs.

Nothing. Just plug in your Radeon VII.

Wi fi not working for z370e Asus motherboard

Motherboard (3rd one; used) arrived today and attempted setting up. So far not getting it to post. It lights up, screen stays black, restarts, stays black. One red LED near the ram. Researching but can’t seem to get a clear answer. Removed everything but RAM and CPU. Tried moving RAM in different slots, removing everything but one stick, resetting BIOS...but no luck. Concerned this board may also be bad since I have no idea its history. Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited:
Could we use an 9900KF CPU in this build? Has anyone tried it?

Of course with iMac1,1 definition, only.
It would be the same as disabling iGPU on a 9900K, right?

Wi fi not working for z370e Asus motherboard

As per forum rules, please fill out your profile to included CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

What kind of Wi-Fi card are you using?

Back