Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I believe it's being emulated. This was recommended when setting things up in multibeast. I don't actually know whether such settings are part of the EFI folder I'm now overwriting?

Here is a test: I can write to and recall again some test variable. But if I write nvda_drv=1 here, it does not persist. Perhaps clover is overwriting it?

Code:
wifi122:~ me$ sudo nvram -p | grep 'TestVar'
Password:
TestVar    HelloWorld
wifi122:~ me$ sudo nvram TestVar=HelloWorld2
TestVar    HelloWorld2
wifi122:~ me$ nvram -p | grep 'nvda'
wifi122:~ me$ sudo nvram nvda_drv=1
Password:
nvda_drv    1
wifi122:~ me$

(reboot)

Last login: Thu Aug  9 14:44:19 on console
Password:
TestVar    HelloWorld2
wifi122:~ me$ sudo nvram -p | grep 'nvda'

The reboot here has “use web drivers” un-ticked, but does not have either nv_disable=1 or nvda_drv=1 in Clover.

Should “sudo nvram nvda_drv=1” be different in its effect to setting “nvda_drv=1” in clover? This I don’t understand yet.

(Still on scottkendall's EFI folder, but now I will try others again)

Seems like an emulated NVRAM issues. Try to search for directions on how to remove/uninstall EmuVariableUEFI and RC.scripts. Your motherboard should support native NVRAM. When you write nvda_drv=1 to NVRAM, it should stick. That will trigger your Nvidia web drivers and your issues should be solved.

Delete FakeSMC from /Library/Extensions/.
Move RealtekRTL8111.kext from /Library/Extensions/ to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.
Enter the following to Terminal: sudo nvram nvda_drv=1

Moved kexts as suggested.

8. Reboot and still have internet. Run "sudo nvram nvda_drv=1"

9. Boot with “use web drivers” ticked. Usual error, pull the power.

10. Boot with “use web drivers” and clover option “nvda_drv=1” too.
Something happens, it takes a long time.
OK maybe we're getting there, "NVIDIA Chip Model 6143 MB" and lots of pixels.

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.34.08.png

And nvram now remembers?
Code:
Last login: Thu Aug  9 15:30:38 on console
nvda_drv    1%00

However I cannot mount EFI partition:
Code:
wifi122:~ me$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
Password:
wifi122:~ me$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) operation/kext not allowed at current boot level; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
mount_msdos: msdos filesystem is not available
wifi122:~ me$ kextstat | grep libkern
    4   97 0xffffff7f80a0a000 0xd430     0xd430     com.apple.kpi.libkern (17.7.0) 26F1FC40-6578-4254-AF12-3D397814B5CB

And I get some error “Unable to open the NVIDIA Driver Manager” in system pref.

11 Reboot with the same settings, it’s the same.

OK this is progress, though, many thanks! It’s the first time I got past this login page. Perhaps booting without web drivers, I can change the flag in clover “nvda_drv=1” so that it’ll remember?

Is there something I should change to be able to mount EFI always?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.39.30.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 15.39.30.png
    139.1 KB · Views: 210
Seems like an emulated NVRAM issues. Try to search for directions on how to remove/uninstall EmuVariableUEFI and RC.scripts. Your motherboard should support native NVRAM. When you write nvda_drv=1 to NVRAM, it should stick. That will trigger your Nvidia web drivers and your issues should be solved.

OK, will do.

Many thanks again for the help, I would never have thought to try “nvda_drv=1” again, as I thought it was deprecated.

Moved kexts as suggested.

8. Reboot and still have internet. Run "sudo nvram nvda_drv=1"

9. Boot with “use web drivers” ticked. Usual error, pull the power.

10. Boot with “use web drivers” and clover option “nvda_drv=1” too.
Something happens, it takes a long time.
OK maybe we're getting there, "NVIDIA Chip Model 6143 MB" and lots of pixels.

