Intel Core i5 3.5GHz
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi. So let's start with all the basics. I've never built a computer, so this is going to be a learning curve and I'm taking it on partly for the challenge and curiosity, and partly because I really enjoy OSX, really dislike Windows, can't afford a real Mac. I'm from Canada so everything is a little more expensive than most of the lists and videos I've read/watched.

I will be using this computer for iPad and iPhone integration for work (wired sync and iCloud, though I can just change over to dropbox if need be). I'm a writer and use/have sunk a fair amount of money over the years into apple software which is partly why I would like to stay with OS. But, I will also be using the computer for gaming — mostly blizzard, D3, Heroes of the Storm, and WoW Legion — which is why I'm putting a little more in rather than base productivity (have that with my mac book pro). I'm also looking to build a computer that will last for at least 5 or so years before I need to begin upgrading (though, the really cool concept is that I can do that without buying a new computer entirely!).

Let's get started. So I'm looking at:

Mobo: Gigabyte gaming 3 or UD3 (was previously looking at Gaming 7/UD5 and the price change isn't that difficult, but curious about compatibility issues which may make the 7/UD5 a better investment).
CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5ghz (can't really afford the i7)
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 950 (Maxwell not Pascal and I can probably use this card for several years before I'll need something else — better/cheaper options?)
SSD: Samsung EVO 250 — I don't need much storage and I have an external HD at 500gig for backups and other odds and ends (I currently only use about 70 on my macbook, for my essentials).

RAM, PSU, and whatnot should work regardless of software, no?

Just looking for advice and help with balancing compatibility, price, and issues for the Mobo and GPU, primarily. Other thoughts totally welcome!

Hi. So let's start with all the basics. I've never built a computer, so this is going to be a learning curve and I'm taking it on partly for the challenge and curiosity, and partly because I really enjoy OSX, really dislike Windows, can't afford a real Mac. I'm from Canada so everything is a little more expensive than most of the lists and videos I've read/watched.

I will be using this computer for iPad and iPhone integration for work (wired sync and iCloud, though I can just change over to dropbox if need be). I'm a writer and use/have sunk a fair amount of money over the years into apple software which is partly why I would like to stay with OS. But, I will also be using the computer for gaming — mostly blizzard, D3, Heroes of the Storm, and WoW Legion — which is why I'm putting a little more in rather than base productivity (have that with my mac book pro). I'm also looking to build a computer that will last for at least 5 or so years before I need to begin upgrading (though, the really cool concept is that I can do that without buying a new computer entirely!).

Let's get started. So I'm looking at:

Mobo: Gigabyte gaming 3 or UD3 (was previously looking at Gaming 7/UD5 and the price change isn't that difficult, but curious about compatibility issues which may make the 7/UD5 a better investment).

Can you post the actual model numbers of the motherboards you're considering? "Gigabyte gaming 3 or UD3" isn't specific enough.

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600K 3.5ghz (can't really afford the i7)

I would think the i5 is plenty of CPU for your needs.

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 950 (Maxwell not Pascal and I can probably use this card for several years before I'll need something else — better/cheaper options?)

Looks like a good choice.

SSD: Samsung EVO 250 — I don't need much storage and I have an external HD at 500gig for backups and other odds and ends (I currently only use about 70 on my macbook, for my essentials).

Is that a 2.5" SATA EVO or an M.2 EVO (of which there are a few types)? Make sure you know which one you're getting. If it's an M.2, the NVMe version, while it can provide the best performance, requires third-party drivers which you may not want to deal with for your boot drive.

RAM, PSU, and whatnot should work regardless of software, no?

Pretty much, yes. If you want to be extra careful, make sure the RAM you purchase is on the mobo manufacturer's compatibility list.

Can you post the actual model numbers of the motherboards you're considering? "Gigabyte gaming 3 or UD3" isn't specific enough.

I would think the i5 is plenty of CPU for your needs.

Looks like a good choice.

Is that a 2.5" SATA EVO or an M.2 EVO (of which there are a few types)? Make sure you know which one you're getting. If it's an M.2, the NVMe version, while it can provide the best performance, requires third-party drivers which you may not want to deal with for your boot drive.

Pretty much, yes. If you want to be extra careful, make sure the RAM you purchase is on the mobo manufacturer's compatibility list.

Hey, thanks for getting back!

The Mobo I've gone with (though from newegg):
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B012N6EW6G/?tag=tonymacx86c0c-20

This is the SSD I was looking at, unless I had them mixed:
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back