Contribute
Register

New MB, Boot Up Crash Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Edhawk Update: I was able to log in using the backup admin account I created when I changed the location of my Home folder (OS is on an SSD, files are on a spinning HD). But now that I'm in, I can't get any USB drives, or any of the other internal HDs for that matter, to show up. Bluetooth also doesn't work (although WiFi seems to be working). It's weird that the USB drives won't mount, b/c I'm using a mouse/wireless USB dongle as my mouse, and it's working... so the port is recognizing the input. I was able to use OneDrive to get the new EFI folder over to my Boot drive, and I was able to successfully boot from the Boot drive and get back to where I was before. Still can't log into my main account... but I'm at least into the system. Any thoughts as to why I can't access the other internal drives (or external USB drives), how I might access my main user account, and/or how I might get Bluetooth working? I am so sorry to be a pain, but appreciate SO MUCH all you guys have done for me.

Edit: Also, did I need to move both the _MacOSX and EFI folders over to the EFI partition on my boot drive? Or just the EFI folder? Thanks!

Edit #2: When I try to launch the Bluetooth preferences pane, it won't open. When I check System Information under Bluetooth, it just says "The plug-in did not respond quickly enough while gathering this information." But, like I said, the WiFi is on and working.

Last edited:
First I would apologise for the Vault mistake, I was sure I changed that entry, but obviously not.

Good that you are up and running and can get in to your System.

The USB issues will be related to a lack of USB configuration for your new motherboard's USB ports. Since Big Sur 11.3 the kernel quirk XhciPortLimit entry has been non-functional. So a USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml is required. Your USB ports need to be configured to match the 15 port limit, and to have the correct USB connector type associated with each port being activated in macOS. You should read and follow this guide by @UtterDisbelief -

You may need to install Catalina on a spare SSD/HDD in order that you can undertake the USB port Discovery with the XhciPortLimit enabled and working.

I would have thought that just the EFI folder was required. Not sure why there would be a macOSX folder showing as I don't intentionally add one. This may be a result of you using Windows to copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition on your macOS drive. Windows is know to show a macOSX folder, whereas this folder is hidden in macOS.

The Bluetooth issues may be caused by the use of the IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext & IntelBluetoothInjector.kext in Monterey. There may be something else required to get the Bluetooth module working in Monterey.

My assumption would be the USB port the Bluetooth module is connected through is non-functional, so the BT isn't showing/working.

I'll be honest I don't use Intel WiFi/BT cards, so setting up the kexts for these cards is not something I have bothered to learn beyond the basics. Bad as that may seem, all my WiFi/BT cards are Broadcom Apple cards, so I have never had a real need to get my head around which kexts are required.

Here is the information required for Monterey.

Screenshot 2022-03-11 at 20.14.36.png

So going by the information above.
  1. IntelBluetoothInjector.kext needs to be removed.
  2. BlueToolFixup.kext needs to be added.
  3. You are using version 2.1.0 of IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext.
I have attached a revised EFI for you to use.
The revised EFI contains the relevant kext changes required for your Bluetooth and I have changed the Vault entry to Optional.

See if that helps.

Attachments

• EFI 2.zip
    27.9 MB · Views: 28
First I would apologise for the Vault mistake, I was sure I changed that entry, but obviously not.

The USB issues will be related to a lack of USB configuration for your new motherboard's USB ports. Since Big Sur 11.3 the kernel quirk XhciPortLimit entry has been non-functional. So a USBPorts.kext, USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml is required. Your USB ports need to be configured to match the 15 port limit, and to have the correct USB connector type associated with each port being activated in macOS. You should read and follow this guide by @UtterDisbelief -

You may need to install Catalina on a spare SSD/HDD in order that you can undertake the USB port Discovery with the XhciPortLimit enabled and working.

I would have thought that just the EFI folder was required. Not sure why there would be a macOSX folder showing as I don't intentionally add one. This may be a result of you using Windows to copy the EFI folder to the EFI partition on your macOS drive. Windows is know to show a macOSX folder, whereas this folder is hidden in macOS.

The Bluetooth issues may be caused by the use of the IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext & IntelBluetoothInjector.kext in Monterey. There may be something else required to get the Bluetooth module working in Monterey.

My assumption would be the USB port the Bluetooth module is connected through is non-functional, so the BT isn't showing/working.

I'll be honest I don't use Intel WiFi/BT cards, so setting up the kexts for these cards is not something I have bothered to learn beyond the basics. Bad as that may seem, all my WiFi/BT cards are Broadcom Apple cards, so I have never had a real need to get my head around which kexts are required.

View attachment 543627

The revised EFI contains the relevant kext changes required for your Bluetooth and I have changed the Vault entry to Optional.

See if that helps.

Nothing to add to @Edhawk 's usual great advice.:thumbup:

I can confirm though, that if you are using the Intel Bluetooth chip, you have installed the two IntelBluetooth** kexts (we know you have), then for Monterey you will indeed need BlueToolFixup.kext in addition.

:)

View attachment 543627

See if that helps.
@Edhawk First of all, please don't apologize for ANYTHING. You got me into my system. I still don't know what was wrong the the EFI I built, but I'm in, and that's all thanks to you. So, if I understand correctly, I need to install Catalina on a spare disk, boot into Catalina FROM that disk, and then follow the USB port map guide? Well, at least that's a pain I'll only need to endure once. I hope. I desperately need to access some files on one of those drives...

@Edhawk Ok. This is crazy. I used your new EFI, but I forgot to update the SMBIOS information. The SMBIOS information I had been using came from the GenSMBIOS app. So, with the generic info that was already in there, all my drives showed up, I was able to log into my main user account AND Bluetooth is working like a charm. So, I don't know if I got bad numbers from GenSMBIOS (I did verify that the serial was not recognized), but could that have been what was keeping the drives from mounting? In any case, now that I'm back into my old user profile, I have access to my old backup EFI. So, could I/should I just copy my old SMBIOS info into the new config.plist and go from there? I assume that i'm still going to have to do the Catalina thing to do an accurate port mapping, but USBInjectAll appears to be doing its job for now. Thanks again to all!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Edhawk First of all, please don't apologize for ANYTHING. You got me into my system. I still don't know what was wrong the the EFI I built, but I'm in, and that's all thanks to you. So, if I understand correctly, I need to install Catalina on a spare disk, boot into Catalina FROM that disk, and then follow the USB port map guide? Well, at least that's a pain I'll only need to endure once. I hope. I desperately need to access some files on one of those drives...

If you really are desperate to access some files...

You could take the USBPorts.kext from my own Z490i Aorus Ultra Golden Build, and use that.

Note: I used System-Definition iMac18,3 for that build. Yours is iMac20,2. So you could edit the USBPorts.kext info.plist changing the system definition in the standard two places.

Just a thought. Better to create your own, obviously, as the ports you want may not match mine.

:)

No don't use the old SMBIOS data, as that was for a different Intel chipset/CPU/Motherboard. You need to use the iMac20,2 SMBIOS with your i9 CPU.

No don't use the old SMBIOS data, as that was for a different Intel chipset/CPU/Motherboard. You need to use the iMac20,2 SMBIOS with your i9 CPU.
Ok, used GenSMBIOS on my Mac, generated a new set of numbers, copied it in, and we're back up. Some of my USB ports aren't working, because several external drives aren't showing up... but I'll do the Catalina thing to build a port map. Thanks again to everyone who got me through this. @UtterDisbelief @JBX

Reactions: JBX
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back