Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

So I decided to give Vega a shot. Just ordered Airboost 64 from Amazon. If I won't like it I can always return it.
The price for new MSI Vega 56 Airboost is $399 while for MSI Airboost Vega 64 they as $409

Wow. At $10 difference, it's a no brainer. Lol

It's always easier to clock a Vega 64 down to 56 specs than it is to clock a 56 up to 64 specs.

Technically, you should be able to undervolt and under clock the 64 to lower the TDP to 56 levels. The only thing that I was unable to do was lower HBM voltage with VGTab.

Wow. At $10 difference, it's a no brainer. Lol

It's always easier to clock a Vega 64 down to 56 specs than it is to clock a 56 up to 64 specs.

Technically, you should be able to undervolt and under clock the 64 to lower the TDP to 56 levels. The only thing that I was unable to do was lower HBM voltage with VGTab.

I'm pretty sure that current price drop is related to Radeon VII release this Thursday.
I don't need super powerful GPU under MacOS although I do some video editing sometimes. So if I could underclock it enough to make it quite on idle I'm fine.

I will keep you posted with my experiments when I get the card.

Try adding these to see if it makes a difference.
View attachment 385064
Oh yes it worked out! That is it. What are these two options suppose to do?

I'm a noob and this is my first build. After replacing the efi 4.3.2, Is there anything else (other than GPU driver) that I need to do in terms of driver or clover to make everything works?

Last edited:
Hey Pastry

Im attempting to configure my BIOS settings in Advanced/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration/
for

Primary Display - PCIE
RC6(Render Standby)
DVMT Pre-Allocated

but none of these settings appear. The iGPU Multi-Monitor appears but when I enabled it my graphics card wasnt displaying anything anymore so I had to reset the CMOs to get it working again. I pretty much have all the specs you have except a vega 64 so Im a bit confused as to why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated

All of the other settings listed in the guide appear, so just a bit confused on what to do

Hi guys, maybe this is not due any hackintosh-related configuration but I've read it maybe due EFI boot config... when the hackintosh is switched off, the USBs keep providing power... as I have a timemachine hdd I would prefer that it switches off when the whole computer is off... is it maybe a bios setting that I cannot find?? TNX guys!

OK Thank you, is not working. I will give back to amazon and I will buy other model. I saw one in alliexpress:

View attachment 385159

Would you recommend me?

I've got one of these Fenvi cards (though I bought it through ebay) and it works perfectly for me in my hack. I've got a magic keyboard and mouse using the bluetooth. The keyboard works in the bios but not the mouse unfortunately. The only issue I've seen is that I have to plug the cable into the keyboard when I boot into windows because I can't login when it is wireless and even after login it's bluetooth connection doesn't seem to be particularly stable.

hey @pastrychef thanks for the help the other time! i cleared my EFI and replaced it with your latest one (im on 10.14.3 with Asus strix 1802 / updated everything)
but i still get two issues:

1 - QuickLook doesnt works for JPGs (Previews don't show for JPGs only). a fix is to use this without this NoVPAJpeg.kext which makes it work, but not sure if this just patches a bigger problem.. what do you think?

I have iGPU enabled with my Vega 64 like everyone suggests this will solve this. but JPG quick look never works without this kext. i tried changing to iMac Pro 1.1.SMBIOS which also fixes it but then it comes back after a while.

2 - sleep makes PC not able to wake up and eventually reboot. gives me this error:

UUID: 59059674-D051-40BC-A2C8-B432DEE9A78E
Stackshot Reason: Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering fullwake from darkwake. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.
Failure code:: 0xd44517be 00000032

i saw this video on youtube where this guy enables a bunch of hibernation/sleep tick boxes to make machine wake normally. wondering if some of these could be bad ? e.g. SlpSmiAtWake, NeverHibernate, SkipHibernateTimeout, darkwake=2

i am debating if it might be worth formatting the drive and restarting fro fresh mojave install. i seem to be having issues that others don't have.

THANKS! in advance!

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.2 KB · Views: 111
hey @pastrychef thanks for the help the other time! i cleared my EFI and replaced it with your latest one (im on 10.14.3 with Asus strix 1802 / updated everything)
but i still get two issues:

2 - sleep makes PC not able to wake up and eventually reboot. gives me this error:

UUID: 59059674-D051-40BC-A2C8-B432DEE9A78E
Stackshot Reason: Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while entering fullwake from darkwake. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.
Failure code:: 0xd44517be 00000032

i saw this video on youtube where this guy enables a bunch of hibernation/sleep tick boxes to make machine wake normally. wondering if some of these could be bad ? e.g. SlpSmiAtWake, NeverHibernate, SkipHibernateTimeout, darkwake=2

i am debating if it might be worth formatting the drive and restarting fro fresh mojave install. i seem to be having issues that others don't have.

THANKS! in advance!

try darkwake=0

Oh yes it worked out! That is it. What are these two options suppose to do?

I'm a noob and this is my first build. After replacing the efi 4.3.2, Is there anything else (other than GPU driver) that I need to do in terms of driver or clover to make everything works?

I believe it's related to virtualization. Check your BIOS settings to see how you have virtualization set up. These two were not needed for me using the BIOS settings on post #1.

Once you have the EFI folder running, all you need to do is install the Nvidia web drivers.

Back