Contribute
Register

New to Hackintosh world, professional composer on Cubase. Would love recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus X299
CPU
i9-10920X
Graphics
NVIDIA GT 710
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi all, I'm a pro composer on Cubase with VE Pro on the same computer, currently using a 2013 Mac Pro 6-core 3.6 Xeon, which I overload constantly. So I'm looking into an i9 Hackintosh that's as dependable and stable as possible since I rely on my DAW for my living. I've been told elsewhere here that the 8-core is the most reliable setup and am wondering if moving to a 10-core would be worth it or not? If an 8-core I would go with the most powerful i9 at 5.0ghz Turbo'd. I'm wondering how about much more power this would give me over what I currently have. Any and all advice is welcome. I don't want to fed the greedy Mac Tax, and would prefer to build the DAW I want, but if it can't handle what I need CPU-wise then...

Other things I need are 128gb RAM and Thunderbolt 3 (ideally two ports), 6 USB3 Type A and a few Type C. I have one audio drive and four sample drives, all Samsung EVO SSD, would like those inside the case if possible (right now I have them on a Thunderbolt external thing because, well, it's the 2013 Mac Pro). Video-wise I couldn't care less about ultra HD or any of that as long as I can get two simple LCD monitors at 1080.

Last edited:
I replied to your other post but I've just seen this one.Why not use VE pro to it's fullest and add a slave system? Your current Mac Pro combined with a 9900k should suffice and it does not even have to be Mac..

I replied to your other post but I've just seen this one.Why not use VE pro to it's fullest and add a slave system? Your current Mac Pro combined with a 9900k should suffice and it does not even have to be Mac..

I like having it all on one system for speed and ease, and know a couple composers who do that because you can these days CPU-wise. The issue with CPU is with Cubase, where all of the audio plugins are -- VE Pro is far more efficient and better at CPU efficiency. It's wild -- Cubase will be at the red line and I can load up a huge VE Pro template at the same time that works perfectly.

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting project.

Bear in mind though that if any of your Pro software uses a "dongle" to authenticate its use, you need to ensure your new system has a fully configurable USB port of the correct variety.

Just a thought that might be relevant.

There are other members who use such protected software. Do a search here for tips :thumbup:

How about just upgrading your CPU to a 8 core (E5-2687Wv2), 10 core (E5-2690v2) or 12 core (E5-2697v2) ? The 8 Core will be similar to your 6 core in base clock but the other 2 are lower.I think the 10 core is a good compromise between base clock and core/threads....
On the hack side of things, X299 seems as it would fit what you're looking for but the only fully documented guide is quite extensive from KGP. I personally like the X299 Designare EX but not a solid guide out there that I could find...
I saw at computex that another version GIGABYTE X299G Designare-10G is in the works so maybe hold out a bit longer and maybe that board can get up and running...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back