Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Interesting. I wonder since they're using the KF model, there will be no need to enable iGPU and operate in headless mode if using i9-9900K paired with a Vega? I wonder if someone has an ioreg dump of one of these new iMacs floating around to check.

I've been following the progress of the Radeon VII early adaptors and it seems they are achieving great FCPX performance without the assistance of IGPU...

No sound after sleep following 10.14.4 update

Immediately after the 10.14.4 update, my sound stopped working after waking from sleep. If I restart, the sound works fine again until it goes to sleep. After waking from sleep, all the output devices still show up as normal, but no sound.

I have made no changes (other than the 10.14.4 update). Any suggestions?

No sound after sleep following 10.14.4 update

Immediately after the 10.14.4 update, my sound stopped working after waking from sleep. If I restart, the sound works fine again until it goes to sleep. After waking from sleep, all the output devices still show up as normal, but no sound.

I have made no changes (other than the 10.14.4 update). Any suggestions?

Try changing audio-id to 1 to see if it makes a difference.

Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.41.33 PM.png

@pastrychef
I investigated a bit and I got the following GPU temperature vs fan behaviour - not entirely wrong but would like the fan to run maybe at lower speed to avoid the bump of speed which becomes very audible.

Fan not running:
Code:
ioreg -l | grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock';
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=49

Temperature increases - Fan still not running:
Code:
ioreg -l | grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan\|Clock';
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=57

Temperature reached 58 and triggered the fan:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=56
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1834
"Temperature(C)"=58

Fan does it job - temperature comes back down:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=56
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=2256
"Temperature(C)"=51

Temperature reaches 50 and fan stops:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=50

I am just wondering whether there is a way to force the GPU fan to run at lower speed like 30% speed constantly to avoid the on/off under this short amplitude of temperature.

Last edited:
@pastrychef
I investigated a bit and I got the following GPU temperature vs fan behaviour - not entirely wrong but would like the fan to run maybe at lower speed to avoid the bump of speed which becomes very audible.

Fan not running:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=49

Temperature increases - Fan still not running:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=57

Temperature reached 58 and triggered the fan:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=56
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=1834
"Temperature(C)"=58

Fan does it job - temperature comes back down:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=56
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=2256
"Temperature(C)"=51

Temperature reaches 50 and fan stops:
Code:
"Fan Speed(%)"=0
"Core Clock(MHz)"=1340
"Memory Clock(MHz)"=2000
"Fan Speed(RPM)"=0
"Temperature(C)"=50

I am just wondering whether there is a way to force the GPU fan to run at lower speed like 30% speed constantly to avoid the on/off under this short amplitude of temperature.

I don't know of a way to manipulate the fan on any video cards other than the Vega cards.

I don't know of a way to manipulate the fan on any video cards other than the Vega cards.

How do you do that on the Vega cards? That might give me some inspiration ;-)

How do you do that on the Vega cards? That might give me some inspiration ;-)

On Vega cards, we use an app called VGTab. It generates a kext that contains the power tables for the Vegas. You can find a copy of VGTab attached to post #1.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it had no effect. Any other ideas?

Are you using the latest Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen? You can also try audio-id 7.

No joy with audio-id 7 either. The issue does not seem to be related to this, as all values work fine until after sleep. (Curious, where are you getting these numbers?)

I'm also curious why the issue started after the 10.14.4 update. I may research that more. Fortunately this is an annoyance, not a show stopper.

I've never done anything special with Lilu/AppleALC/WhateverGreen. My config simply uses your EFI from post #1, unaltered, other than serial # etc. (I use iMac18,3.)

Back