Contribute
Register

Octane/Cuda rig- preferred HackT architecture for multiple gpu. 3 or 4 Titan Z's on one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a little hole, and it makes it look like I wasn't paying attention to your posts. Oops. Anyway, in the quest to find the exceptions (or to find the 'true' pattern)...

Do you remember which OS you were running with the three Maxwell's?

Why use the Z, that MASSIVE card, that requires MASSIVE juice...?

Z scores 175 on OB
X scores 125 on OB

Titan Z is attractive with water blocking, it becomes a single slot card. There's some pretty crazy stuff over on the Otoy forums (not sure of rules for posting to other sites, and I don't want this post deleted)
Three of Z (waterblocked, for packaging and thermal efficiency) for OB will crush the X.
Don't get me wrong the X is AWESOME
I was on 10.10 Yosemite. There is no doubt in my mind that it would work the same in El Capitan. I removed 1 because I didn't really need it and I wanted to install other PCI cards.

Z makes a lot more sense if you can shrink it to 1 slot with water cooling. Again, I would test 1 in OS X before investing in more and definitely before setting up water cooling.

I was on 10.10 Yosemite. There is no doubt in my mind that it would work the same in El Capitan. I removed 1 because I didn't really need it and I wanted to install other PCI cards.

Z makes a lot more sense if you can shrink it to 1 slot with water cooling. Again, I would test 1 in OS X before investing in more and definitely before setting up water cooling.

First Z will be arriving next few days.

We will take it slowly, carefully... thanks for all your advice

btw, this guy has got two Titan Z's running on his Mac (little unorthodox)

https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43822

...took a while for all the parts for the "eGPU" (Z+ Tbolt 2 enclosure + sfx) to arrive.

X79 mobo's are getting thin on the ground, what do you recommend for El Cap rig, with a E5 1660 (v1)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Hello, I have experiences with Octane.
I have 2 workstations, both 2X E5 8 cores
- asus z9pe-d8 ws 2X E5-2670 v1
- Supermicro X9dai 2X E5 2687w v1
I tried to mixed-up some GPU:
- GTX 660 ti
- Quadro K5000
- 3xGTX 980 ti

The 660ti is the Gpu for the installation without it I i couldn't boot at all..

The idea is to keep the K5000 for the monitor and the 3x980ti only for octane, but unfortunately is more complicate than that.

The asus motherboard has 4 PCi-E 16X but only with the PCI-5 worked so only one card is recognised but I had an amfeltec GPU splitter.
http://amfeltec.com/products/flexible-x4-pci-express-4-way-splitter-gpu-oriented/
It works pretty well, unfortunately it's a nightmare sometimes, it boot with the screen connected with the GPU2 but I have to disconnected the connector to reconnect with the GPU1.. I don't know how it choose the port...

The supermicro is more stable than the asus MB but has only 3 pci-e connectors.

I tried both with WIN 10 but they are both very unstable... It was a totally surpise that my hackintoshs are more stable than Win 10 with the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back