GA-Z170N Gaming, GA-Z270N-Wifi
CPU
i5-6600k
Graphics
Intel HD 530, Zotac GTX 1050 ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Afternoon all.
I would just like to thank everyone on the site for all the help so far in getting my two machines up running and majority smooth functioning.

I am however running into a small snag I can't seem to get my head around. I've installed parallels and am now trying to access a USB 3 hard drive via my front two USB ports and for the life of my I can't get the Windows virtual machine to see them. I've tried running all available option combinations whether I set it to auto connect to the Mac, the VM or ask nothing ever happens.

If on the other hand I connect the USB drive to the Mac whilst the VM is offline and parallels is down it connects just fine to it. Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar issue and/or if theres any fixes available.

I'm running 10.12.5 OSx with Parallels 12 for Mac Desktop, the drive is a WD Elements drive which is currently formatted to Fat although originally it was Mac OS Extended (journaled).
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi @Ziffel

Well I have Parallels 12 on 10.12.5 too and all works okay.

Does Parallels recognise the external drive if it is plugged into a rear USB port?

I have Parallels set to pop-up that query overlay asking me which system to attach to, by preference.

I don't have the USB setting/Advanced set to USB 3.0 in Parallels settings though.

:)

@UtterDisbelief said:

Put a drive in...

Hi @JCMunsonII :)

I've no problems at all with my USB set up and Parallels, I was just asking the OP ... Sometimes macOS and Windows seem to require different power draws to activate a plugged-in device. Rear ports generally seem more reliable on that score :)

Hi @JCMunsonII :)

I've no problems at all with my USB set up and Parallels, I was just asking the OP ... Sometimes macOS and Windows seem to require different power draws to activate a plugged-in device. Rear ports generally seem more reliable on that score :)
Given that, are the USB ports set up correctly?

I figured yours were, 'tis a matter of the OP. BTW, I have power on my front and rear ports, can't say for certain why you would not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back