i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
AMD RX 580s selling for over 10x the normal retail price. When will this ever come to an end ?

Screen Shot 7.jpg

1619181972863.png

Bitcoin has gone from about $65K to under $50K in about a week. We need it to continue to plummet and we will see some really good bargains on video cards on eBay.

AMD RX 580s selling for over 10x the normal retail price. When will this ever come to an end ?

View attachment 516044

View attachment 516045

Agreed. It's become rediculous.

I was looking around eBay earlier and people are bidding silly money on "parts only / faulty" graphics cards. An RX580 was up to £180 ... faulty. Do people really think these things are an easy mend? Especially as they have probably come from a crypto-miner's rig.

I am surprised the GPU manufacturers are not able to replenish retail stocks.

I am surprised the GPU manufacturers are not able to replenish retail stocks.
The cards are made in China, many never even get out of China. The Chinese seller in post #1 is asking extortionist prices to take advantage of limited supplies here. Most cards that are good for mining end up in huge farms in China where electricity is super cheap, therefore making for big profits. The electric bill is a major expense for miners.
Screen Shot 10.jpg

So rather than trying to use the card to make money mining over the long term, this seller wants instant profits.

The cards are made in China, many never even get out of China. The Chinese seller in post #1 is asking extortionist prices to take advantage of limited supplies here. Most cards that are good for mining end up in huge farms in China where electricity is super cheap, therefore making for big profits. The electric bill is a major expense for miners.
View attachment 516048
So rather than trying to use the card to make money mining over the long term, this seller wants instant profits.

Understood. Thank you.

If the GPU manufacturers are only keen to sell within their own country, and we are left with the crumbs from the rich man's table...

1) It's a big shame - and immoral.

2) Playing into the hands of Apple because their M1 GPU right now is easily equivalent to an RX560/570, needs hardly any power and is silent.

One way to scupper the PC industry might be Intel, but it's also the greed of the GPU manufacturers.

2) Playing into the hands of Apple because their M1 GPU right now is easily equivalent to an RX560/570, needs hardly any power and is silent.

Yeah. I can't wait for the next Apple Silicon SoC.

Yeah. I can't wait for the next Apple Silicon SoC.

Here's an idea - Apple, why not ...

Put all those minuscule Mac Mini M1 components on a PCIe card and sell them to us PC users. In one fell swoop we have macOS compatibility, we have a powerful CPU and a very capable GPU. Probably all on the power available from a PCIe slot or at worst with a GPU power cable. Charge us $699 for it and it's still almost a third of what that RX580 is in post #1.

One in the eye for GPU manufacturers. :thumbup:

Glad I got mine last year!.
You have extremely good luck. I've even heard motherboard sellers give you free i7 CPUs.
You must be living the right way.

I just want to clear up M1 GPU thing a bit. I have the 8 core GPU in the MBA and it's metal score is around 20000, in my 7040 user build the RX 560 MSI AERO scores 22000.
You have extremely good luck. I've even heard motherboard sellers give you free i7 CPUs.
You must be living the right way.

Yes if you fancy trying your luck at getting a free $300 i7 processor, I highly recommend buying a $30 motherboard from 'swingcomputers' on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back