Contribute
Register

New to Hackintosh world, professional composer on Cubase. Would love recommendations.

Hi all, I'm a pro composer on Cubase with VE Pro on the same computer, currently using a 2013 Mac Pro 6-core 3.6 Xeon, which I overload constantly. So I'm looking into an i9 Hackintosh that's as dependable and stable as possible since I rely on my DAW for my living. I've been told elsewhere here that the 8-core is the most reliable setup and am wondering if moving to a 10-core would be worth it or not? If an 8-core I would go with the most powerful i9 at 5.0ghz Turbo'd. I'm wondering how about much more power this would give me over what I currently have. Any and all advice is welcome. I don't want to fed the greedy Mac Tax, and would prefer to build the DAW I want, but if it can't handle what I need CPU-wise then...

Other things I need are 128gb RAM and Thunderbolt 3 (ideally two ports), 6 USB3 Type A and a few Type C. I have one audio drive and four sample drives, all Samsung EVO SSD, would like those inside the case if possible (right now I have them on a Thunderbolt external thing because, well, it's the 2013 Mac Pro). Video-wise I couldn't care less about ultra HD or any of that as long as I can get two simple LCD monitors at 1080.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
CPU
i7-9900K
Graphics
GTX 760
Classic Mac
Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS

You can check this thread, we benchmarked our 9900K Rigs. You can run it by yourself on your actual machine...Report back how it goes...

Motherboard
X58A-UD5
CPU
i7-930
Graphics
HD 4870
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I replied to your other post but I've just seen this one.Why not use VE pro to it's fullest and add a slave system? Your current Mac Pro combined with a 9900k should suffice and it does not even have to be Mac..

I replied to your other post but I've just seen this one.Why not use VE pro to it's fullest and add a slave system? Your current Mac Pro combined with a 9900k should suffice and it does not even have to be Mac..
I like having it all on one system for speed and ease, and know a couple composers who do that because you can these days CPU-wise. The issue with CPU is with Cubase, where all of the audio plugins are -- VE Pro is far more efficient and better at CPU efficiency. It's wild -- Cubase will be at the red line and I can load up a huge VE Pro template at the same time that works perfectly.

Last edited:

UtterDisbelief

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370M D3H
CPU
i3-8350K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Classic Mac
eMac, iBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Sounds like an interesting project.

Bear in mind though that if any of your Pro software uses a "dongle" to authenticate its use, you need to ensure your new system has a fully configurable USB port of the correct variety.

Just a thought that might be relevant.

There are other members who use such protected software. Do a search here for tips :thumbup:

Motherboard
X58A-UD5
CPU
i7-930
Graphics
HD 4870
Mac
iMac, Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
How about just upgrading your CPU to a 8 core (E5-2687Wv2), 10 core (E5-2690v2) or 12 core (E5-2697v2) ? The 8 Core will be similar to your 6 core in base clock but the other 2 are lower.I think the 10 core is a good compromise between base clock and core/threads....
On the hack side of things, X299 seems as it would fit what you're looking for but the only fully documented guide is quite extensive from KGP. I personally like the X299 Designare EX but not a solid guide out there that I could find...
I saw at computex that another version GIGABYTE X299G Designare-10G is in the works so maybe hold out a bit longer and maybe that board can get up and running...

Last edited: