Contribute
Register

New Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH compatibily

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re not doing anything wrong. All of us have experienced this and it’s due to cpu power management and it’s going to require a BIOS update from intel. I’m not sure how we’d be able to push our request on the IntelNUC forum, but this is all I’m waiting on for.

I had to do my install on my Hackintosh desktop (Z370-P + i5-8600k), remove the SSD and reinstall in the NUC8i5. From there I booted from USB and got into Mojave with full graphics acceleration(on a 4k display via HDMI) it was decently stable but I experienced a random shutdown when I went to change my startup disk in System Preferences.

thanks..going through this thread all makes sense now...

so lets hope for some changes to appear here;)
https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28179/eng/BE_0048_ReleaseNotes.pdf

yeah you are probably right regarding that link :D

UPDATE... (EmuVariableUefi-64.efi is back in style)!!

Managed my first restart, shutdown, and sleep/wake sequence with this NUC8i7BEH.

Earlier I mentioned that upon closing SysPrefs->Startup Disk, the system would hang in the same way as shutdown and restart. This seemed potentially NVRAM related, but it didn't occur to me at the time to try EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to replace the native UEFI NVRAM implementation.

This afternoon, I tried it... just added EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI... and shutdown, restart, SysPrefs->Startup Disk, and sleep/wake all worked.

I haven't tested it yet, but I suspect that now it will be possible to get through an full fresh install sequence just by adding EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to drivers64UEFI.

Early report/early testing here, so please try it and confirm.

In the future, it would be nice to determine what is causing the native NVRAM problem, but for now, EmuVariableUefi-64.efi may be the answer.

Another UPDATE...

There may be some instability with the Ethernet and IntelMausiEthernet.kext at 1Gbps.
I've bumped mine down to 100Mbps (SysPrefs->Network->Advanced, Hardware) and it seems to be working much better.

Will do more testing with that... my unit and/or cable has something wrong with it where the cable does not "lock in", so maybe it is not quite secure enough for 1Gbps.

But maybe IntelMausiEthernet.kext needs an update from current Linux sources.

Testing now
EDIT:

NVRAM issues seem to be addressed simply by following @RehabMan's recommendation and adding EmuVariable-64.efi to the Drivers folder of the EFI partition

I am doing a fresh install of Mojave and will report back. As previously mentioned in this thread, my first install was done on another hack and then I moved the SSD to the NUC8. Fingers crossed for a successful install via usb. Additionally I have wifi working via an ASUS AC53 Nano dongle. Things are coming along nicely with the clean install as well.

Update: A clean macOS Mojave install has successfully been completed via usb drive. System will shutdown and restart 2-3 times during the install sequence.

Update 2: No audio from 3.5mm jack in the front. HDMI audio works.

Update 3: Audio working natively

Last edited:
My biggest surprise would be the fact that the internal microphones located at the front portion of the NUC are verified functional.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.09.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.09.12 PM.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 531
  • Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.09.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 11.09.48 PM.png
    705.2 KB · Views: 572
it will be possible to get through an full fresh install sequence just by adding EmuVariableUefi-64.efi to drivers64UEFI.

Just tested on my NUC8i5BEK. The shutdown/restart issue is finally solved! I can now normally shutdown or restart Mojave without system hang. Very appreciate @RehabMan 's work on this.

Update 2: No audio from 3.5mm jack in the front. HDMI audio works.

The 3.5mm jack works on my nuc without any issues. Headphones tested ok, haven't tested microphone yet. HDMI audio also works, but I cannot adjust volume. It says "The selected device has no output controls". Not sure if the issue related to audio driver, or my monitor (Acer S275HL). Monitor connected to nuc via HDMI. Though Windows 10 system on my nuc has no issues controlling volume of the same monitor.

NUC8i5BEK Audio Mojave.png

There may be some instability with the Ethernet and IntelMausiEthernet.kext at 1Gbps.

The Ethernet works well for me. I haven't experienced any instability, but I haven't tested copy/download large files over network. I'll report back after test.

Last edited:
HDMI audio also works, but I cannot adjust volume. It says "The selected device has no output controls". Not sure if the issue related to audio driver, or my monitor (Acer S275HL). Monitor connected to nuc via HDMI.

The issue is none of those.
It is as designed by Apple in Cupertino, CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back