Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
These methods aren't to stop freezing of cards on a hackintosh. What they do is let you use and boot from them in an actual Apple computer. Helper cards are pointless in a hackintosh, because they are only used to allow a real mac to boot a non-efi compatible graphics card.

sprocket said:
These methods aren't to stop freezing of cards on a hackintosh. What they do is let you use and boot from them in an actual Apple computer. Helper cards are pointless in a hackintosh, because they are only used to allow a real mac to boot a non-efi compatible graphics card.
So this isnt a fix for hackintosher's and their poor Framerates and poor performance of a GTX 4xx card?

This could be another "fix" for freezeing, since wallsaver is annoying, I have tried Xquartz and running xeyes, just install Xquartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki), start it and open xeyes (type xeyes in terminal). My OSX is crash free for two days now, which is a record for me after installing GTS450.

Now only if I could run Starcraft 2 :(

svakak said:
Why can't you run SC2?

Jeez, I'm getting the feeling that Fermi cards are a huge fail in Hacks since a) they aren't stable, and b) even if they are stable, they can't run certain apps (like games, for which they are designed).

clockworks said:
svakak said:
Why can't you run SC2?

Game freezes after login screen is displayed, mouse works, but I can't switch to another application (when in windowed mode). I have tried changing display settings, deleting every user setting, different user accounts,.... Before GTS450 I had 8600GT and SC2 worked. Now I need to reboot to Windows to play SC2, and SC2 is only game I play.

svakak said:
clockworks said:
svakak said:
Why can't you run SC2?

Game freezes after login screen is displayed, mouse works, but I can't switch to another application (when in windowed mode). I have tried changing display settings, deleting every user setting, different user accounts,.... Before GTS450 I had 8600GT and SC2 worked. Now I need to reboot to Windows to play SC2, and SC2 is only game I play.

I've got the same exact problem.

svakak said:
This could be another "fix" for freezeing, since wallsaver is annoying, I have tried Xquartz and running xeyes, just install Xquartz (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki), start it and open xeyes (type xeyes in terminal). My OSX is crash free for two days now, which is a record for me after installing GTS450.

Hmm, your workaround seems to be less painful than the wallsaver solution. I'll try it right now, and report immediately after a freeze.
Edit: I just came across a small program called iEyes, which is claimed to be the Mac OS X port of xeyes. I will see if that can be used instead of the x11 version. Anyone has any experience with this, please share!

hoangbv15 said:
svakak said:

Hmm, your workaround seems to be less painful than the wallsaver solution. I'll try it right now, and report immediately after a freeze.
Edit: I just came across a small program called iEyes, which is claimed to be the Mac OS X port of xeyes. I will see if that can be used instead of the x11 version. Anyone has any experience with this, please share!

I got a panic/freeze with xeyes running in background space. Did Savaka have it running in his open space?

ucfsam said:
hoangbv15 said:
svakak said:

I got a panic/freeze with xeyes running in background space. Did Savaka have it running in his open space?

I had XEyes running for about 8hrs behind my mail app, so not visible, and I had no freezes. I'll continue using this method and post back when I get a freeze.

svakak said:
clockworks said:
svakak said:
Why can't you run SC2?

Same thing happened to me. I went to Windows 7, and will come back to a Hackintosh if there ever is a solution for the Fermi drivers. Until now I will only use OSX on my laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back