Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Releases Alternate Graphics Drivers for macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 (387.10.10.10.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Sandy Bridge system with a GeForce 970 and two displays connected over HDMI, booting with the .156 driver gives me no video.

See #330, but today I decide to install Clover UEFI Boot Mode v2.4k r4411 to upgrade from OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to OsxAptioFix3Drv-64.efi (in case emulated NVRAM was causing the problem), and I also installed the Clover Emulated NVRAM Uninstaller to get rid of anything related to emulated NVRAM.

I upgraded from the .104 driver to the latest (.156), rebooted, and got no video (black displays).

I then downgraded to .106 (slightly newer than my previous driver), and everything works fine.

So I still (#336) suspect that the .156 driver has problems with HDMI.

wait, so is there a NEW web driver for 10.13.3 that fixed the issues of the previous web driver for 10.13.3? or am is it the same driver, just not causing you in particular problems?
Apologies - just to confirm others' follow-up posts, my specific configuration is not giving me any difficulty at all. Clearly, that is not the case for many users. I am not using HDMI video on my rig so cannot address the concerns expressed by others.

Updated to version 17D102, but the new NVIDIA web driver again leads to a black screen on reboot (as in post #12). Reverted to 378.10.10.10.25.104. This is disappointing, but the old driver does work well.

Still on HFS+, 2xSamsung SSDs, CUDA Driver Version 387.128

Updated to version 17D102, but the new NVIDIA web driver again leads to a black screen on reboot (as in post #12). Reverted to 378.10.10.10.25.104. This is disappointing, but the old driver does work well.

Still on HFS+, 2xSamsung SSDs, CUDA Driver Version 387.128

The black screen issue is a totally different issue than the lagging one. Considering your setup (Core i7 4770k + 1080 Ti), the latest driver should work without issue or lag.

To solve the black screen issue you need:

1) Disable Intel iGPU in BIOS (to avoid it to take over the display instead of the VESA mode when disabling NVidia Web option)
2) Boot with SIP fully activated (0x0. Very important the post install script on .156 and .158 version check for it and doesn't run correctly if it's not fully activated) and without NVidia Web option in Clover (VESA mode)
3) Uninstall the existing Web driver you have installed using the "Open Uninstaller..." option in NVidia PrefPane.
4) Install new NVidia Web Driver .158
5) Reboot with NVidia Web option in clover checked (but keep SIP fully activated (0x0) for the first boot, just in case)
6) If the driver loads correctly, then you can disable SIP if you want.

Doing so should allow you to use the latest driver without issue or even lagging.

Last edited:
The black screen issue is a totally different issue than the lagging one. Considering your setup (Core i7 4770k + 1080 Ti), the latest driver should work without issue or lag.

To solve the black screen issue you need:

1) Disable Intel iGPU in BIOS (to avoid it to take over the display instead of the VESA mode when disabling NVidia Web option)
2) Boot with SIP fully activated (0x0. Very important the post install script on .156 and .158 version check for it and doesn't run correctly if it's not fully activated) and without NVidia Web option in Clover (VESA mode)
3) Uninstall the existing Web driver you have installed using the "Open Uninstaller..." option in NVidia.
4) Install new NVidia Web Driver .158
5) Reboot with NVidia Web option in clover checked (but keep SIP fully activated (0x0) for the first boot, just in case)
6) If the driver loads correctly, then you can disable SIP if you want.

Doing so should allow you to use the latest driver without issue or even lagging.
I'll try this and report back. I saw a similar post before, but haven't had time. Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Re NVIDIA web driver and Haswell/8 or 9 Series mainboards: MUST UNINSTALL OLD WEB DRIVER AND TEMPORARILY ENGAGE SIP to properly install new web driver. I used the NVIDIA preference pane to uninstall the old web driver (25.104), downloaded the new 25.158 web driver, used Clover Configurator to set the CsrActiveConfig to 0x0 (save), and rebooted; made sure there were no Nvda* or GeForce* files in /Library/Extensions -and no GeForce*Web* files in /System/Library/Extensions (there weren't), changed CsrActiveConfig back to 0x67 (save), installed 25.158 web driver with downloaded installer; rebooted.

NOW no black screen; no lag as expected with this board; all good. (See iFrodo post p. 18, #172 as well.)

Thanks to iFrodo and previously to iLikeHackintosh, robinas, and many others here!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back