Contribute
Register

New Graphic Card (from Ati Radeon 5870 to Nvidia 660 Ti)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z68 > Need full model name > See Rules!
CPU
i5-2550K
Graphics
HD 5870
Hi to everyone,
i have a perfect working Hackintosh with 10.7.5 on a Gigabyte z68xp with a radeon 5870 as graphic card.
Can i change my graphic card on this system with a Nvidia 660 ti?
I read a lot of post about Nvidia 660 ti but i didn't understand if it works on 10.7.5 os.
There are some operations to do before for making this change possible?
Thanks in advance and excuse me for my poor english.

Hi to everyone,
i have a perfect working Hackintosh with 10.7.5 on a Gigabyte z68xp with a radeon 5870 as graphic card.
Can i change my graphic card on this system with a Nvidia 660 ti?
I read a lot of post about Nvidia 660 ti but i didn't understand if it works on 10.7.5 os.
There are some operations to do before for making this change possible?
Thanks in advance and excuse me for my poor english.

frandan

A Question .. why????
Is this just because you have it or is their a unique need like a program that could use it etc.

Suggest you do some homework on this - and have you done a backup of the current working drive to another partition / drive
that is a 100% copy of the boot drive - and have you booted from this ( which means you can revert from it back to the original partition.
Cause if you do this and it goes south (BAD) you will have to reinstall ( Do you wanna do this)
Suggest you research some info on Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner.
Great utilities.

Unless there's some "real Reason for this" I would leave or "Let Sleeping Dogs Lay" cause if you wake that DOG it may Bite.

Ok now for some math.
Suggest you look at this site - Toms Hardware - this site has lots of great stuff.
One of the best things they have is the Graphics Card Hierarchy list.
What this does is rank cards by their model numbers and the 5870 is a very good card (higher that what I have)- on par w the 650ti
And the 660ti is only one jump ahead - and some say making a single jump is not work the pain.
look for yourself.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Ok now You Decide .... "times up pencils down pass you test's to the right"

First of all, thank you for your answer.
The reason, liKe you have suggested, is simply that i have a 660TI and so i would use it on my system.
Thank You for the suggestion for the backup strategy: i have already installed carbon Copy cloner.
The question is if the 660Ti could run on 10.7.5. os already rvnning, i have to reinstall thes system or i have to pass to Mountain Lion.
Thanks in advance

First of all, thank you for your answer.
The reason, liKe you have suggested, is simply that i have a 660TI and so i would use it on my system.
Thank You for the suggestion for the backup strategy: i have already installed carbon Copy cloner.
The question is if the 660Ti could run on 10.7.5. os already rvnning, i have to reinstall thes system or i have to pass to Mountain Lion.
Thanks in advance

There is no driver support for the 660TI in Lion. You will need to upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to fet native support for the card. Make sure you select graphics enabler = no as the native support does not require any injection by Chimera.

There is no driver support for the 660TI in Lion. You will need to upgrade to Mountain Lion 10.8.3 to get native support for the card. Make sure you select graphics enabler = no as the native support does not require any injection by Chimera.

Thanks G.B. for the clarification about that. - I stand corrected :headbang: (were not worthy!!! Many times) :mrgreen:

Frandan

Here is a link on GraphicsEnabler=No
http://www.tonymacx86.com/chimera-archived-threads/87050-question-about-graphicsenabler-no.html

Thank you for the clarifications.
I will buy the Mountain Lion from the app store and i'll create a new usb bootable pendrive.
Last Question: can i try to upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion or the better choice is to do a clear installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back