Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Installed. Tested a few times. Inconsistent results. Will try and see how the timeout goes.
Not using the M.2. Using TP-LINK WiFi and seperate bluetooth dongle.
Config.plist attached.

The config.plist looks good.

If you are on one of the newer BIOS versions, you no longer need to enter you RAM info in config.plist > SMBIOS > Memory. The system will auto detect the RAM fine now.

On my first hackintosh, I had a faulty Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card + PCI-e adaptor that prevented sleep. It took me weeks to figure it out. Once I took out the card, sleep worked beautifully. I got a replacement card and everything was fixed.

The config.plist looks good.

If you are on one of the newer BIOS versions, you no longer need to enter you RAM info in config.plist > SMBIOS > Memory. The system will auto detect the RAM fine now.

On my first hackintosh, I had a faulty Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card + PCI-e adaptor that prevented sleep. It took me weeks to figure it out. Once I took out the card, sleep worked beautifully. I got a replacement card and everything was fixed.

Ok, this is interesting. Putting the computer to sleep from finder works sort of, in so much it goes to sleep, not just to login. Can be woken from keyboard / mouse. However, about 30 seconds in the fans, etc spin down and it won't wake. Must hit the power to get it to boot.

Set macOS Power Setting to 2mins and waiting effectively does the same thing. 30 sec spin down then nothing. Still getting the Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0000001F] for both scenarios.

I have the parts to try the M.2 wifi / bt solution, so I might give that a go. Can you think of anything else?

EDIT: Would appear that the introduction of the SSDT has also introduced some intermittent mouse lag on both my MX Master 2S and Magic Mouse 2 that didn't exist before. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok, this is interesting. Putting the computer to sleep from finder works sort of, in so much it goes to sleep, not just to login. Can be woken from keyboard / mouse. However, about 30 seconds in the fans, etc spin down and it won't wake. Must hit the power to get it to boot.

Set macOS Power Setting to 2mins and waiting effectively does the same thing. 30 sec spin down then nothing. Still getting the Sleep Failure [code:0xFFFFFFFF0000001F] for both scenarios.

I have the parts to try the M.2 wifi / bt solution, so I might give that a go. Can you think of anything else?

EDIT: Would appear that the introduction of the SSDT has also introduced some intermittent mouse lag on both my MX Master 2S and Magic Mouse 2 that didn't exist before. Thoughts?

If possible, try testing with as few USB devices as possible and with the PCI-e card pulled out.

I was looking at Blouse's build thread and saw his LuxMark results with two Vega 64s.
Screen Shot 2018-11-10 at 2.11.30 AM.png

Assuming all things are equal, 59155/2 = 29577.5.

Here's the LuxMark result from my single Vega 56. Keep in mind that my Vega 56 has a reference style blower cooler.
Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 6.20.32 AM.png

Granted, I've done quite a bit of tweaking to my Vega 56, but it just goes to show how much potential the Vega cards offers. I feel that running a Vega card at stock is unjust. With a bit of tweaking, power consumption and temps can be lowered considerably while massively improving performance.

Just a bit of motivation for those of you with Vega cards to do a little tweaking... ;)

And, @pastrychef, a brand new Vega 56 is on sale at Newegg for $339 (but ONLY today) (the MSI is on sale for $389 with rebate)......so that's a good choice for anyone struggling with the RX series.....

If you can use e-Bay, sales of the Vega 56, used, hover around $300.....some even lower, some higher.....

Last edited:
@Sofronis you seem to know a few things about overclocking.
On MacOS the AVX offset is not considered. How do you manage to deal with it?
In Windows things are easier. AVX apps are clocked lower.
A well functioning OC in Windows leads to reboot in MacOs when handbrake converts H265.
This is a Rog Strix Z390-I Gaming with i5-8600K running at 5.1 5.1 5.1 5.0 5.0 4.9, LLC 5, 1.34VCore, AVX -2
In Windows handbrake (no Quick Synch) converts H265 at 4.7Ghz and it's hot at around 90
Non AVX Apps like Cinebench lead to the same 90 at 4.9Ghz.
It's a mITX build with a Noctua NH-L9x65 air cooler. It has limitations.
You run a H265 encoding on handbrake in MacOS and the system reboots.

So in the end I have to find a compromise at 4.8 for AVX and non AVX @ 1.345VCore
Is there a way to escape this issue and have non AVX apps run higher?
Thanks a lot.
Since AVX offset doesn't work under macOS, then there's no away around it if you have workloads that use AVX. You have to lower the frequency until it's stable, like you've done.

Is there any update on Z390 motherboards?
There are quite some interesting boards from Gigabyte that can run the i9 9900K.

- Audio
- Sleep
- WiFi
- Bluetooth

I'm testing an Asus Rog Strix Z390-I Gaming and Bluetooth works OOB. Not WiFi.

Thanks

Is there any update on Z390 motherboards?

The earlier shutdown/restart and sleep problems seem fixable with emulated NVRAm as you observed with H370.

More of an issue is audio with certain Z390 boards, e.g., ASUS TUF Z390-M PRO and some other boards that have REALTek S1200A audio - doesn't work with latest AppleALC and LiLu, at least not so far and maybe never.

In general, Z390 boards with more common audio codecs, e.g., S1220A and others supported by AppleALC may be OK.

Back