Contribute
Register

Optiplex 9020/Monterey

Actually, I now have all kinds of problems with my computer since I started changing things today. Thank you!!

Actually, I now have all kinds of problems with my computer since I started changing things today. Thank you!!

If you don't feel confident editing your config.plist then I would recommend trying OpenCore Configurator. It makes making changes much more immediate and visual. You do though, have to ensure you download the version which matches your version of OpenCore, or you get spurious errors.

For example, here is your DeviceProperties page for the iGPU:

iGPU.jpg

Lines 1 & 2 are important. 1 looks okay, but 2 maybe not. They are usually the same value - so 220D0000 might be a better fit. I admit HD4600 is not my strong point. Maybe someone will correct me. The hda-gfx line looks okay, but all the rest are not needed if you have set DVMT to 64MB in your BIOS. If not then we can confirm which two others are needed.

(This app is derided by a lot of people but as long as you use the version which matches your OC it makes learning the associations easier.) We can advise on this too.

:)

P.S Remember to back-up a USB boot stick just in case anything goes wrong. That way you can get back into your system :thumbup:

Remember to back-up a USB boot stick just in case anything goes wrong.
He already made one yesterday. Also, Steve has been using OCAT with success to make config.plist edits so he can continue using that if he'd like to.

He already made one yesterday. Also, Steve has been using OCAT with success to make config.plist edits so he can continue using that if he'd like to.

Ah.

Last edited:
Good morning guys. After making some additional changes to the config.plist yesterday, I was developing some additional issues. I was having trouble shutting down and restarting the computer. It froze and I needed to press the power button on my Optiplex 9020 to shut down. Also, the audio on all of my music programs were distorted and skipping when playing any audio, including playback of YouTube videos. This morning everything seems to be fine.

As you can imagine, I started to become uncomfortable with making more changes. I downloaded Duck Dick Go, and it works great. I also merged all of my Thunderbird info from my Mac mini (which works perfectly) into Apple Mail. I am going to have to get used to the new look and appearance, but so far it is working fine. I was hoping for perfection, but I realize I need to make some adjustments, as there appears to be no perfect with Mackintosh builds.

The only issue that I would live to solve is adding a second monitor. I have a DP-HDMI adaptor that works well in Windows 11, but is bubby with the Mackintosh. If I add the second monitor to the system while the computer is on, I seem to be able to get it to work. However, when I restart the computer with both monitors plugged in, the computer refuses to boot into Monterey. I need to manually shut it down, and remove the second monitor cable, and then I'm good. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the Optiplex/HAckintosh set up or not. Again, I can live without it, but I would prefer at least the second monitor. I use three monitors with my PC set ups, and I am a bit spoiled.

Again, thanks for all of your help. I assume that Tony is trs96, and you have been a great teacher to me.

Steve

Also, the audio on all of my music programs were distorted and skipping when playing any audio, including playback of YouTube videos. This morning everything seems to be fine.
This is another good thing to remember when making .plist changes. When you use OCAT to make edits it auto saves a copy of your previous config.plist and puts "old" in front. If you ever need to go back to it just remove old and change the name of the other config.plist that doesn't work to something else. BTW I'm not Tony that's the owner of the site (admin) I'm a moderator.

Screen Shot 2024-03-22 at 10.29.10 AM.png

For the 2nd monitor boot up problem, I would simply leave the cable unplugged until you're fully booted up then connect it. A hassle I know, such is the way things are with a hackintosh, there are always some compromises.

Thank you. I have noticed the old config.plist before. I suspected that I could do that.

I’ll do as you say with the monitor. I wasn’t sure if it was good for the system if I plugged it in and out while it is on. I don’t think pcs like that.

I wasn’t sure if it was good for the system if I plugged it in and out while it is on.
No problem in doing that. Won't do any harm to the pc.

Please inform Tony that you have been most helpful. More than I ever would have expected.

Thanks again.

Steve

Back