Contribute
Register

New VoodooPS2Controller, Keyboard, Trackpad

Status
Not open for further replies.
@RehabMan

can you help me on getting my alps touchpad v3 on my dell inspiron n5110 to work :) ?

I'm not working on ALPS at this point, but there is code in there to handle it. Problem is I don't have a laptop to test/experiment with...

Went into /Volumes/ and used touch System/Library/Extensions > no error after executing

Still not working.

I really need your help. Don't want to install anything again.

Got some commands for the Terminal i can use to get it to work?
Got a Backup of those to AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext
but not the ApplePS2Controller.kext

I'll try to help out when I get home. Right now on mobile... so hard to write... I'm not sure why you would have a 'backup' of Voodoo, but not ApplePS2Controller.kext. Normal case is Voodoo is not there at all (unless you had a previous version of my kext).

I'm not working on ALPS at this point, but there is code in there to handle it. Problem is I don't have a laptop to test/experiment with...
about test and experiment consider that my notebook is with you it will give you full access to it throw team viewer and info you need will give it to you immediately that if you feel free to develop it ;)

I'll look at it when I get home. Maybe I screwed up something at the last minute before release. It happens...

No problem man, we appreciate all of your hard work!

@Rehabman: So basically version 1.7.2 make media keys without Fn work? Is this enabled by default or people have to press Fn + F? Does this setting remain after reboot?

@Rehabman: So basically version 1.7.2 make media keys without Fn work? Is this enabled by default or people have to press Fn + F? Does this setting remain after reboot?

fn+fkeys for special functions have always worked for me even before this update. What this does is swap the standard fkeys with their special functions. For example, instead of pressing fn+F7 for mute, you can just press F7 to mute (without fn), and on the flip side you must hold fn+F7 if you actually want to execute "F7" rather than "mute volume." With this kext, this function is enabled by default and can be changed by editing the info.plist for the keyboard. This setting does remain after reboot.

So far everything seems to work except the sleep delay function when pressing/holding F1 for sleep. This function is supposed to make it necessary to hold the F1 key for a specified amount of time before the computer goes to sleep (so an accidental press of F1 doesn't put the computer to sleep). Unfortunately it is not working right now, but I'm sure he will have it fixed when he gets some time. Everything else functions as it should, and is much better in my opinion. There are also other functions available in the info.plist to swap other keys around, but I have not tried them yet.

Yes, media keys and other special functions (sleep, etc.) normally accessed with Fn can now be just the key. Fn+fkeys gives you F1..F12. It is built-in to the driver so it stays on reboot.

It is enabled by default in this version as I have those keys remapped in the Info.plist that is part of the package you download. I made it default because I want people to test it, the Info.plist that is included serves as an example of how to do scan code remap, and... I kind of like it so far...

FYI. Just uploaded 1.7.3.

Highlights:

- Fixes the delay for the sleep key. Now that was embarrassing. I guess I should always avoid last minute code cleanup when I'm in a hurry.

- This version has VoodooPS2Mouse.kext fixed. So if you have trouble using the trackpad as a trackpad, you can run in "mouse simulation" mode (by removing VoodooPS2Controller/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext). Also a good option for trackpads not supported very well. I used it a little bit.. enough to get the resolution tracking reasonable, and the speed of scrolling decent. I have no idea what it might behave like on a real PS/2 mouse... In the future, I plan to add some of the "ignore accidental input" to this part of the driver.

Known issues:

- I noticed that there is a message in the system.log about missing personalities for com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPS2Nub. I think I know what causes this, and, in fact, I think the next version will not require AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (in fact will require it to be removed). It will be able to integrate it into VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Went into /Volumes/ and used touch System/Library/Extensions > no error after executing

Still not working.

I really need your help. Don't want to install anything again.

Got some commands for the Terminal i can use to get it to work?
Got a Backup of those to AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext
but not the ApplePS2Controller.kext

Here's what I would do if I was you:

- Download the latest version and extract both kexts.
- Place them on a USB stick (could even be on your Unibeast USB stick). For this I'm going to assume you put them in a folder called Downloads.
- Boot via USB stick and fire up Terminal
- In terminal:
Code:
rm -rf /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions/VoodooPS2Controller.kext
rm -rf /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext
cp -r /Downloads/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions
cp -r /Downloads/VoodooPS2Controller.kext /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions
touch /Volumes/name-of-your-hdd-volume-with-mac-os/System/Library/Extensions

Then restart. Use -f if you have to (just in case it is trying to use the kernel cache). You should be up and running at that point.

about test and experiment consider that my notebook is with you it will give you full access to it throw team viewer and info you need will give it to you immediately that if you feel free to develop it ;)

Developing a kernel extension is not something you can do remotely...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back