Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point. But in their statement they are not saying that they need help to get their drivers to work with Mojave. They are saying they can't release drivers until Apple approves it. That implies they have drivers ready and are holding them back and not releasing because of Apple. I'm just not buying that BS.

Warning: this is entirely speculation, just me wondering.

Apple seems to have some mechanism for determining which computers/cards qualify as 'running' Metal. If your computer/card isn't on the list, Mojave just won't install.

This implies that there is something in the profile/codebase - Apple's - that blocks any computer/card that doesn't 'qualify.'

Now, there are hacks to get around this - somebody somewhere has found a way to override this - at least for installing on Macs that aren't on the approved list.

Now, this doesn't tell us that Apple has to approve - maybe NVidia knows perfectly well how to get around this - but one could understand if Nvidia wants to get its cards on the approved list. Or possibly they've looked at it and determined that the hack/workaround creates other problems.

Further speculation would just have to be about why apple would withhold adding NVidia's cards to the 'approved' list - anything from thinking the driver implementation is not good enough, or some commercial negotiation, or they don't like something about NVidia's drivers (clashes with the Mojave codebase in some way Apple doesn't like), or almost any other point of disagreement with NVidia.

I'm not saying this is the answer, but NVidia's claim that Apple is withholding approval isn't unthinkable.

Hey guys,

I got the nVidia GeForce GTX760.

I updated to Mojave. Everything looks ok, but using the default driver.

Does this mean I have no GPU acceleration ?

Thanks
Alex

Hey guys,

I got the nVidia GeForce GTX760.

I updated to Mojave. Everything looks ok, but using the default driver.

Does this mean I have no GPU acceleration ?

Thanks
Alex

It should run on native drivers, check in “about this mac” go to system info tab and then graphics you should see “metal” supported. If so you’re good to go. No need for web drivers.

It should run on native drivers, check in “about this mac” go to system info tab and then graphics you should see “metal” supported. If so you’re good to go. No need for web drivers.

Thanks for the info

It does:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 2047 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x1187
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: VBIOS 80.04.ea.00.0a
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v4

@neoxlefou,

The Nvidia Web Drivers have all ways been Beta Drivers ....

Yes...And now we do not even have those drivers for the last High Sierra security update. Something really serious is developing between Apple and Nvidia...

@neoxlefou,

The Nvidia Web Drivers have all ways been Beta Drivers ....

Yes...And now we do not even have those drivers for the last High Sierra security update. Something really serious is developing between Apple and Nvidia...

I wonder if Apple felt burned by NVidia back when they had the problems with NVidia chips in the Macbook Pros that forced Apple to replace system boards for free. Maybe they are holding a grudge.

That can explain the beta features of the drivers during all these years, but this time it appears to be something more...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back