Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

Hello pastrychef! Would you have any idea why my graphics card fan would suddenly start spinning at 100% from sleep. It JUST started doing this after weeks/months of never doing it.

No, I have no idea why it would do that. Is GPU load high?

No, I have no idea why it would do that. Is GPU load high?
Not at all. I checked inside my case, it's only one fan spinning at full speed. Thought a restart would stop it from spinning, nope. Thought turning my PC off for 30mins-1hr would do it, nope. Then I put my finger on the fan blades for it to stop, which did it. So weird.

Not at all. I checked inside my case, it's only one fan spinning at full speed. Thought a restart would stop it from spinning, nope. Thought turning my PC off for 30mins-1hr would do it, nope. Then I put my finger on the fan blades for it to stop, which did it. So weird.

Yeah. That is weird... I don't know why it is doing that. I can't hear my GPU fans at all.

Hi All!

Could I have your quick advice on my software upgrade path? My last Clover/EFI update was Apr.7, 2019 (Update #27), although I think my latest EFI dates from Jan 2019. My OS is Mojave 10.14.4. I'd like to upgrade to the most current possible macOS on this system, but not risk/lose my dual booting capability.

I'm using Clover v.4918, this is a stock pastrychef system using an i7-8700K and on-board Intel 630 graphics.
16GB RAM.

i do also have an MSi Radeon RX5500 XT that I use when the machine is booted in Windows, but I am wondering if it is supported under hackintosh these days...?

tl;dr - not upgraded for a while, looking to get to current supported macOS and Clover/EFI #s without mishap if possible!

Last edited:
Hi All!

Could I have your quick advice on my software upgrade path? My last Clover/EFI update was Apr.7, 2019 (Update #27), although I think my latest EFI dates from Jan 2019. My OS is Mojave 10.14.4. I'd like to upgrade to the most current possible macOS on this system, but not risk/lose my dual booting capability.

I'm using Clover v.4918, this is a stock pastrychef system using an i7-8700K and on-board Intel 630 graphics.
16GB RAM.

i do also have an MSi Radeon RX5500 XT that I use when the machine is booted in Windows, but I am wondering if it is supported under hackintosh these days...?

tl;dr - not upgraded for a while, looking to get to current supported macOS and Clover/EFI #s without mishap if possible!

Just grab the latest Clover EFI from post #1. Copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your current config.plist to the one that's included with the new EFI.

Try with this EFI on a USB flash drive first. If everything is good, you can replace your existing EFI with the new one.

Your 5500 XT should work OOTB with Big Sur.

Just grab the latest Clover EFI from post #1. Copy/paste your Serial, Board Serial, and UUID from your current config.plist to the one that's included with the new EFI.

Try with this EFI on a USB flash drive first. If everything is good, you can replace your existing EFI with the new one.

Your 5500 XT should work OOTB with Big Sur.
Fantastic!! As always, you are the BOSS.

2 questions -
1) Post #1 states to use UniBeast 8.1.0 to build the USB installer. Is this still the best way to go, even for Big Sur?
2) I'm unclear about the interaction between EFI folders, "blessed" boot drives, system OS drives, and so on. So step by step, let me clarify what I would do:
- Create Big Sur USB installer with bootable OS, installer, and EFI folder (all tasks will be performed by UniBeast)
- Populate EFI folder with latest Clover EFI from your post #1. Keep a copy of my own EFI on the USB, just in case.
- Reboot off the USB stick and point to the USB stick's EFI in the boot loader window
- If I'm able to launch the installer, it basically means the EFI has worked successfully. So complete the process, copy over the EFI contents to the HD's EFI ƒ, and done done.

Last edited:
Fantastic!! As always, you are the BOSS.

2 questions -
1) Post #1 states to use UniBeast 8.1.0 to build the USB installer. Is this still the best way to go, even for Big Sur?
2) I'm unclear about the interaction between EFI folders, "blessed" boot drives, system OS drives, and so on. So step by step, let me clarify what I would do:
- Create Big Sur USB installer with bootable OS, installer, and EFI folder (all tasks will be performed by UniBeast)
- Populate EFI folder with latest Clover EFI from your post #1. Keep a copy of my own EFI on the USB, just in case.
- Reboot off the USB stick and point to the USB stick's EFI in the boot loader window
- If I'm able to launch the installer, it basically means the EFI has worked successfully. So complete the process, copy over the EFI contents to the HD's EFI ƒ, and done done.

Create your USB Installer using instructions from the following:

When done, mount the EFI partition of the USB Installer and copy your EFI folder to it.

Done.

I might have gotten something wrong...

1) Created a Big Sur USB installer USB
2) Opened EFI folder and copied contents of latest Clover EFI
3) booted into Clover 5128, selected my regular (Mojave 10.4.4) HD, got an immediate run of text ending in a panic announcement (please contact https://panic_dot_app....)
4) Modified most of the included config.plist to closer match my existing config.plist and retried the latest clover efi - got a different (and faster) panic.
5) Tried to boot into the Big Sur USB - no luck, it forces a system restart
6) What am I doing wrong? I'm attaching the working config.plist in case it helps.
7) My clover preference pane is still the v.4198, fyi.

Attachments

• arts-working-config.zip
    3 KB · Views: 29
I might have gotten something wrong...

1) Created a Big Sur USB installer USB
2) Opened EFI folder and copied contents of latest Clover EFI
3) booted into Clover 5128, selected my regular (Mojave 10.4.4) HD, got an immediate run of text ending in a panic announcement (please contact https://panic_dot_app....)
4) Modified most of the included config.plist to closer match my existing config.plist and retried the latest clover efi - got a different (and faster) panic.
5) Tried to boot into the Big Sur USB - no luck, it forces a system restart
6) What am I doing wrong? I'm attaching the working config.plist in case it helps.
7) My clover preference pane is still the v.4198, fyi.

Create USB Installer.
Mount the EFI partition of your USB Installer.
Copy the entire EFI folder to the EFI partition of the USB Installer.
Reboot in to BIOS boot menu.
Select the USB Installer.

Back