Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

After having another closer look to the BIOS, I realized that the the UEFI OS (samsung ssd 970 pro) is displayed twice in the list. selecting this for boot option #1 will not work (there is no boot, BIOS is displayed). If I am able to select this option for BOOT OVERRIDE (not always displayed here) THEN I am able to start my macos mojave install partition from clover. pls see the screenshot...

Attachments

• bootoverride.jpg
    bootoverride.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
I unplugged all other disks before starting the upgrade, installed the combo update and also the supplementary update and then I used the latest EFI folder from post #1 and added my "previous" serial, board no. and UUID with the latest Clover Configurator and replaced the EFI content. All worked well, I restarted twice after the update completed. When I re-plugged the other disks (win10os on an ssd and 4 other HDDs) i was not able to boot from the macos partition. It was displayed in the boot sequence twice, but when I selected it the BIOS turned up again. I unplugged again all other ssd and hdds, and the result is the same. If i have a usb pendrive > i can boot the efi from there and then i can select the macos partition and all is fine, but without the usb (created previously to install 10.14.3) there's no way in the bios to booth from the nvme uefi partition (though it is in the list). I loaded optimized BIOS and did the necessary adjustments - still no result. Now I booted from the usb uefi and creating a CCC of the 10.14.6 partition to an external HDD. Most likely I'll have to make a fresh hackintosh install and then boot from the CCC usb and clone it back to the nvme m2 - and hope that this will solve the boot issue - tomorrow evening. Most likely there is an quick an easy way - but i could not find anything in the forum. If anyone has a suggestion to resolve this, please let me know. Many thanks.

Make sure that you set BIOS to boot from the correct EFI partition.

After having another closer look to the BIOS, I realized that the the UEFI OS (samsung ssd 970 pro) is displayed twice in the list. selecting this for boot option #1 will not work (there is no boot, BIOS is displayed). If I am able to select this option for BOOT OVERRIDE (not always displayed here) THEN I am able to start my macos mojave install partition from clover. pls see the screenshot...

I don't know why it's appearing twice...

Anyone else have any ideas?

Rest/clear BIOS maybe it is a bug. Is the drive partitioned? if the drive is partitioned it would also show that way. Because that is a boot menu it detects all logical partitions not just physical drives.

I spent the last few days in Windows doing a bit of gaming on my Radeon VII. When I came back to macOS, wake was once again broken!! :banghead:

I tried to reproduced what fixed it last time and have been unable to. I even updated BIOS to 2401 and still no go...

As much as I really like the Radeon VII, I have my Vega 56 back in because I need working sleep/wake in macOS.

I haven't tried...

Edit:
I just tried. You are right. WhateverGreen is no longer an option. Without WhateverGreen, I just get a black screen.

All problems seem to caused by HDMI. I normally using HDMI cause my monitor has two connection type HDMI and DVI. And I can't make a boot without WEG on HDMI. Then I decided to turn my HDMI connection to DVI and test it. Voila! I can now boot without WEG. I even disabled two black screen patch from config.plist and test it again. No problem everything works well.

Now, I must use with DVI for a while cause I am still not sure DVI connection will fix my random screen lost problem.

Last edited:
I spent the last few days in Windows doing a bit of gaming on my Radeon VII. When I came back to macOS, wake was once again broken!! :banghead:

I tried to reproduced what fixed it last time and have been unable to. I even updated BIOS to 2401 and still no go...

As much as I really like the Radeon VII, I have my Vega 56 back in because I need working sleep/wake in macOS.
Still working OK with my Designare setup and I've been in and out of Windows as well - strange, hope you get it fixed

Hi all!

Right now, I'm assembling a computer with an ASUS ROG Strix z370-F (i7-8700K, Corsair 16GBx2, Samsung EVO 970), and I had a lot of trouble with this motherboard end UEFI boot. It recognizes USB or HDD UEFI, but can't boot, and it's displayed twice in the boot list like @pixelmambo.

Also, with the last BIOS update, I was unable to enter in BIOS, and unplugging M.2 solved it.

I've tried to remove secure keys, no changes.

Normally the issue appear after BIOS modify on CPU or GPU value;
After a BIOS update with optimized default values and basic hack changes, the system boot, but if I change something in CPU or GPU, UEFI stop.

With Windows, or legacy, no probs, always working.

So, I've rollback to BIOS 1802 that was a little better. It allows me to change some parameters, but then again issues. Now, I'm in 1601, and it seems works.

I'll keep you informed.

With my ROG Strix Z370-G (no WiFi), I'm in the last BIOS update with OC to 5GHz, and there is no problem. The issue it's rare. I was thinking that the motherboard was the problem, maybe not... I don't know. eh eh

I'm using @pastrychef EFI folder updated to 5033.

Update: it seems there is some issue with M2 and UEFI, I suppose that is an hardware issue. As I have other HDD I put the EFI there and now it's working.

Apart that I've discovered that Bluetooth broke sleep, hope this info can help other hacks

Last edited:

Hi, I've updated to the latest available BOIS, hoping that it would resolve my "duplicate entry" issue, unfortunately it was not the case. Most likely there as an issue with the update from 10.14.3 to 10.14.6. I've created a fresh new USB installer that already includes all 10.14 updates and supplementary updates. Made a clear install (deleted all partitions/reformatted the nvme ssd) and my problem is solved. All is working well now and running smooth on the latest BIOS. Many thanks for PastryChef for the update EFI that was indeed a HUGE help when re-installing my machine (as I don't always follow the forums and guides and not always up-to-date with all issues and options). [SUCCESS]

Yep, mine has frozen during a long sleep as well now :( Turning sleep off until a fix is found

Back