Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Motherboard (3rd one; used) arrived today and attempted setting up. So far not getting it to post. It lights up, screen stays black, restarts, stays black. One red LED near the ram. Researching but can’t seem to get a clear answer. Removed everything but RAM and CPU. Tried moving RAM in different slots, removing everything but one stick, resetting BIOS...but no luck. Concerned this board may also be bad since I have no idea its history. Anyone have a suggestion?

If you are not even getting a post screen, I would have to believe the motherboard is faulty.

Could we use an 9900KF CPU in this build? Has anyone tried it?

Of course with iMac1,1 definition, only.
It would be the same as disabling iGPU on a 9900K, right?

Yes, I don't see any reason why you can't use the 9900KF.

Yes, just use iMac1,1 system definition.

Anyone have a suggestion?

We had a spate of similar problems some time ago which were caused by installing new processors into older motherboards that required a BIOS update to support the new processor.

No idea if this is the case for you, it just reminded me of previous issues.

We had a spate of similar problems some time ago which were caused by installing new processors into older motherboards that required a BIOS update to support the new processor.

No idea if this is the case for you, it just reminded me of previous issues.

Thanks all! Before I send it back, maybe I should try to update. Question now is if it doesn’t post, how could I update it. I’m guessing removing the processor wouldn’t work. I have a 7700K from the last build but don’t think that’s compatible.

Thanks all! Before I send it back, maybe I should try to update. Question now is if it doesn’t post, how could I update it. I’m guessing removing the processor wouldn’t work. I have a 7700K from the last build but don’t think that’s compatible.
In the past the solution was to use a Celeron or Pentium processor that was supported with the BIOS version that the board was originally released with. Flash the BIOS and then swap processors.

CPU Support List

In the past the solution was to use a Celeron or Pentium processor that was supported with the BIOS version that the board was originally released with. Flash the BIOS and then swap processors.

CPU Support List
Thanks, did some more research and think you’re on the right track. Out of date BIOS sounds very likely. Makes sense; the supplier claims to have tested the board before it was resold. I’m assuming nothing else is defective and don’t see any bent pins.

How does an 8700K sound for this board? Early enough version to allow post/update?

How does an 8700K sound for this board?

That processor is supported from BIOS version 0408 which is the lowest version that appears on the CPU Support List so it should be fine.

I just bought a 970 EVO Plus NVMe. I hadn't noticed that yours wasn't the plus version. I can't boot on it. Carbon copy clone worked fine but I get a panic error when boring to it. I just saw your comment in red to avoid it. Just wondering if you're aware of any fix to get it to work?

That processor is supported from BIOS version 0408 which is the lowest version that appears on the CPU Support List so it should be fine.
Thanks for the advice. Ordered it.

Back