Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi, there......sorry to ask, but, after doing a lot of research, I haven't come up with a fix for this problem.

On my Z370-A, despite the fact that I'm using Catalina with the iMacPro 19,1 SMBIOS (and everything is working just fine as long as I use one of the DisplayPort connections). Even with the latest Lilu, Whatevergreen and VirtualSMC, if I use the HDMI port on my Vega 56, I get a black screen just at the very end of bootup.

The question is: is this a framebuffer issue? Because I'm not using the iGPU (its disabled, and I'm connecting to only one monitor).

Last edited:
Hi, there......sorry to ask, but, after doing a lot of research, I haven't come up with a fix for this problem.

On my Z370-A, despite the fact that I'm using Catalina with the iMacPro 19,1 SMBIOS (and everything is working just fine as long as I use one of the DisplayPort connections). Even with the latest Lilu, Whatevergreen and VirtualSMC, if I use the HDMI port on my Vega 56, I get a black screen just at the very end of bootup.

The question is: is this a framebuffer issue? Because I'm not using the iGPU (its disabled, and I'm connecting to only one monitor).

I don't know... I've only ever used HDMI to connect to my Vega a handful of times...

Does your monitor have the option to set HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, or 2.0? (If yes, please try different setting to see if you can get an image.)

Are you able to VNC/screenshare in to the computer after the screen goes black? (If yes, when connected, please try changing resolutions and refresh rates.)

Have you tried adding the boot argument "agdpmod=ignore" to config.plist? (I think one user reported this worked for him)

Thanks, I'll post if I find out if any of these thoughts solve the problem, or if I find something else that solves it.

Hi Pastrychef:

I'm currently on MacOS 10.14.3. I updated to your EFI 5.05 folder (from 5.01). After rebooting I found that my system crashes if I tried to have clover select a filevault preboot partition (non-filevault partitions boot fine).

Comparing the EFI folder to the older 5.01 version that I backed up I noticed there were a few missing files in /efi/clover/drivers64UEFI : AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi and FirmwareVolume-64.efi. Copying these files to the efi 5.05 Folder allowed me to boot into filevault prebooter again.

Let me know if those missing files were intentional and if so what I should do instead to get filevault working.

Hi Pastrychef:

I'm currently on MacOS 10.14.3. I updated to your EFI 5.05 folder (from 5.01). After rebooting I found that my system crashes if I tried to have clover select a filevault preboot partition (non-filevault partitions boot fine).

Comparing the EFI folder to the older 5.01 version that I backed up I noticed there were a few missing files in /efi/clover/drivers64UEFI : AppleImageCodec-64.efi, AppleKeyAggregator-64.efi, AppleUITheme-64.efi and FirmwareVolume-64.efi. Copying these files to the efi 5.05 Folder allowed me to boot into filevault prebooter again.

Let me know if those missing files were intentional and if so what I should do instead to get filevault working.

Interesting...

When I tested FileVault, I had no problems without those additional drivers so I omitted them in an effort to simplify things. I'll add them back.

Thanks for letting me know!

Hi Pastrychef:

Drivers restored in r5.0.6. Thanks again.

Hey @pastrychef,
Having some trouble buying a working version of your motherboard. Can’t find any new ones available so reluctantly ordered used; so far two have arrived damaged from Amazon. Attempting a 3rd.

If you had to buy another version and couldn’t get yours, what motherboard would you suggest that would be the closest plug-and-play alternative with your setup?

So far bought 9900K, Radeon 7, 64GB Ram, 2TB NVMe, MacBook Bluetooth/WiFi card

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hey @pastrychef,
Having some trouble buying a working version of your motherboard. Can’t find any new ones available so reluctantly ordered used; so far two have arrived damaged from Amazon. Attempting a 3rd.

If you had to buy another version and couldn’t get yours, what motherboard would you suggest that would be the closest plug-and-play alternative with your setup?

So far bought 9900K, Radeon 7, 64GB Ram, 2TB NVMe.

Thanks for any advice.

I think all the Asus Maximus and/or ROG Z370 motherboards were extremely similar. You shouldn't have any difficulties with any of them using the EFI folder in post #1. The only variance would be that you will have to do your own USB 15 port limit fix but, with the assistance of Hackintool, it's quite trivial now.

As for Z390, I don't know... I picked up a Gigabyte Z390 motherboard to try and hated it. I put it back in its box and it's sitting in my closet right now.

I don't know... I've only ever used HDMI to connect to my Vega a handful of times...

Does your monitor have the option to set HDMI 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, or 2.0? (If yes, please try different setting to see if you can get an image.)

Are you able to VNC/screenshare in to the computer after the screen goes black? (If yes, when connected, please try changing resolutions and refresh rates.)

Have you tried adding the boot argument "agdpmod=ignore" to config.plist? (I think one user reported this worked for him)

Okay, well I've tried all of these to no avail.....

I tried: multiple lower resolutions (nope), the boot argument "agdpmod=ignore" (nope), an HDMI to DP adapter (nope), an HDMI to DP cable (nope).

The only thing that did work was Mac Remote Desktop (that works), so I guess that's what I'll have to use....

But, thanks anyway for the ideas.....oh well.....

Okay, well I've tried all of these to no avail.....

I tried: multiple lower resolutions (nope), the boot argument "agdpmod=ignore" (nope), an HDMI to DP adapter (nope), an HDMI to DP cable (nope).

The only thing that did work was Mac Remote Desktop (that works), so I guess that's what I'll have to use....

But, thanks anyway for the ideas.....oh well.....

Hmm... Weird... I know HDMI is often wonky but it should work at least to some degree... My Vega 56 is not currently installed in my system but I'll test once I have it back in there.

Back