Contribute
Register

New SSDs added to the recommended list of the Buyer's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to evaluate what benefits (if any) I might have in preferring the WD SN770 over the WD SN 570 on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard.
The read speeds should be similar but the write speeds on the SN770 will be much faster. I use a 250GB SN570 as a Monterey boot drive. The write speeds are about 1200-1400 MB/s. They should be higher on a 1TB version of the 570. I use the smaller size SN570 just for Internet surfing primarily. Write speeds aren't important. I'll be using a larger SN770 on a video editing build. The SN770 will be much better suited to that kind of use case.

Here's what @jaymonkey said that he gets with his SN770 on a PCIe 3.0 board. Z490 Vision G. The speed of your CPU and RAM will also affect the numbers you get in NVMe benchmark tests.

1670000383282.png

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, would a Gen 4 SSD (like the SN850X) boost dramatically the overall experience of macOS over PCIe Gen 3?

would a Gen 4 SSD (like the SN850X) boost dramatically the overall experience of macOS over PCIe Gen 3?
Depends on what you are doing and what you are comparing it too.

Out of curiosity, would a Gen 4 SSD (like the SN850X) boost dramatically the overall experience of macOS over PCIe Gen 3?
No.

Hi! Dual boot system using WD SN850X m2s here, and it is working really well.

I want to add a 4TB m2 SSD for file storage. Should I follow the recommended m2 list, or can I just pop anything in the system as it won't be ever used as a boot volume? Something like a Corsair P3 4TB drive seems to fit the bill (half the price of a 4TB SN850X).

Something like a Corsair P3 4TB drive seems to fit the bill (half the price of a 4TB SN850X).
It's the crucial P3 and it's got QLC Nand Flash. That's what makes it so cheap. You can use it, just don't try to use it as a scratch drive. For general storage it's ok. I would trust a Crucial MX500 4TB 2.5" Sata SSD with my data more than a QLC drive. Choice is up to you.

Last edited:
It's the crucial P3 and it's got QLC Nand Flash. That's what makes it so cheap. You can use it, just don't try to use it as a scratch drive. For general storage it's ok. I would trust a Crucial MX500 4TB 2.5" Sata SSD with my data more than a QLC drive. Choice is up to you.

Thanks trs96,

I can live without it being a boot drive, but there will definitely be quite a bit of scratch involved. Probably wiser just to pony up for a 4TB SN850x and call it a day.

They are definitely snappy!

Attachments

• Disk Speed Test 20230208.png
    Disk Speed Test 20230208.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Does anyone know of a drive such as a
SAMSUNG PM9A3 SSD 2.5 U.2 NVME GEN 4 1.92TB or similar U.s drive
with PCIe adapter such as a Jeyi is compatible with Opencore and the MacOS?

Does anyone know of a drive such as a
SAMSUNG PM9A3 SSD
Did you see this post ? Safe to assume all Samsung NVMe SSDs should not be used with macOS.

Since SSD compatibility usually is controller-based, picking up an SSD with a known to be compatible controller has a high compatibility chance as well.

I have been using WD Black m.2 Nvme for all new builds, so a drive such as this would most likely work?
Western digital U.2
or this: Micron U.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back