Contribute
Register

New Monterey install failed after the first step and loop reboot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Put it in the "drivers" folder.

2) What is happening in the screengrab you uploaded in post #88 is that when your system reboots during the installation it is re-starting the USB installer from the beginning again.

To fix this, when the installer reboots make sure you move the OpenCore drive selector off the USB and onto the "install macOS Monterey ..." icon and select that.
This is what I did. In fact I have already launched the first stage of the monterey installation. after 33 minutes, it restarts and there it leaves me the choice between "install monterey" or "mac OS Install". if I click on install monterey it starts again at the start and if I click on mac os install there it starts to restart in a loop constantly...

I don't know what else to do to complete this installation? I'm quite confused...

I don't know what else to do to complete this installation? I'm quite confused...

Do you have any other drives attached to your PC?

How did you create your USB installer?

How did you prepare your destination drive?

no, I disconnected all the other hard drives... I prepared my efi on my macbook pro and I formatted my destination hard drive using my USB key, choosing guid partition table and mac os journaled

oh I think I understood my mistake, I had formatted my destination disk in a GUID table when it has to be done in APFS, right?

oh I think I understood my mistake, I had formatted my destination disk in a GUID table when it has to be done in APFS, right?
yes

this time the installation seems to proceed correctly. I will at the same time launch the Monterey update. I will let you know if my problem that I had 1 week ago comes back. (boot disk that disappeared and the hack refused to start eventually after several days of it seeming to work fine).

Make a backup of your Working EFI folder. Put it on a spare USB and don't overwrite it.

Use TimeMachine, Carbon Copy Cloner or another backup software to create a backup/clone/snapshot of your current working setup. Like the EFI, put it somewhere safe in case you mess up your system. It is very easy to do.

You really don't want to have to start all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back