Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Create USB Installer.
Mount the EFI partition of your USB Installer.
Copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB Installer.
Reboot in to BIOS boot menu.
Select the USB Installer.
Yes, I did it exactly that way. I'm even able to boot from my current EFI after placing a copy on the USB Installer. But for some reason, the latest Clover EFI is not working off it.

Yes, I did it exactly that way. I'm even able to boot from my current EFI after placing a copy on the USB Installer. But for some reason, the latest Clover EFI is not working off it.

Don't make changes to config.plist. Use the EFI from post #1 as-is.

Also, please try with OpenCore EFI instead.

Don't make changes to config.plist. Use the EFI from post #1 as-is.

Also, please try with OpenCore EFI instead.
The as-is EFI folder and config.plist are continuing to crash the system.
The only things I think I have different from your stock system are the CPU (I still have the 8700K version) and graphics setup (630HD and Radeon 5500 XT).

If trying with OpenCore EFI - should I follow these instructions first?

Sorry to be a bother!

The as-is EFI folder and config.plist are continuing to crash the system.
The only things I think I have different from your stock system are the CPU (I still have the 8700K version) and graphics setup (630HD and Radeon 5500 XT).

If trying with OpenCore EFI - should I follow these instructions first?

Sorry to be a bother!

Please boot in verbose mode and post a photo of the kernel panic.

The CPU doesn't matter and doesn't require any change to the EFI.

If you are using 5500 XT, you should add the boot argument "agdpmod=pikera" (without the quotes) to config.plist.

You can follow the Dortania guide if you like. Or just replace your Clover EFI with the OpenCore EFI from post #1.

@pastrychef
Hi ... did your built, seemed to be going well for a while, now have regular KPs. Could please take a look and help me understand what I have to fix? I`m on 18,3 imac, 10.12.6 built 16G29.

I can't see the kernel panics. Please post again.

I can't see the kernel panics. Please post again.
Hi pastrychef! Thanks for your reply. I think I solved the problem, so I tried to erase the post before it caused unnecessary work for you. The KPs on 10.12.6 seem to have been related to the addition and placement of HWMonitor kexts. I tried something completely different, and now things seem stable. If it blows up again, I will definitely be needing your good services, ... which I may need again anyway, because I will be following this guide to reinstall 10.13.6, which never really worked well for me .... lots of problems with that. Wish me luck!!

@pastrychef

Actually .... I have a preinstall question for your built (since things went badly last time) ....

I will be installing 10.13, not sure what version that will be (maybe 10.13.2 off the installer), but I want to update that to Security update 2019-005 for 10.13 (which makes it 10.3.6, built 17G8000 or something).

Two questions about the sequence of this and how it affects a correct installation ...

(1) can I install the Security Update directly over the main install, or only after first applying the earlier 10.3.6 Combo update?

(2) when do I install the update(s), while I am still usb booted, or after directly booting for the first time into 10.13?

(3) I am initially installing a version number lower than 10.13.6, but--as mentioned-- will have that after the update. Which version of Multibeast should I be using? MB 10.4.0 (for 10.13.6), or the version before that?

Thanks!!

@pastrychef

Actually .... I have a preinstall question for your built (since things went badly last time) ....

I will be installing 10.13, not sure what version that will be (maybe 10.13.2 off the installer), but I want to update that to Security update 2019-005 for 10.13 (which makes it 10.3.6, built 17G8000 or something).

Two questions about the sequence of this and how it affects a correct installation ...

(1) can I install the Security Update directly over the main install, or only after first applying the earlier 10.3.6 Combo update?

(2) when do I install the update(s), while I am still usb booted, or after directly booting for the first time into 10.13?

(3) I am initially installing a version number lower than 10.13.6, but--as mentioned-- will have that after the update. Which version of Multibeast should I be using? MB 10.4.0 (for 10.13.6), or the version before that?

Thanks!!

It doesn't matter which update you install first. Personally, I would just go with the latest update as it would include all the previous fixes.

If you are using my EFI, don't use MultiBeast. Old versions of MultiBeast installed kexts in /Library/Extensions/. I never did that and all necessary kexts are in the EFI.

It doesn't matter which update you install first. Personally, I would just go with the latest update as it would include all the previous fixes.

If you are using my EFI, don't use MultiBeast. Old versions of MultiBeast installed kexts in /Library/Extensions/. I never did that and all necessary kexts are in the EFI.
Ok, thanks .... which of your EFIs should I use?

Back