Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Are you talking about powering on your system via magic packet?

Or are you talking about waking up a sleeping computer via magic packet?
I would like to power on the system via magic packet. Atm it works only if i power off the system by long pressing the power button. If i shutdown the system form shutdown menu, it wont turn on. Also ethernet stops blinking both router and network card side. Ethernet led is still blinking if i longpress power off. ( assus rog strix z370 )

I would like to power on the system via magic packet. Atm it works only if i power off the system by long pressing the power button. If i shutdown the system form shutdown menu, it wont turn on. Also ethernet stops blinking both router and network card side. Ethernet led is still blinking if i longpress power off. ( assus rog strix z370 )

Honestly, I never tried... Did you try with OpenCore?

Honestly, I never tried... Did you try with OpenCore?
Not yet. I will try this weekend with opencore also. What I experienced so far: By long pressing the power button triggers safe mode bios. So even if it turns on with magic packet, it wont continue booting without pressing F1. Turning off the pc while in bios does not triggers safe mode, and I am able to turn it on via magic packet. The key is somewhere in the shutdown routine. In windows there are several settings what you shall do to be able to shutdown the pc correctly and wake the pc with magic packets. Maybe is hidden somewhere deep in the intel maussi kext ツ

Not yet. I will try this weekend with opencore also. What I experienced so far: By long pressing the power button triggers safe mode bios. So even if it turns on with magic packet, it wont continue booting without pressing F1. Turning off the pc while in bios does not triggers safe mode, and I am able to turn it on via magic packet. The key is somewhere in the shutdown routine. In windows there are several settings what you shall do to be able to shutdown the pc correctly and wake the pc with magic packets. Maybe is hidden somewhere deep in the intel maussi kext ツ

As per forum rules, please update your profile to include your CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

Hmm... I'll try and see if I can get my system to boot via magic packet a little later and report back.

If you are seeing the F1 message, it makes me believe it's an NVRAM issue...

Nice one.

A couple of supplementary things. I downloaded your opencore 5.5 zip file and noticed when looking at https://khronokernel-2.gitbook.io/opencore-vanilla-desktop-guide/opencore-efi it talks about removing some files in drivers and tools directories but in your EFI zip they are still there. I only ask if this is right as the site suggests AppleUsbKbDxe.efi could be harmful but links to a site in russian to explain.

That driver is included with the mainline OpenCore package... I'll test without it.

Update:
I just remembered. If you look in config.plist, that driver is not enabled.

Hi Pastrychef,
I've been using your 370 build since Mojave with no problems. I've now installed Catalina fresh, however I'm having a problem with wifi. When I login, it takes about 5 mins for Catalina to detect the the wifi card.
I have 2 SSDs (they are both for NTFS for windows, one the OS the other is storage) in m2 both slots, and 4 SATA SSD drives connected. Does the port limit impact the wifi/bluetooth?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    36.8 MB · Views: 137
Hi Pastrychef,
I've been using your 370 build since Mojave with no problems. I've now installed Catalina fresh, however I'm having a problem with wifi. When I login, it takes about 5 mins for Catalina to detect the the wifi card.
I have 2 SSDs (they are both for NTFS for windows, one the OS the other is storage) in m2 both slots, and 4 SATA SSD drives connected. Does the port limit impact the wifi/bluetooth?

Thanks in advance

What kind of Wi-Fi card are you using??

If you are using an Apple Wi-Fi card, you don't need all those fixes for AirPort or Bluetooth.

Beyond that, the EFIs don't really do anything that would affect Wi-Fi.

Okay. I just tried. My findings are the same as yours.

Bootloader - OpenCore

ErP - Disabled
Power On by PCI-e - Enabled
Fast Boot - Enabled

If I force shutdown before the bootloader loads, I am able to power on the system via magic packets.
If I do a clean shutdown in macOS, I can not power on the system via magic packets.

I noticed that if I force shutdown before the bootloader loads, the system draws 3.1-3.2W from the wall.
If I do a clean shutdown from macOS, the system draws 2.4W from the wall.

I have no idea how to get it to work consistently.

It works for both OpenCore and Clover. I've tested with both.
But is any malfunctioning needed before using it or you just drop it in the ACPI folder?
I haven't seen it in your folder distro. Is there a preferred place to gather it?
Thanks a lot!!

Back