View attachment 345416

And nvram now remembers?
Code:
Last login: Thu Aug  9 15:30:38 on console
nvda_drv    1%00

However I cannot mount EFI partition:
Code:
wifi122:~ me$ sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
Password:
wifi122:~ me$ sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
/System/Library/Extensions/msdosfs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) operation/kext not allowed at current boot level; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
mount_msdos: msdos filesystem is not available
wifi122:~ me$ kextstat | grep libkern
    4   97 0xffffff7f80a0a000 0xd430     0xd430     com.apple.kpi.libkern (17.7.0) 26F1FC40-6578-4254-AF12-3D397814B5CB

And I get some error “Unable to open the NVIDIA Driver Manager” in system pref.

11 Reboot with the same settings, it’s the same.

OK this is progress, though, many thanks! It’s the first time I got past this login page. Perhaps booting without web drivers, I can change the flag in clover “nvda_drv=1” so that it’ll remember?

Is there something I should change to be able to mount EFI always?

Use sudo to mount EFI partition.

Either (1) use the correct version of Nvidia web drivers or (2) make sure you have the correct edits to the info.plist for Nvidia web drivers to work with your current version of macOS.

FYI: Now that you have nvda_drv=1 in NVRAM, you do not need the config.plist entries to activate Nvidia web drivers.

OK, will do.

Many thanks again for the help, I would never have thought to try “nvda_drv=1” again, as I thought it was deprecated.

No prob. Glad to help.

nvda_drv=1 was broken when we all lost native NVRAM support. But when we got it back with AptioMemoryFix.efi, nvda_drv=1 works again. This is how it is done on real Macs and it is the method that i prefer to use to activate Nvidia web drivers.

Sure, I can do that. What configuration that you want?

I liked what you had for the Vega 56 with the 150% TDP and same fan targets. Basically same as your revised Vega 56 but for the 64. Thanks so much. I tried again a couple times but it doesn't do anything on my system when I click to create the kext.

@pastrychef
So mostly everything is good about the new 4.2 EFI folder, however it break audio after sleep entirely for me. For the past couple of EFI's releases I've used the black audio output to sort the audio loss after sleep, but that doesn't work with this new method. So whenever my hack goes to sleep, ill have to reboot if I want audio.
I wanna hear if anyone has a solution to this ?

A little while back I upgraded components of a working hackintosh and used your EFI, @pastrychef. Thanks so much for sharing this labor of love, golden build. I kept my old config.plist but updated it with the one from your EFI and things were great.

But, I recently upgraded from a 1050Ti to the ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB, and accidentally combined doing that with updating from 10.13.5 -> 10.13.6 via the app store. Big problems. I tried out your EFI 4.2 and 4.2b during my days of boot-loops and having to rely on booting from a thumb-drive when I needed to use the machine.

In case anyone gets into a continual bootloop in similar circumstances, my two problems turned out to be:

1) I needed to get rid of nvidiagraphicsfixup,kext, intelgraphicsfixup.kext, and I still had an old intelDVMTgraphicsfixup.kext in my L/E folder. After that, I could boot without a thumb-drive again. But bootup seemed to take too long and I noticed my serial number did not match the one in my config.plist.

2) Turns out in making edits to my config.plist (I am now just using PastryChef's actual config.plist with my own uiaexclude arguments for the Z370-E which is completely different on the USB side-of-things; port-limit patches removed; and display resolution set to match my display), my arrogance was my downfall. I've always used text-edit when working with the config.plist, and this time I had created two blank lines. I guess the moral there is, even if you prefer to manually edit, maybe try and open your config.plist with xcode or cloverconfigurator while you're at it, because they will call out these formatting errors immediately, and get you back on your way much quicker.

So, probably most of this is just my issue (being dumb), but maybe it will help someone if they wind up with an inexplicable boot-loop problem or various functions not working (like nothing from your ACPI patches folder loading because it turns out your config.plist is not readable).

- Cheers

@pastrychef
So mostly everything is good about the new 4.2 EFI folder, however it break audio after sleep entirely for me. For the past couple of EFI's releases I've used the black audio output to sort the audio loss after sleep, but that doesn't work with this new method. So whenever my hack goes to sleep, ill have to reboot if I want audio.
I wanna hear if anyone has a solution to this ?

Try running the macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Combo Update and see if it helps you.

Back