Contribute
Register

pastrychef's Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (WI-FI AC) build w/ i9-9900K + AMD 6600 XT

No. Please disable Ai Overclock Tuner and XMP when troubleshooting.
Hi Pastrychef,

no issues for 3 days already since disabling AI Overclock Tuner!
Lots of sleeps and wake ups and still running without a lockup.

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get Clover r5126 to boot macOS on this motherboard. I keep getting stuck with an ACIP error for PXSX. Never had this problem before...

I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get Clover r5126 to boot macOS on this motherboard. I keep getting stuck with an ACIP error for PXSX. Never had this problem before...

are you planning to build a new hackintosh with the Intel 10 series and the big Navi? Would love to see that.

are you planning to build a new hackintosh with the Intel 10 series and the big Navi? Would love to see that.

With the announcement that Apple will be dropping Intel, I'm probably not going to do another build...

If I change my mind, I would probably go with a Zen 3 + Big Navi build.

But this will probably take a couple of years before the intel support stops, no? By that time the hardware will be out of date anyway...

Do you think it would make sense to update from an 8700k to an 9900k. Then I wouldn’t have change the motherboard, right?

But this will probably take a couple of years before the intel support stops, no? By that time the hardware will be out of date anyway...

Only Apple knows how long Apple will continue to support macOS on X86-64.

When Apple moved from PowerPC to Intel, the last PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) only got updates up to Mac OS X Leopard (released 2007). The last update to Mac OS X Leopard was released in 2009. Therefore, technically, Apple continued support the G5 for "years and years".

So, I feel that spending on a new build is quite a gamble and I would probably be better of saving that cash and applying towards an Apple Silicon Mac.

Do you think it would make sense to update from an 8700k to an 9900k. Then I wouldn’t have change the motherboard, right?

In my opinion, this is a much wiser decision. I've been seeing the 9900K on sale at great prices. In fact, I upgraded from i5-9400F to 9900K a few months back when I found it on sale for about $340. The 9900K performs very well and is pretty much the equivalent of a 10700K.

Only Apple knows how long Apple will continue to support macOS on X86-64.

When Apple moved from PowerPC to Intel, the last PowerMac G5 (Late 2005) only got updates up to Mac OS X Leopard (released 2007). The last update to Mac OS X Leopard was released in 2009. Therefore, technically, Apple continued support the G5 for "years and years".

So, I feel that spending on a new build is quite a gamble and I would probably be better of saving that cash and applying towards an Apple Silicon Mac.

In my opinion, this is a much wiser decision. I've been seeing the 9900K on sale at great prices. In fact, I upgraded from i5-9400F to 9900K a few months back when I found it on sale for about $340. The 9900K performs very well and is pretty much the equivalent of a 10700K.
Is it significantly faster then the 8700k? I only do video editing in davinci resolve.

Is it significantly faster then the 8700k? I only do video editing in davinci resolve.

The 9900K is basically just an 8700K with two more cores. The 10900K is basically just a 9900K with two more cores (and some updated power management).

If the apps you use can make use of all the cores and is maxing out your 8700K, then you should see a significant performance improvement by upgrading to a 9900K.

If the apps you use don't make use of all the cores, then performance improvement will be negligible.

Look at Activity Monitor when you are using your apps to see how efficient those apps are at utilizing all the cores.

The 9900K is basically just an 8700K with two more cores. The 10900K is basically just a 9900K with two more cores (and some updated power management).

If the apps you use can make use of all the cores and is maxing out your 8700K, then you should see a significant performance improvement by upgrading to a 9900K.

If the apps you use don't make use of all the cores, then performance improvement will be negligible.

Look at Activity Monitor when you are using your apps to see how efficient those apps are at utilizing all the cores.
What is the difference to the 9700k? It is even 100 eur cheaper.

Back