Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (387.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm that after this suplemental update and Nvidia Web Driver v. 387.10.10.10.25.158 (automatic via Driver Manager from settings) there is no lag and my Hackintosh feels like new again :D

Hmm, we're getting contradictory claims about 387.10.10.10.25.158. Some users are saying they're laggy, whilst others are saying they're fine.

It's significantly easier to report failure (observation of an abnormality) than it is success (no observation of an abnormality). The former is obvious, whether the latter requires consistent careful measures.

Obviously what we're doing here isn't rocket scientist, but it would be immensely appreciated if those reporting success attempt to be as rigorous as possible - even if that just means opening up Chrome on a couple of monitors and minimising/maximising windows.

387.10.10.10.25.158 has been blacklisted in nvidia-update due to the reports of lag. In theory if 387.10.10.10.25.158 fails on some systems but 378.10.10.10.25.106 works on all systems, with no obvious advantages to 387.10.10.10.25.158, then I'm comfortable with that.

However, consistency would be nice if possible ;)

Can confirm that after this suplemental update and Nvidia Web Driver v. 387.10.10.10.25.158 (automatic via Driver Manager from settings) there is no lag and my Hackintosh feels like new again :D

No lag as well with 387.10.10.10.25.158

Both of you don't seem to be using the hardware that causes the lag, namely Skylake/Coffeelake AND Pascal cards running on 10.13.3

@michelb76 Nice observation, I was just about to suggest keeping an eye on what hardware is involved.

It's a bit of a juggling act with so many hardware setups but I'd like to keep nvidia-update's BLACKLIST in a state that works well for everyone. Or else I'm going to need to update the script to inspect system hardware - which is certainly possible, just not ideal.

@michelb76 Nice observation, I was just about to suggest keeping an eye on what hardware is involved.

It's a bit of a juggling act with so many hardware setups but I'd like to keep nvidia-update's BLACKLIST in a state that works well for everyone. Or else I'm going to need to update the script to inspect system hardware - which is certainly possible, just not ideal.

I've been observing the issue since .104 was released. As far as I can tell, "the lag" primarily affects Skylake and newer.

Also, .104 was the release for macOS build 17D205. .105 and .106 were NOT updates for .104. They were releases made specifically for iMacPro1,1. Though, I don't know if there's anything different with the drivers themselves other than "NVDARequiredOS" in NvidiaWebStarup.kext.

It's a bit of a juggling act with so many hardware setups but I'd like to keep nvidia-update's BLACKLIST in a state that works well for everyone.
Maybe switch to a whitelist. It would prevent the installation of a new driver that causes problems, as it was the case with 158.

@bogdanw I did consider that but seems as new drivers are nVidia certified for an OS release, they should at the very least "work", although as we can see they may have performance issues. Where is it's possible a OS update might cause the system to be totally incompatible with old drivers. So forcefully rolling-back users drivers (because new drivers won't be whitelisted), before I (or someone else) has checked if it's possible, probably isn't the best solution.

So forcefully rolling-back users drivers (because new drivers won't be whitelisted), before I (or someone else) has checked if it's possible, probably isn't the best solution.
There is no need for a script to install the latest drivers, you just download from NVIDIA and install. The point of a script is to allow installing versions that are not allowed by NVIDIA installer.

Apply Clover kext patch from here and the drivers don't need to be patched. Download the repackager from post #11 of that thread and you can install any driver package from the Nvidia Drivers page. Problem with latest driver? Reinstall previous working one. No bogus claims or black list required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back