Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a five year old Hackintosh based on the GA-Z77X-UPS-TH and just upgraded to Mojave. My video card is the GEFORCE GTX670 and it's only working in 1024x768. I have read through various threads, downloaded the Web Nvidia drivers and could be missing something obvious. Any recommendations?

If I have to upgrade to a new video card I am open to recommendations there and don't need anything crazy for gaming.

Thanks!

The GTX 670 should be fully supported by native macOS drivers. You should not be stuck in 1024x768. Even my cheap, old GT 630 can do 4K.

My interpretation is that we won't see any Nvidia cards in Macs any time soon.

It's anyone's guess if Nvidia actually has web drivers ready or if/when they will be released. I've seen lots of people grasping at straws in an effort to comfort themselves in to believing it will happen soon but with zero evidence proving anything.

Even if Nvidia released Mojave drivers today, how much confidence do you have that something like this won't happen again?

Good point. Just discussing with my husband the annoyance I feel at realizing I should pribably just sell my Nvidia card and get a trouble-free, natively supported one. Just so much hassle. Especially since I made the questionable - but otherwise functional - decision of making my Hack my primary workstation (I’m a teleworking software developer) more than a year ago. I just need it to work without stuttering as the internal Intel graphics do.

Good point. Just discussing with my husband the annoyance I feel at realizing I should pribably just sell my Nvidia card and get a trouble-free, natively supported one. Just so much hassle. Especially since I made the questionable - but otherwise functional - decision of making my Hack my primary workstation (I’m a teleworking software developer) more than a year ago. I just need it to work without stuttering as the internal Intel graphics do.

I had been a long time Nvidia user and one of their biggest advocates, but I saw the writing on the wall when High Sierra was released. The Nvidia web drivers were causing severe UI lag from macOS 10.13.0 to 10.13.3. I felt three revisions was enough. The lags were so bad, I would get headaches from them. Eventually, I bit the bullet and sold my GTX 1080 and went with a Vega 56. This was at the height of the crypto currency mining craze and paid far, far more than what a Vega 56 should ever be sold for, but I have zero regrets.

I had been using Nvidia cards for so long that I'd forgotten how smooth the Mac UI is supposed to be. I have to concede that going with a natively supported card is the much wiser choice and that I was blinded by the specs of the Nvidia cards. Although on paper, the Nvidia cards look fantastic and mostly better than AMD's offerings, shoddy Mac drivers hampered them severely and we never really got what their specs promised.

If/when there are problems with GPU drivers, I have much more confidence that Apple will correct driver bugs in macOS than Nvidia would. This is being proven by their lack of any drivers at all for Mojave.

The GTX 670 should be fully supported by native macOS drivers. You should not be stuck in 1024x768. Even my cheap, old GT 630 can do 4K.

Yes but not in Mojave, you need 700 series for that.

I had been a long time Nvidia user and one of their biggest advocates, but I saw the writing on the wall when High Sierra was released. The Nvidia web drivers were causing severe UI lag from macOS 10.13.0 to 10.13.3. I felt three revisions was enough. The lags were so bad, I would get headaches from them. Eventually, I bit the bullet and sold my GTX 1080 and went with a Vega 56. This was at the height of the crypto currency mining craze and paid far, far more than what a Vega 56 should ever be sold for, but I have zero regrets.

I had been using Nvidia cards for so long that I'd forgotten how smooth the Mac UI is supposed to be. I have to concede that going with a natively supported card is the much wiser choice and that I was blinded by the specs of the Nvidia cards. Although on paper, the Nvidia cards look fantastic and mostly better than AMD's offerings, shoddy Mac drivers hampered them severely and we never really got what their specs promised.

If/when there are problems with GPU drivers, I have much more confidence that Apple will correct driver bugs in macOS than Nvidia would. This is being proven by their lack of any drivers at all for Mojave.

Your previous message convinced me. I pulled the trigger on a natively supported AMD. :p

Yes but not in Mojave, you need 700 series for that.

I thought the iMac13,1 and 13,2 were still supported by Mojave. Those systems had 600-series Nvidia cards.

I thought the iMac13,1 and 13,2 were still supported by Mojave. Those systems had 600-series Nvidia cards.
The GT 640 and GTX 650 both work in Mojave.

Please stop with the unsubstantiated rumors. They don’t make you look smart or helpful or important.
This thread is all about a rumor, in case you didn't get that. And unhelpful comments don't make you look any smarter or helpful or important either - except maybe in your own mind. ;)

This thread is all about a rumor, in case you didn't get that. And unhelpful comments don't make you look any smarter or helpful or important either - except maybe in your own mind. ;)

The title says "Nvidia Driver for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, WorkAround". I don't see any rumor or speculation there.

The title says "Nvidia Driver for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, WorkAround". I don't see any rumor or speculation there.
I see rumors and speculation posts throughout this thread. Did you not see any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back