Contribute
Register

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I've just bought a GTX 760 MSI, and a don't seem to make it work with my configuration.

I'm using : Z77X-UD5H, core i5 3570k, Corsair SSD

Until now i've used the HD 4000 graphics with my 27" 2560x1440 screen without problem. This is my first graphic card.

I set my boot.plist with GraphicsEnabler=No, added the PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x3000, without success.

This is my current boot.plist (without the card I set GraphicsEnable=Yes)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
     <key>Graphics Mode</key>
    <string>2560x1440x32</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
        <string>darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000</string>
    <key>Legacy Logo</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>2</string>
    <key>UseKernelCache</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

The problem is that I'm stuck with the forever spinning weel...

Configuration is iMac12,2. I always had KP using any MacPro, so I keep using iMac12,2.

Any ideas? I don't think the card is the problem, given other made it work...

I'm runnig nearly same config, Z77x-UD5h/i7-3770k and I'm going to buy this MSI OC 760GTX.

Is there any need to type this kind of command like I did for my GTS450 to enable OpenCL?

sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

I'm running my hack with CloverEfi as bootloader. Did my config.plist will stay the same, or will I have to modify it?

For Gregouille93 (french?), try booting with -v in order to see where it stuck. Maybe iMac12,2 doesn't support Kepler, try lastest smbios like Macmini 6,2 or iMac13,2. Why do you use the PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x3000?
Did you de-activate entirely your HD4000 and set your PEG as default graphics card in BIOS?

For Gregouille93 (french?), try booting with -v in order to see where it stuck. Maybe iMac12,2 doesn't support Kepler, try lastest smbios like Macmini 6,2 or iMac13,2. Why do you use the PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x3000?
Did you de-activate entirely your HD4000 and set your PEG as default graphics card in BIOS?

Hello,

Yes i'm french :)

Tried Macmini 6,2 and iMac 13,2. I am able to boot with the HD4000 but not 760. Boot with PEG in BIOS. Are you using the Macpro smbios?

I used PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x3000 from the guide here :

http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

npci since 760 is Kepler I figured I give it a try.

From the Verbose mode i'm stuck just after the Volumes:
photo.JPG
ITEIT87x: found ITE IT8728F

Thanks for helping :)

Hi guys & girls!

I'm looking to buy a GTX 760 (Gigabyte) and I'm a bit puzzled by the latest posts...

I've got a GA Z77X-UP5 TH running very well with the HD4000 of an i7 CPU with 10.8.4.
I was wondering a couple of things...

1) Is it really necessary to modify the boot.plist besides GraphicsEnabler=Yes to =No?
Are PCIRootID & npci really necessary?

2) If I buy a GTX760 I won't be able to see the login screen (since my only display will need to be connected to the GPU card DVI or DisplayPort and not the motherboard)?
Is there a way to restore (maintain) the login screen functionality? Are some GPUs capable of maintaining even the login screen?

3) Right now the HD4000 or the MoBoard fail to properly detect my display (an old Samsung connected trough a DVI port) resulting in strange behaviours when trying to run in a non native resolution (like in games), a feature supported by the display on a real MBPro. What about with the GPU? Are some of you having a similar kind of issues?

Have a nice days / night / morning (ah the joys of worldwide communication ^^)

Hi guys & girls!

I'm looking to buy a GTX 760 (Gigabyte) and I'm a bit puzzled by the latest posts...

I've got a GA Z77X-UP5 TH running very well with the HD4000 of an i7 CPU with 10.8.4.
I was wondering a couple of things...

1) Is it really necessary to modify the boot.plist besides GraphicsEnabler=Yes to =No?
Are PCIRootID & npci really necessary?

2) If I buy a GTX760 I won't be able to see the login screen (since my only display will need to be connected to the GPU card DVI or DisplayPort and not the motherboard)?
Is there a way to restore (maintain) the login screen functionality? Are some GPUs capable of maintaining even the login screen?

3) Right now the HD4000 or the MoBoard fail to properly detect my display (an old Samsung connected trough a DVI port) resulting in strange behaviours when trying to run in a non native resolution (like in games), a feature supported by the display on a real MBPro. What about with the GPU? Are some of you having a similar kind of issues?

