Contribute
Register

NVMe Kernel Panic - Out of ideas

You're welcome! I do suggest strongly to also check which slot the M.2 sits in - it is most likely the culprit, as is the installed NVMe kexts/OC drivers (so just tick them off the config.plist if you have them). On my other Z490 Xtreme build, I had to place the NVMe onto another slot in order for it to be boot. Gigabyte usually has a reference table in the manuall that shows which M.2 slots are in conflict with the SATA SSD port.

I don’t use any NVMe related kexts, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

I have only two m.2 slots on the z370n-Wi-Fi. Both occupied (one for windows)

Are you suggesting I have to be careful which SATA ports I use also?

I don’t use any NVMe related kexts, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

I have only two m.2 slots on the z370n-Wi-Fi. Both occupied (one for windows)

Are you suggesting I have to be careful which SATA ports I use also?
Right. In that case yes totally. As I said check the manual to see if it is the case. If it helps this is the table that was provided in my Z490 manual:

z490-pcie-slots.png

@TurbineSeaplane Sorry to unearth this thread, but did you solve your problem ? I have the exact same one with a SN850 500G...

It went away.
I truly have no idea how or what or why

My only guess was that somewhere, something fixed it along the way as I kept up with latest OS and OpenCore releases.

I have the same issue with comes back intermittently usually after MacOS updates. It drives me nuts and I have not been able to solve it for years now.
- Changing slots does not help
- Changing memory neither
- Most luck i had was with refreshing the bios which makes me to believe it is maybe a more low level software issue

I have the same issue with comes back intermittently usually after MacOS updates. It drives me nuts and I have not been able to solve it for years now.
- Changing slots does not help
- Changing memory neither
- Most luck i had was with refreshing the bios which makes me to believe it is maybe a more low level software issue
I know what you mean, and it has made me be pretty hesitant about doing updates anymore.

For example, my current install has been working flawlessly for months and months and I just don’t wanna touch it as a result.

I changed my setup, moved to a Z690 pro Art (golden build by CaseySJ) and the problem vanished, same drive, same cloned OS.

The drive itself is not an issue because i moved a problematic one to a hackintosh NUC and never had an kernel panic anymore. I actually switched motherboards already and moved from a gigabyte z390 gaming X to gigabyte z390 gaming M but i have the issue on both.

With recent developments where Apple is dropping popular bluetooth/wifi cards i am not sure i am willing to invest in a new rig so it would be great if we could get to the bottom of this.
I am more contemplating going back to an SSD instead.

Back