Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hi Pastry

Quick question. As this motherboard has 2x M.2 slots, can I use one for my Main Hackintosh Boot drive (I'm thinking a 970 EVO) and the other for the BCM94360CS2 card? Do you mind pointing me to an adaptor so the BCM94360CS2 can fit in an M.2 slot?

Lastly, can I use the BCM94360CS2 card in an M.2 adaptor, but only use it for Bluetooth, and use a normal ethernet connection for the internet? If I do this, will Handoff, iMessage etc still work via ethernet?

There are actually three M.2 slots on this motherboard. Two for NVMe SSDs and one for Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. I replaced the stock Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card with a macOS compatible one. Details are here.

You can use any network connection you like to connect to the internet.

Yes, all those functions will work.

OK, this may not be specific to this Golden Build setup, but could I ask if you have Catalina working @pastrychef?

I did indeed need to format the NVMe via Windows, and then I now have High Sierra running again. I'm using the latest rEFI you have here, and the Vega 56 is working fine. Now I have a screen on the inbuilt DP port of the MB and one on the Vega56 I can see everything going on. What I'm finding when I try to update to Catalina is the installer runs, and then the machine reboots to the Install Preboot image ( forget the exact name now ) and then it shows a screen on the internal graphics which has a row of ++++++++++++ and an Apple symbol and nothing else. It just sits there and doesn't do anything else at all. It doesn't display the list of start/end lines before the +++++ line.

What can I do to diagnose?

Yes, I've updated macOS to every new version within a day of release since I put this build together. Catalina has been running fine since day 1.

No, do not connect any monitors to the motherboard. IGPU is "headless" if you have a discrete graphics card. "Headless" means no monitors, the "heads" being the monitors.

The row of pluses is normal. It's part of the new FileVault fix and I don't know how to make them not appear. I see them too.

OK I've removed the motherboard connection now. I realised I didn't have the BIOS configured correctly for the output to come on the Vega output initially but working OK now on BIOS, etc.

It's odd because I can boot fine into High Sierra. But, when the update happens, the reboot image starts and just the line of pluses shows up but it seems to halt there. I tried turning on verbose but I get nothing extra out of it at all.

Hello again, Pastrychef. Two questions regarding my mobo (which I believe you have as well):
1) in the BIOS, should XHCI handoff be enabled?
2) more generally, I have a old BIOS (0709, I think, but that's from memory.) In any case 14nn is available. Should I update to it, or leave well-enough alone?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Hello again, Pastrychef. Two questions regarding my mobo (which I believe you have as well):
2) more generally, I have a old BIOS (0709, I think, but that's from memory.) In any case 14nn is available. Should I update to it, or leave well-enough alone?

Please try with the attached file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Attachments

• SSDT-EC.aml
    63 bytes · Views: 53

No, I don't have the Maximus XI.

Yes, XHCI Handoff should be enabled.

I don't know about the BIOS...

Please try with the attached file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/.

Yes I found something about that and Catalina so I've already put that in there. Still just gets stuck on a black screen with some pluses and stays there. No progress bar or anything. I'm wondering if it is something to do with going from High Sierra straight to 10.15.3

Yes I found something about that and Catalina so I've already put that in there. Still just gets stuck on a black screen with some pluses and stays there. No progress bar or anything. I'm wondering if it is something to do with going from High Sierra straight to 10.15.3

It shouldn't be. Does verbose show anything?

Back