Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apex, I would recommend getting an ATI 5770. It has DirectX 11 and 1024MB RAM. Obviously no CUDA support, but compared to my GTX 275 it's fast as hell.

I got about 26fps with the GTX 275 and 40fps with the ATI 5770 in cinebench's 11.5 GPU test.

Make sure to use the latest Multibeast Version. Kabyl's experimental ATI Chameleon Edition rockz!! :headbang:

btw. to install the new 5770 along side my GTX 570 I used this Installation guide:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465&hilit=ati+5770

mattewre said:
I'll try with a GTX285 or ati5770 as you suggested!

If you're looking for something on the same level as the GTX 460, a friend of mine uses a 5870 in his hackintosh with 100% success. Uses it everyday for design work, no problems.

Don't know exactly what I did, was working some time on the thing.
Bet remembered to:
removed sleepenabler and graphics enabler.

Graphics are also set in the DSDT for this board (but is 32 boot mode)
Try to overrule the 64 bits part by editing the ...boot.pli list but didn't work.

In the end put "boot 64 bits graphics enabler=yes"

Since no crash. But: don''t say this is THE method for now it works here.

Novabench score is 1610.

theLorax said:
Petertje said:
Took a peek at this guide and found at that MacMan's DSDT for the ud3r board ALWAYS make your system boot in 32 bit.

The DSDT overrules all commands. You can set 64 bits mode in Multibeast, but that is less cleaner.

On the other hand: I removed lots of kext, did some re-installs and my system is running effortly the whole day now!

What kexts?

So I just bought a new XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770, and now when my computer boots up, I get the grey Apple Logo, and then the screen just goes to black. Am I doing something wrong. Do I need to re-install OS X? What should I do?

Apex
sorry but i think It's not about, gts,gtx or something similar

Basically unless your GPU has a 256K Chip, you need to replace your older Chip (128K) with a 256K Chip, or the ROM won't work. He says anyone in the Los Angeles District can stop by and he'll change them for them if they want to do early, early Fermi Beta Testing. "You bring card and a six pack (Stella or something from GB) , I solder on chip and write an EFI ROM." <--- That's the soldering bit.

No Opel CL Support so far (someone left it out.....)

No mention of the GTX 5xx Series.

Performance is however silly, displaying how horrible Graphics we have. GTX 450 and 480 bench like a GTX 285.

He's Patched up a GTX 480 EFI ROM, Put it into a 10.6.6 Mac with the Nvidia Update, and hit "go." Boots, loads, works. No "helper cards" hacks, injectors etc.

Sadly there are still issues to solve. Power issues, stuck on Single-Display, and changing Resolution from the one it starts up with.

99% of people are better served to use Netkas' ATY_Init and a Fermi card in slot 1 with either a GT120 or 7300GT in slot 3. The Mac EFI card gives boot screens and Fermi runs normally after desktop reached. No soldering or ROM finagling to be done. Install, boot and go !!!
This seems to however be a simpler solution. Not sure.
If you have anything other than a Cupertino Special, move on. None of this will help Hack folk, unless we uncover some driver "switches". But "flashing" a card for a hack is beyond pointless.
No idea what this bit means.

Doesn't feel like accepting any long-term commitments to re-writing ROMs.

Netkas has agreed to help finish the Fermi issues, and if he becomes "King of Fermi" he might even compress it down for 128K Chips.

--------------------------
Just a summary.

99% of people are better served to use Netkas' ATY_Init and a Fermi card in slot 1 with either a GT120 or 7300GT in slot 3. The Mac EFI card gives boot screens and Fermi runs normally after desktop reached. No soldering or ROM finagling to be done. Install, boot and go !!!

Anyone can explain this method in detail ?!

Does that solve the freezing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back