Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Another thing, my HP EX900 NVMe seems sluggish!, the write speed is less than 1.5GB/s. Whereas in my ivy bridge builds it was close to 2 GB/s write. Is that because I’m using a Dell 320W from a 7010 SFF, and it’s not getting enough juice. Or is there something else going on there?.

I’m using a Dell 320W from a 7010 SFF, and it’s not getting enough juice. Or is there something else going on there?.
From the pics I've seen in your G5 Mod thread you're using this DT 250W PSU. I'm not certain it's related to the NVME drive function but it's possible.

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 8.24.07 AM.png

Another thing, my HP EX900 NVMe seems sluggish!, the write speed is less than 1.5GB/s. Whereas in my ivy bridge builds it was close to 2 GB/s write. Is that because I’m using a Dell 320W from a 7010 SFF, and it’s not getting enough juice. Or is there something else going on there?.

That's a really old system... I'm assuming that you are using an NVMe to PCI-e adaptor. The Q77 chipset only has PCI-e 2.0. I'm pretty sure that's your bottleneck.

The NVMe is connected directly to the H370M D3H GSM motherboard in one of the two available slots. It has maxOS Catalina installed. I used the Dell 250W PSU, (thanks @trs96).

The NVMe is connected directly to the H370M D3H GSM motherboard in one of the two available slots. It has maxOS Catalina installed. I used the Dell 250W PSU, (thanks @trs96).

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 9.41.41 AM.png

PCI-e 3.0 x2 doesn't have enough bandwidth for your NVMe SSD to operate at full potential. Make sure you use x4.

The NVMe is connected directly to the H370M D3H GSM motherboard in one of the two available slots.
Put the NVME into the other M.2 slot and see if it changes any. Maybe also remove anything else using up PCIe lanes to see what effect that has.

Thanks @trs96, @pastrychef. When I get home from work, I’ll work on your suggestions and see if I can get that NVMe up to speed!.

From the pics I've seen in your G5 Mod thread you're using this DT 250W PSU. I'm not certain it's related to the NVME drive function but it's possible.

View attachment 451906

Yes I just checked my purchase history on eBay. It is 250W and now it’s $1 less than what I paid, Bargain.

Attachments

• 54CE7BF2-CCAF-4112-A033-B4CDF883CF8A.jpeg
    54CE7BF2-CCAF-4112-A033-B4CDF883CF8A.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Yes I just checked my purchase history on eBay. It is 250W and now it’s $1 than what I paid, Bargain.
Works good for a test bench PC PSU. I've seen the gold rated versions selling for $11.99 recently. Why pay 50 dollars for something new that isn't even as reliable ? It's hard to believe that so many people think anything from the "Big two" OEMs is simply junk because it's got their brand name on it and it isn't rated at 500W+. These are ultra reliable and last a long time. They also output higher wattages than their ratings indicate. Junk PSUs often overstate wattage by hundreds of watts.

Last edited:
I have moved my i9-9900K and Radeon VII to my Gigabyte Z390 MG motherboard and am using an i5-9400F with my Asus Z370-G. Since there's not going to be any overclocking with the i5-9400F, I moved everything to a much smaller case. Meet my $34 DIYPC MA08-BK case (it's the smaller one on the right)...

View attachment 448384

I was extremely surprised at the quality of this $27 (plus $7 for shipping and tax) case. Fit and finish might be better than my old Silverstone. Despite being so much smaller than my old Silverstone KL06, it manages to accommodate the ginormous PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 albeit just barely. Best of all, no glass or acrylic panels!!

Rank this case as highly recommended.

As I've mentioned, I'm now using the above DIYPC case for this build.

It's really great case with one glaring flaw... The USB ports on top (next to the power button) are USB 2. So, I upgraded them to USB 3 ports...

I picked up one of the following and it was a near perfect fit. I just had to file the new circuit board a little and shave down a few plastic bits on the case.

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 5.55.51 PM.png

End result...
60462278011__FF99D2CD-4D1A-4F38-9C14-BC0C5D37849F-preview.JPG
Not quite perfect, but everything works.

Back