Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Been following your build, inspired me to finally ditch my high end 2016 15" Macbook Pro i've been running in closed clamshell with a 43" Samsung 4k LCD and really not happy with the performance.

I only have one slight issue with my build i'm hoping you may have experienced or can help with.

I'm using : Asus Rog Strix z370-i, 8700k @ 5ghz OC profile, 16gb Corsair 3000mhz, Sapphire 580 Pulse, Samsung 970 Evo, BCM942602 with converter. I used your EFI for AMD 3.5 and install went without a hitch. Everything works perfectly at first. I'm using HDMI which passes sound to my screen just fine but after about 20-30 minutes of playing sound it becomes distorted and crackly sounding. If left alone all sound eventually just stops working entirely. A couple things will fix it, if I unplug and replug the HDMI sound returns and works fine again for awhile or if while the audio is crackly if I go to Audio Midi Setup screen and change the Audio Format from say 2ch 24-bit 48khz to 2 ch 20-bit 48khz and back the sound returns and works normally again. Any ideas?

View attachment 340973 View attachment 340974
maybe cable ... maybe not support 4k...about amd gpu I dont know anything , i have nvidia ...sorry

maybe cable ... maybe not support 4k...about amd gpu I dont know anything , i have nvidia ...sorry

Yeah I thought it could have been the cable initially so I swapped to one I know is capable of 4k, didn't seem to make a difference. Then I switched to an active DP to HDMI converter to accomplish 4k@60hz and it suffers from the same issue. I don't use the normal audio out on the board since the only speakers I use are in the screen but i'm testing that out now with some headphones to rule things out if its all audio in general or just HDMI audio. I used a USB-C > HDMI active converter which has the same active conversion displayport chip with this screen and my Macbook Pro for a long time without any issues.

Yeah I thought it could have been the cable initially so I swapped to one I know is capable of 4k, didn't seem to make a difference. Then I switched to an active DP to HDMI converter to accomplish 4k@60hz and it suffers from the same issue. I don't use the normal audio out on the board since the only speakers I use are in the screen but i'm testing that out now with some headphones to rule things out if its all audio in general or just HDMI audio. I used a USB-C > HDMI active converter which has the same active conversion displayport chip with this screen and my Macbook Pro for a long time without any issues.
mda ... just what I was saying about the correct implementation ... it might be a bug or a wrong setting ... as I said before I do not have an amd video card so I can not say more than I did. ..sorry

What changes do I need to make (I'm using your EFI settings with a 7700K) to change from a 1070 SC2 to a Vega 64, I remember you did a step by step when you got your Vega 56 I just can't find it

Open your config.plist with Clover Configurator, then:
In the Boot section, uncheck nvda_drv=1.
In the System Parameters section, uncheck NvidiaWeb.

In /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/, make sure that you have WhateverGreen.kext installed.

Optional but recommended, look for the RadeonVega56AirCoolingFansFix.kext (link is in post #1) and install to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/.

if you followed my posts you noticed that I implemented almost all of the motherboard extensions ... I say almost because there is still work until the end ... it would be good if someone was interested in this. .. to exchange views and information ...

Are you using DSDT patches? Are you using DSDT.aml or are you doing your patches in config.plist?

Been following your build, inspired me to finally ditch my high end 2016 15" Macbook Pro i've been running in closed clamshell with a 43" Samsung 4k LCD and really not happy with the performance.

I only have one slight issue with my build i'm hoping you may have experienced or can help with.

I'm using : Asus Rog Strix z370-i, 8700k @ 5ghz OC profile, 16gb Corsair 3000mhz, Sapphire 580 Pulse, Samsung 970 Evo, BCM942602 with converter. I used your EFI for AMD 3.5 and install went without a hitch. Everything works perfectly at first. I'm using HDMI which passes sound to my screen just fine but after about 20-30 minutes of playing sound it becomes distorted and crackly sounding. If left alone all sound eventually just stops working entirely. A couple things will fix it, if I unplug and replug the HDMI sound returns and works fine again for awhile or if while the audio is crackly if I go to Audio Midi Setup screen and change the Audio Format from say 2ch 24-bit 48khz to 2 ch 20-bit 48khz and back the sound returns and works normally again. Any ideas?

View attachment 340973 View attachment 340974

Nice build!

I have not experienced the dropping of HDMI audio when I've used HDMI. But, most of the time, I'm using the audio out from the rear of the computer to a set of speakers...

Some users have stated that they enabling FixHDA in config.plist helps their HDMI audio. Please give it a try and see if it improves your situation.
Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 4.56.58 PM.png

Oh... You are using 4K over HDMI... I think it's a limitation of HDMI 1.1 which is what macOS has support for. Try lowering resolution and the audio should improve. I think it's a lack of bandwidth over the HDMI 1.1 standard.

HDMI 2.0 (4K / 60Hz) straight over HDMI output works with my 1080TI but NOT with my VEGA 64 of this build !
I used an active DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 Adapter from club3D with the VEGA64.

Is there any reason you can think of advising me against using a liquid cooling system? I was thinking of going with liquid cooling but I didn't know if this would cause any compatibility errors or if any extra kexts would be needed to regulate fan speeds.

Is there any reason you can think of advising me against using a liquid cooling system? I was thinking of going with liquid cooling but I didn't know if this would cause any compatibility errors or if any extra kexts would be needed to regulate fan speeds.

It's your choice. If you like liquid cooling, go for it. I know lots of users use it in their builds.

I've never tried liquid cooling on any of my builds but, as far as I know, there's no need for extra kexts.

Back