Contribute
Register

[Niggles/Questions - But Working :)] First Install Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it important to boot using the USB Installer, rather than the fresh install of Clover EFI? Is this related to installing all of my required kexts?

I already know I'm going to need to install graphics drivers - I haven't even tackled that at all yet.

Something rather curious is happening (it's not major, but it is interesting, and a tad annoying). The copy of Clover I have on the USB installer makes my BIOS crash when shutting down - I have to do a boot cycle with a failing BIOS before I can boot again back into Clover. This happens if I boot into Clover and not all the way into Mac. Perhaps this will also stop happening when I set up the boot correctly with the instructions above.

Thanks very much for those details instructions again - I'll be trying this again first thing tonight :)
Is it important to boot using the USB Installer, rather than the fresh install of Clover EFI? Is this related to installing all of my required kexts?
Only after you have the bootloader, needed kexts including Graphics, and the correct System definition (Mac Model) on the newly created System Disk, the High Sierra System disk will boot independently without the USB Installer as a constant companion. Till that time you need the USB Installer. Once you have all required files for independent booting installed, you can "Eject" the USB Installer disk from the desktop.

Now reboot with the System Disk alone.
Press the magic key (F12) for boot menu and select the "High Sierra System disk" from the list (some of the other items listed in the Boot Menu Screen may be 'bogus' or 'phantom' disks that might pose a boot issue by being 'first in line' as defaults until the BIOS learns or made to learn they are bogus and need to be avoided!) displayed to enter Clover Boot Manager Screen.

Once in CBM screen, check Options>Boot Args: and sub-menu specifically Graphics Injector> to make sure everything is OK [ If you have been doing this with USB Installer Disk in CBM > Options and remember what those menus showed, they are the ones that worked to boot USB Installer disk successfully in this MoBo/CPU/Graphics and you want the same to be there in the System disk too]

Now press Return to reach CBM > Boot System Disk >Log in Screen >Desktop.

I'm so close I can taste it! So close!
I'm now booting from the drive itself without the need for the USB.
I followed this link for a guide to installing the latest nVidia Drivers.
They installed successfully and all looks good, until I remove "nv_disable=1" from my boot args.
With the drivers enabled, when I boot up I load past the apple logo - my screen goes black - after a few seconds it fades into being grey - and then nothing. It stays grey and I can't log in or do anything.
I tried booting with verbose logging, but it doesn't seem to crash or give an error (gets past the logging stage and I still end up with the same grey screen).
I have attached my current CLOVER folder from the EFI section.
I've found a few other threads with similar issues but not sure on their relevance.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 72
Perhaps worth mentioning I tried removing the Inject Intel & adding Inject nVidia flags - this changed the problem from a black/grey screen into having no video output at all.

Fixed my problem perfectly, I think it was the SIP that did it, behaved very differently after that.

I think the very last thing on my TODO list is to install Audio drivers. I attempted to follow this but the Multibeast tool wouldn't install my ALC892 driver - it just came up with an error - and when checking the log it didn't have any useful error message. I got Multibeast to install the latest Universal driver but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have no output devices listed (HDMI, USB headphones, or 3.5" jack headphones). Any suggestions?

Fixed my problem perfectly, I think it was the SIP that did it, behaved very differently after that.

I think the very last thing on my TODO list is to install Audio drivers. I attempted to follow this but the Multibeast tool wouldn't install my ALC892 driver - it just came up with an error - and when checking the log it didn't have any useful error message. I got Multibeast to install the latest Universal driver but it doesn't seem to have helped. I have no output devices listed (HDMI, USB headphones, or 3.5" jack headphones). Any suggestions?

• For diagnosis of the problem, I need Screen Images:
    • Apple>About This Mac> System Report...--->
      • Hardware> Hardware Overview [Right Panel]
      • Audio> Right Panel
    • System Preferences> Sound
      • Input screen
      • Output Screen
      • Sound Effects Screen

For diagnosis of the problem, I need Screen Images

I've attached all the relevant files. Nothing actually shows up under Hardware > Audio > Devices. Which is interesting because the boot log shows the audio device for HDMI out.

Attachments

• Audio Issue.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
Maybe I'm wrong on this last point
Looking at your Audio_Clover ALC -130 cmd output, it has downloaded and installed the realtek ALC 892
On restart please take a look inside System Report...> Hardware >Audio and System Preferences >Sound all 3 tabs. Make sure your Speaker System is Connected and Powered properly and test the sound using "Sound Effects" of System Preferences >Sound.
Please update your result with the above. I did not check anything else from the zipped file yet.

Edit:
If you need help in configuring System Preferences >Sound > Input |Output and Sound effects testing, post your screen shots of Sound tabs I 'll edit and upload it to help.

Last edited:
On restart please take a look inside System Report...> Hardware >Audio and System Preferences >Sound all 3 tabs.

I already have restarted, there are screenshots inside that zip folder; no devices showing up in any of those screens :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back