Contribute
Register

OSX freeze after installing official nVidia Fermi drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people moan a bit too much,

my 480 has full 1080p QE/CI decently fast UI and barely any of this slight freezing.

I'm happy if a fix comes then good but I'm not gonna stop using it because of no solution.

iWingzero said:

my 480 has full 1080p QE/CI decently fast UI and barely any of this slight freezing.

I'm happy if a fix comes then good but I'm not gonna stop using it because of no solution.

Good for you, but that's anectdotal. Some people are having freezes a couple times a day, and they're frustrated trying to get their $200+ components functioning. This is a thread dedicated to working out the problem, so if you think there's too much moaning, kindly move on to a different thread.

iWingzero said:

It's not "slight" freezing for those of us experiencing it. It's 4-5 (or more!) times a day at unpredictable times. I've given up on using OS X at all on my hack until Apple or nVidia do something about it.

derFunkenstein said:
It's not "slight" freezing for those of us experiencing it. It's 4-5 (or more!) times a day at unpredictable times. I've given up on using OS X at all on my hack until Apple or nVidia do something about it.

Odd that you get 4-5 times a day and we have the same card, just different maker. I haven't had a freeze in about 2 weeks.

Just had my first freeze since trying the XEyes trick with XQuartz. Reverting back to the looping video.

Removed all the Fermi ****, actually re installed everything.
Installed my graphics trough DSDT.

But even now my system froze 2 times, when I'm working the screensaver pops op (while working!!).
There is just something about Nvidia that's doesnt work that well on our hacks.

theLorax said:
iWingzero said:

Good for you, but that's anectdotal. Some people are having freezes a couple times a day, and they're frustrated trying to get their $200+ components functioning. This is a thread dedicated to working out the problem, so if you think there's too much moaning, kindly move on to a different thread.
People buy their components work a system that was never meant to be work anyway. So moaning about something that doesn't work that was never originally manfactured to is a little stupid in my opinion.

If it works great you have a Mac for much less money but we should we glad that we can even install OS X on PC hardware.

Just think people take it for granted a bit too much.

iWingzero said:
So moaning about something that doesn't work that was never originally manfactured to is a little stupid in my opinion.

If it works great you have a Mac for much less money but we should we glad that we can even install OS X on PC hardware.

Just think people take it for granted a bit too much.

Then move on.

Out of my computer! MR. FREEZE!

HI everybody!

I don't know if I fund a fix but for know my card (so far) is working for me.

Like almost everybody, I put my 460 GTX OC on the shelf because I was getting tired of the freeze problem
and went back to my 9400 GT (PCIe) and my 8400 GS (PCI) as a card helper with string in my "com.apple.Boot.plist"

But 38 hours ago, I needed my 8400 GS for my old computer. So I took it off from my working station.
Before closing everything, I started thinking about my 460 GTX that look at me and was saying : Please put me back in! Lol

I started thinking that a simple change in the specification of the system like in smbios.plist
to show to my computer that I have a version 3, 4 or 5 : Mac Pro, could maybe make a difference in the perfomance.

So this idea came to me to tell my computer that my
460GTX is a 9400GT LOL CRAZY I know lol

fermi.jpg

38 46 hours without freezing with my 460 GTX OC. and counting…
no video in background, no screen desktop, no itune display, no screensaver on.

Step 1 : take off my 9400 in PEG2 and replacing it whit my 460

Step 2 : Boot my sys with peg2 with the string use for my 9400gt in PEG2.

Step 3 : System start with two screen on my 460GTX

Step 4 : Check in my sys info my : graphic setup indicate 9400GT.

Step 5 : Cinebench see it as a 460GTX and my score bench equale to 22 fps.

And no freezing since so... please try it and tell me if it is working for you! ;) or am I just going crazy here hahhahah!
24.09.12 PM.png

Attachments

• fermi.jpg
    fermi.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 189
  • 24.09.12 PM.png
    24.09.12 PM.png
    224.6 KB · Views: 161
Good to hear! What exactly is PEG and PEG2 though?

Also, a cinebench of 22fps isn't great, but it's good to know it isn't freezing. My 9800gtx+ got 22fps, for reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back