Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

I’m not near the machine at the moment so I can’t remember the actual colours, but the two “line out” options are different coloured outputs on the motherboard, on the row next to the normal speaker out and mic in.

I find that those outputs still work after a reboot, so I have stuck to using those in the meantime rather than the green “internal speakers”.
Hmm. My motherboard manual lists only one (lime green) connector as line out. Other jacks are for rear, center, and subwoofer speakers. But I'll give them a try. Thanks.

Hey, how are you doing? Thanks to this legendary build, I have enjoyed running several deep learning models these days at super fast speed.

Do you know any update on HDMI and DP audio since 10.13.4? My z370-g with GTX 1070 build is still broken with your latest EFI r3.2, although the onboard audio is working fine... I guess my AppleHDA is clean since 10.13.4. I installed nothing else except CodecCommander. (And now I have removed it :)

Another weird thing is I installed the lastest AppleALC, Lilu and NvidiaGraphicsFixup in my GTX 960 build, where DP and HDMI audio worked just fine... Do you have any ideas why and what to do next?

Thank you :)

Apple broke DisplayPort/HDMI audio for Nvidia with macOS 10.13.4 because of a new version of AppleHDA. The latest ApplkeALC restored DisplayPort/HDMI audio on some Nvidia cards. I forget exactly which ones...

However, you can manually restore it following directions found here.

Last edited:
Update to the latest version of AppleALC.

Did this build use CodecCommander before? I can't find it in the EFI ZIPs anymore. With AppleALC 1.2.6, I've lost audio after sleep, too. Any idea what else might cause this? Is 20170501 still current on CodecCommander?

@pastrychef thanks a lot for your support through the thread. After a decade thinking about it, I finally bought the parts and built my first hackintosh based on your build:
After a couple of days trying to follow your guide, I was not able to boot High Sierra but in safe mode. I almost gave up, but I decided to read through the 155 pages of the thread carefully, and was able to find some good clues.

I had my monitor connected through the HDMI port on the RX 580, and kept getting the "gIOScreenLockState 3" error that a couple of other users have written about. I read that you said that it means that "macOS is complaining about a graphics problem", so I removed the graphics card, changed the primary display on the BIOS to "CPU Graphics", and used your "EFI for AMD RX500-Vega r3.2.zip" settings to finally boot to OS X and setup the EFI partition with MultiBeast.

On a first sight everything seems to work now, however, I am worried about not being able to use the GPU. In some of your old updates you mention problems with the HDMI port. I am waiting for a new display to arrive in a couple of days, and will use a Display Port then. The monitor that I am using now only has an HDMI port supporting 1920×1080 resolution.

On another post, you mention that new RX 580s need to be patched to work on OS X, and you point to an article.

I wonder if my problem with the GPU is related to not using a Display Port, or to having to patch the graphics card. What is your thought?

@pastrychef thanks a lot for your support through the thread. After a decade thinking about it, I finally bought the parts and built my first hackintosh based on your build:
After a couple of days trying to follow your guide, I was not able to boot High Sierra but in safe mode. I almost gave up, but I decided to read through the 155 pages of the thread carefully, and was able to find some good clues.

I had my monitor connected through the HDMI port on the RX 580, and kept getting the "gIOScreenLockState 3" error that a couple of other users have written about. I read that you said that it means that "macOS is complaining about a graphics problem", so I removed the graphics card, changed the primary display on the BIOS to "CPU Graphics", and used your "EFI for AMD RX500-Vega r3.2.zip" settings to finally boot to OS X and setup the EFI partition with MultiBeast.

On a first sight everything seems to work now, however, I am worried about not being able to use the GPU. In some of your old updates you mention problems with the HDMI port. I am waiting for a new display to arrive in a couple of days, and will use a Display Port then. The monitor that I am using now only has an HDMI port supporting 1920×1080 resolution.

On another post, you mention that new RX 580s need to be patched to work on OS X, and you point to an article.

I wonder if my problem with the GPU is related to not using a Display Port, or to having to patch the graphics card. What is your thought?

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Now that you have macOS installed, you should be able to install your RX 580 and it should work.
  1. Make sure that you keep the working EFI folder on your USB flash drive so that you can boot from it in the event it doesn't work.
  2. Replace the EFI folder in your main system drive with the one for AMD RX500-Vega.
  3. Install your RX 580 in to your computer.
  4. Boot up and go to BIOS and set the RX 580 to primary.
  5. Reboot and go to BIOS again to confirm BIOS settings are correct.
  6. Reboot making sure that you are booting from your main system drive, not the USB flash drive.
Some important things to check/try if you are having problems booting in to Clover:
  • Make sure RAM is installed in correct slots if you only have two sticks of RAM. Info is written in red on post #1.
  • Check monitor settings. Set HDMI to 1.2 instead of 2.0 if such a setting exists. macOS doesn't have support for HDMI 2.0.
  • Boot in verbose mode to see what problems is preventing boot.
  • Keep USB device to a minimum (just keyboard and mouse) until you know booting is not a problem.
I don't think that the RX 580 firmware would be a problem if you are running macOS 10.13.4. But I have not messed with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse with the "unsupported" firmware... I did a build for friend but she got lucky and ended up getting an RX 580 Pulse with the "supported" firmware. I did have to mess around with her LG monitor's settings (DisplayPort 1.1 vs DisplayPort 1.2) to but, as far as I can remember, HDMI worked although I didn't check if the monitor was HDMI 1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

Don't be afraid to try with your RX 580. In a worse case scenario, it can be removed and everything can be reversed so that you can at least boot in to macOS again. There are lots of variables and we often have to go through trial and error troubleshooting.

@pastrychef Do you have any recommendation for firewire cards?
If I buy one will it interfere with the USB fix? Does it need special kexts or works plug and play?

I don't personally have a Firewire card in this hack but you can find lots of success stories here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-firewire-800-400-card-to-own-for-100-compatibility.59767/

Using a natively supported Firewire chipset will not require any additional kexts and will not interfere with USB.

Hi. Welcome to the forum.
I don't think that the RX 580 firmware would be a problem if you are running macOS 10.13.4. But I have not messed with a Sapphire RX 580 Pulse with the "unsupported" firmware... I did a build for friend but she got lucky and ended up getting an RX 580 Pulse with the "supported" firmware. I did have to mess around with her LG monitor's settings (DisplayPort 1.1 vs DisplayPort 1.2) to but, as far as I can remember, HDMI worked although I didn't check if the monitor was HDMI 1.2 or HDMI 2.0.

Don't be afraid to try with your RX 580. In a worse case scenario, it can be removed and everything can be reversed so that you can at least boot in to macOS again. There are lots of variables and we often have to go through trial and error troubleshooting.

Thank you for your advice @pastrychef. I will check the HDMI version used (I assume its 1.2), and will keep you posted on my progress. From what I have read online, the RX 580 firmware of "bad" batches does not have to be modified for macOS 10.13.4, is that right?

Back