Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is the reason the X299 iMac Pro support thread is now over 920 pages long. Extreme complexity leads to a lot of posts from those that own them. It's like another full time job when you use an X299 CustoMac.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/

Despite a slightly quirky BIOS, I was able to get macOS up and running within an hour of receiving my $160 HP Skylake desktop. I only had to make a few adjustments to one of the EFI folders from here and haven't had to mess with anything since.

I highly doubt that can be possible with a X99 or X299.

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I highly doubt that can be possible with a X99 or X299.

Correct, even if the author of an "X" build thread provides their EFI folder it's not anything like an install on OOB compatible hardware. I would be more than happy with an 8 core Z370 build that was not high maintenance. 8-10 cores is the sweet spot for a high end workstation CustoMac. Unless someone is rendering hours of 5K footage on a daily basis there is no need for an 18 core beastly X299 build. It's fine if you've got money and time to burn but the majority of people here don't.

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Correct, even if the author of an "X" build thread provides their EFI folder it's not anything like an install on OOB compatible hardware. I would be more than happy with an 8 core Z370 build that was not high maintenance. 8-10 cores is the sweet spot for a high end workstation CustoMac. Unless someone is rendering hours of 5K footage on a daily basis there is no need for an 18 core beastly X299 build. It's fine if you've got money and time to burn but the majority of people here don't.

Yes, when Intel decided to release 6 and 8 core "consumer" level CPUs, the landscape changed. Plus, I've seen/read of how, in many instances, lots of cores does not equate to better performance. The apps you use must be able to take advantage of all the cores or it will just be a waste.

Things may have changed since the following were written/filmed but at least some of it should still be relevant:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-698/

Motherboard
Assus Rog STRIX 370 Gaming G
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
UHD 630
Hi Pastry, I've had success with my first build using your guide and exact build specs. I installed Sierra with no problems. However, I've built a second machine with the same parts but with an MSI GTX 1080 (instead of UHD 630 integrated graphics) and also 64GB RAM instead of 16GB. Other than that the builds are the same. I'm having trouble installing High Sierra. I've built the USB with UniBeast 8.1 and using your latest R3.5 Nvidia EFI. The Clover screen comes up, and then it restarts about halfway though the mac OS boot from USB. I've tried multiple USB sticks and downloaded a new High Sierra install, any ideas?

Thanks for all your work.
Cheers
Dave

Motherboard
Asus Z370-f
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
Thanks for the guide and the files Pastrychef.
The one small problem I have is that when it boots into High Sierra, the rear fan shuts down. It works fine when I boot into Win10.
I have searched for a solution, but no-one seems to be having the same problem.

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Thanks for the guide and the files Pastrychef.
The one small problem I have is that when it boots into High Sierra, the rear fan shuts down. It works fine when I boot into Win10.
I have searched for a solution, but no-one seems to be having the same problem.

What is the rear fan attached to?

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G WiFi AC
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
And if you use a different connection, then what?

Motherboard
Asus Z370-f
CPU
Intel Core i7 8700
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook
The fan connectors on the mobo to the rear near the cpu
I have a fan connected to the front mobo connectors and they are working. I've tried to connect to the second rear connector as well, but I get the same problem

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Pastry, I've had success with my first build using your guide and exact build specs. I installed Sierra with no problems. However, I've built a second machine with the same parts but with an MSI GTX 1080 (instead of UHD 630 integrated graphics) and also 64GB RAM instead of 16GB. Other than that the builds are the same. I'm having trouble installing High Sierra. I've built the USB with UniBeast 8.1 and using your latest R3.5 Nvidia EFI. The Clover screen comes up, and then it restarts about halfway though the mac OS boot from USB. I've tried multiple USB sticks and downloaded a new High Sierra install, any ideas?

Thanks for all your work.
Cheers
Dave

Please try booting in verbose mode and try to capture where it stops in a picture/video.

Alternatively, you can try one of the following:
1. Install using just UHD 630 and Nvidia card pulled from the computer.
2. Install on an drive using your first build and transplant the drive to the new build when installation is complete.