Have a nice days / night / morning (ah the joys of worldwide communication ^^)

I have the Gigabyte 760 on my GA-Z77X-D3H with i5-3570K and it took me a bit to get it to work properly. Before I upgraded, I had a 5770 which worked perfectly.

1) No, GraphicsEnabler=No should be the only thing you need to change in boot.plist

2) I always boot straight to the login screen to keep pesky family members from using my computer :lol:, I don't think you should have any issues with that. The only time I did have that problem was when I had my system definition to MacPro5,1 and didn't delete AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. More on that below.

3) I don't think I had that issue when I used the HD 4000 at first. But I can tell you now that my 760 doesn't have this problem, you should be fine.

I also had this problem where every couple hours or so, the computer will freeze completely while the last bit of audio looped. This forced me to press the reset switch and hope my work was autosaved. I narrowed down the issue to the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext. You may be just fine simply deleting that by itself, but I went and set my system definition to MacPro5,1 and deleted both AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and AppleTyMCEDriver.kext (because this causes kernel panic with the 5,1 definition) and now my hackintosh has been running for 12 hours straight :D. I tried many different configurations such as not deleting AppleGPUPower.kext, patching it myself, MacPro4,1, and the original MacPro3,1 definition; but this seems to be the best configuration for me, hopefully you can find what's best for your motherboard.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Works - Kinda. Unless you need CUDA

I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents on this one.

Just bought the Gigabyte OC'ed GTX 760 card to replace a GTX 650 in my 3770/UD5H based system.

While it does indeed work when it comes to general usage, I have yet to be able to enable CUDA support, nor get it to be recognized by Premiere CS6.
I'm assuming this is because it shows up as a generic GK104 chip. I've even tried hacking the Premiere graphics card text file, added GK 104 and GTX 760 to see if it just needs a reference to the name, but to no avail. Resolve 9 also doesn't recognize the card.

Nvidia web drivers won't turn on either when I install them. Keeps kicking me back to the stock drivers.

So I think we're going to have to wait for 'full' support for this card. Hopefully the updated drivers in 10.8.5 will include a new lookup table and we'll be money.
Until then, I've had to go back to the GTX 650 to get some work done.

*** UPDATE ***
Ok, I've got the OS seeing it as a 760 now. Found the post about adding the nvda_drv=1 flag to the boot file and it seems to be using the new drivers. Premiere sees it now. However, I am getting an intermittent black screen flash every few minutes or so. Anybody seen that?

My 760 does work it just says its NVIDIA GK104 though and it wont work with after effects to support cuda cores. Could you help me out or just point me in the right direction to get this fixed.

Thanks

I've been able to get it working with CUDA by installing the Nvidia web drivers following these directions:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/101270-nvidia-updates-web-drivers-10-8-4-313-01-02f01.html

Then manually adding GTX 760 to the supported card text files (do a google search if that doesn't ring any bells)

First post :headbang:

I can also confirm the GTX 760 works. My exact model is an EVGA 760 SC W/ACX cooling, and so far it has worked perfectly using the native drivers. I used integrated graphics for installation and then put my 760 back in after running Multibeast. I don't do any video editing, or anything hardcore like that. Perhaps a problem would arise if I were to video edit, as I've heard people having problems with something CUDA related when running software that is heavily dependant on something like that. I think I may have gotten OpenGL working, but I'm not sure how to tell. Could someone please explain how I could check if it is working?

Edit: Actually I think it's called QE/CI or something like that? I'm not really sure what the difference is between all of these graphical things...

Good to know that the GK104 labelling is fine to work with. My EVGA GTX760 seems to work out of the box, I was replacing a faulty GTX660Ti so all seems to have been set up well. See my earlier post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...fan-only-gk104-recognised-system-profile.html

I would like to ask however, my card nearly constantly has the fans running at full speed. Occasionally, the fans drop to normal speed and all is quiet.

I've tried installing HWMonitor and have iStats but neither seem to illustrate the fan speeds or GPU temp.

I've raised a support request with EVGA but not sure how much help they'll be.

Anyone with a bright idea, I would love to know an answer as it's rather noisy in my workshop.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back