Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

If I change the system definition must I also change the serial number?

Clover Configurator seems t

Does changing the system definition to 18.1 or anything, require changing serial numbers, etc? Clover Configurator changes them when you change the system definition.
Thx

Yes, you should create new Serial, Board Serial, and UUID when switching system definitions.

Yes, Clover Configurator will change that stuff for you when you change system definitions.

pastrychef I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work here. I'm waiting October to see if Apple releases new display that can go with my hopefully-soon to be build hackintosh following your guide (I don't like any of the current 5k display on the market). I'm a graphic designer so I will use it for work and can't do it with 4k display because of its PPI.

THANK YOU!

pastrychef I just wanted to thank you for all your hard work here. I'm waiting October to see if Apple releases new display that can go with my hopefully-soon to be build hackintosh following your guide (I don't like any of the current 5k display on the market). I'm a graphic designer so I will use it for work and can't do it with 4k display because of its PPI.

THANK YOU!

I think lots of the Z370 motherboards are drying up in the market as manufacturers have begun to phase in Z390, so don't wait too long... Lol

haha yeah my main doubt was that maybe the Z370 can't be used for those new displays... if they are thunderbolt for example.

haha yeah my main doubt was that maybe the Z370 can't be used for those new displays... if they are thunderbolt for example.

I've never tried to get Thunderbolt working on a hackintosh so I can't say how hard or easy it is to get Thunderbolt working.

I've never tried to get Thunderbolt working on a hackintosh so I can't say how hard or easy it is to get Thunderbolt working.
I believe the motherboard has to include support for it, just like for example the ASUS PRIME H370-A does, but this doesn't include Wifi to replace it with the Macbook Air card (I really want kb support on BIOS and make sure BT and WIFI works correctly)

I believe the motherboard has to include support for it, just like for example the ASUS PRIME H370-A does, but this doesn't include Wifi to replace it with the Macbook Air card (I really want kb support on BIOS and make sure BT and WIFI works correctly)

I'm no longer convinced that a Thunderbolt header is absolutely necessary. There are some Mac Pro users over at MacRumors.com who have Titan Ridge Thunderbolt cards working and those old Mac Pros don't have any Thunderbolt header.

Yes, the BCM94360CS2 in M.2 slot works really well for me and I if I were shopping for a motherboard today, I would definitely look for one with a compatible M.2 slot.

Yes, the BCM94360CS2 in M.2 slot works really well for me and I if I were shopping for a motherboard today, I would definitely look for one with a compatible M.2 slot.
I'm assuming any M.2 slot will do the trick right? It doesn't have to be the one where the Wifi card comes. Asking it because I found some MB that have a plastic protection all over the I/O so I'm not sure how easy is to remove these to change the Wifi card inside.

I'm assuming any M.2 slot will do the trick right? It doesn't have to be the one where the Wifi card comes. Asking it because I found some MB that have a plastic protection all over the I/O so I'm not sure how easy is to remove these to change the Wifi card inside.

No. For Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, you need E key. For NVMe SSD, you need M key.

Many thanks for this, chef. I got my parts and built this now. I did not do any "proper fix" for USB but things seem to work just fine as is.

I have an i5 8600k, overclocked to 4.8Ghz just because it was easy and temps are about 70c on prime95 being very quiet with the Noctua cooler. 16GB of 3200Mhz RAM, Samsung 970 EVO m.2 as the OS disk, Sapphire Pulse 580. Nice benchmark scores and smooth as butter. I am very happy with this.

Back